Miscarriage of Justice Omnibus Thread

Alabama, man.

That is one crazy ass story.

Isn’t driving drunk a basic human right? /s

Are we sure he wasn’t arrested for being the worst Robin?

The linked page will not display for me in Safari; it is demanding that I download Microsoft Edge.

ETA: I tried on my iPhone and got

BlobNotFound The specified blob does not exist. RequestId:85565c1c-b01e-0025-6f76-01e4e8000000 Time:2022-01-04T14:19:29.0393880Z

Same here, but found another source.

I’ll tell you something and this is fact. Do you know why so many drunk drivers get in wrecks? It’s because they don’t learn how to drive drunk.

Try this: Man stopped wife from driving drunk. Police charged him when she died walking home - al.com

For those not following the links, the manslaughter charge was squashed/dismissed back in 2020 (death was in 2018). It’s back in the news because the husband is suing various people and entities involved in the death of his wife and the indictment.

This is fucking doubly heinous:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/philadelphia-man-cleared-after-37-years-in-prison-sues-city/ar-AATd54B

“They used perjured evidence to convict him and then charged the perjurer, and never told him. And then Willie was warehoused for 38 years,” Diamondstein said

They had a guy lie on the stand to convict him, then they prosecuted the guy that they got to lie on the stand.

In his view, the official misconduct stemmed from "institutional racism, or pure bias.”

“The cases needed to be closed. The inner city minority were interchangeable, as long has you had someone in the defendant’s chair,” he said.

Sad but true.

Another one I cannot wrap my head around.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/michigan-brothers-freed-after-spending-25-years-behind-bars-for-wrongful-murder-conviction/ar-AAVpMoc?ocid=EMMX

Prosecutors KNEW that Brandon Gohagen raped the victim. But Gohagen said The DeJesus brothers murdered her.

Even though both brothers had confirmed alibis and there no evidence that tied either brother to the crime scene. ALL THEY HAD was a rapist’s word, which gave for a more favorable sentence.

Gohagen’s DNA was found at the crime scene, and he told authorities the DeJesus brothers forced him to rape Midkiff and then murdered her, Moran said.

What the Ever Loving Fuck???

Let us not ever assume that cops and prosecutors are good guys.

6 defendants, convicted only on the word of one eyewitness, spent decades in prison. Even though the eyewitness was a jilted lover of one of the dedendants and did not speak a word of English and the DATELINE TV program as able to show conclusively that the witness could not have seen or heard what she claimed to have seen or heard from where she claimed to have been at the time.

And then, AND THEN…it was shown that 2 violent gang members of the Sex Money Murder gang (real name) had admitted to killing the livery driver.

He ultimately discovered that two former S.M.M. members, who years earlier became government cooperators in a separate case, had admitted to fatally shooting a livery cab driver in a case that matched Mr. Diop’s murder.

Authorities made no attempt to free the Bronx 6, and did not contact their attorneys.

They knew that they were innocent, and left them to rot.

“It’s not our job to get them out of jail…” :roll_eyes:

It didn’t help their case that they were Mexican.

All they had was one witness. Turned out that 2 cops threatened the witness to ID their suspect.

Hell, beats having to go out and do your job, I guess.

Cops suck.

In a perfect world, the cops would have to pay the money and then serve in prison for 24 years.

This is minor compared to the other posts in this thread, but it’s a true story and it’s bothered me for better than thirty years:

I got a ticket once for making an “illegal” left turn into a shopping center parking lot. The only person within a thousand feet of the scene was the cop half hiding behind the building. Went to court to contest it. The cop actually showed up. The first six or seven cases to be heard were the same infraction as mine involving the same cop (so he could go back to work). The first three were found guilty, fined, assessed points and probably had their insurance hiked. Number four produced documentation that the traffic device (the “No Left Turn” sign) was bogus and his case was dismissed. My turn. I said Your Honor, same deal as the previous case and I was acquitted. The one or two after me were for the same infraction and were dismissed when they pointed out the mistake. I caught the cop out in the lobby and asked him if he was going to do anything about the first three “guilty” cases and he shrugged his shoulders and said he had to get back to work. And I didn’t know if I could have done anything further and I’ve felt a twinge of guilt for that ever since.

Not the cop’s job - the judge is the one who should have cleared those cases when he dismissed the first one.

That’s a good point, thanks; he probably did later.

A step in the right direction:

According to the ruling Wednesday from the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, when a lower court upheld that conviction, it made a mistake by “failing to require proof that [Mason] had actual knowledge that it was a crime for her to vote while on supervised release.”

Dunno about this one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-deputy-gets-18-years-after-detainees-drown-in-locked-van/ar-AAXu2zK?li=BBnb7Kz

Seems like a horrible accident:

Flood’s lawyer said while it was a terrible tragedy, others were trying to unfairly blame just the former deputy instead of the equipment problems, the troops that waived them around the barricades and supervisors who knew dangerous flooding was starting and sent him even though taking the women to the mental health facilities was not an emergency.

I think the man has a point.