Mint Julep's Mexico Story

<continuing hijack> Ejidos, along with another form of village called comunidades, make up Mexico’s “social property.” Together this covers about 50% of Mexico’s land area. Most of these village lands are rural, but a few are on the urbanizing fringe of big cities. Much of the Riviera Maya (the coast from Cancun to Tulum) is ejido land. Since the 1992 neoliberal land tenure reform, an ejido (village) assembly can choose to lease its land to, say, a developer;or, they can have their individual parcels surveyed and converted to private lots (dominio pleno). As Emiliana indicated, only a minority of the 30,000 ejidos have taken this last step; and, even within those, most just have privatized a few parcels, so far.

Kinda mean? A Pitting that’s kind of mean?

Listen, in a current Pitting, I’ve been called an amoral fuckwad because I want people to identify themselves before they cast a vote. THAT’S “kinda mean.” This Pitting, gently expressing skepticism and apologizing in advance for having done so, is a lover’s kiss. This thing is the oiled back massage of Pittings, completely with aromotherapy and Enya music.

How do you say “Oye, I’m such a schmuck” in Ladino?

:slight_smile:

One does wonder. I like Mint Julep. I read her thread about her dad and believed it, then posted in there. Then so soon after, the stabbing story. I did have a fleeting thought that the dad story was legit, but that she had really liked the attention, and so kind of made up another story. Like really, the guy just chased another guy and beat him up a little, and she changed it to “STABBING him! SEVEN times!”

The line that really got me was the bit about “I don’t only post about drama…” Now it’s certainly quite possible that two such dramatic incidents could happen in one person’s life quickly one after another…but it does stretch the imagination a bit.

It’s a screwdriver, man. Shoulda said “and would twist your head clean off…”

To continue this hijack, as an ejidatario I can attest that many ejidos or parts of have been privitized, mainly on the coasts. And the land has been purchased by many foreigners either through a fidecomiso or corporation.

Most small pueblos are surrounded by ejido land and as the population grows they spill over onto ejido property which in many cases gets converted to private land.

Is there a Happy Ending?

Fuck Enya; this bitch is pumping up the jams with Nana Mouskouri.

:dubious: What’s the good joke?

Also: who sullies good bourbon with mint leaves? Rich assholes in fancy suits and hats that bet on animal cruelty, that’s who!

The terms are mutually exclusive.

I read the thread and did notice that the OP, started on July 9th (Monday), says “stabbed 7 times yesterday” while the described incident happened Friday night (July 6th). But then I thought maybe she just heard the story on Sunday. I also found it odd that they were all stateside the very next day. Also, can you really know that it was 7 times? I mean, who’s counting? But then I thought maybe a police report mentioned the 7 stabbings. At the end, I believed that this is the story that was relayed to her, but was not confident about how accurately the person reporting it to her was with their story.

I tend to agree. Just because the local gossip mill doesn’t support the OP’s story we’re going to call it a fake? That’s a new level for cite please.

I don’t know if it’s true, half true, or a Twilight Zone repeat. I don’t care. It’s a message board and it’s entertaining.

I think the level of hijacking in this thread represents the general feeling of the board towards this pitting.

yawn

Or maybe its just people screwing around while they are waiting for MJ to reply to the polite request for clarification.

If you like reading fiction I can recommend some good authors. Much better quality than you can get on a message board.

No, I’m pretty sure it’s been hijacked. In fact, I’m checking with the local gossip mill to see if there’s been a ransom demand yet.

In fact, some of our writers are downright horrid. Take Boyo Jim, for example. He wrote one of the worst openings out there. So bad he got a Special Awardfor it!

Is this something we should keep in mind the next time you pass along any information?

I’ll be sure and cite the National Enquirer as my authority.

Don’t think so, it was very much an individual name before becoming a family name; would “of X” when it means “from X” also be a genitive, anybody knows? My cases-grammar-fu is having a brainfart. An example, the first few kings of Nájera/Pamplona/Navarre (at first the kingdom was called like its capital, so it changed names a bit until “Navarra” stuck) were the Aristas or Íñigos:

Íñigo Jiménez (already Iggy son of Jimeno), his son…
Íñigo Íñiguez, called Íñigo Arista or el Vascón “the Basque”, his son…
García Íñiguez, his son…
Fortún Garcés (this lastname, which ends in -s rather than -z but is otherwise the same form, does exist nowadays, although García is more common),

switch of dynasty to the so-called Jimenos or Ximenos

Sancho Garcés (son of García Ximénez, who had managed to marry his children to half the princes(ses)), his son…
García Sánchez, his son…
Sancho Garcés II (called Abarca, “he who has a long reach”), his son…
García Sánchez II, his son…
Sancho Garcés III el Mayor “the greater” (yeah, it was a family name), his son…
García Sánchez III (oh look, the other family name), his son…

it basically goes in the same vein until the 13th century. During the same four centuries in which all this Son-of was going on, other families already had fixed family names; someone could get a pile-up of a patronymic plus a toponymic plus a family name; but my point is that basically the -es/-ez spent centuries being an individual thing (not just in Navarre, but that particular list is easy to find and very representative).

Maybe not one of the all-time greats, but still a rather pleasing post/user name combo.