MISSING: One Heart (or How Wondrous It Is...)

I wish you both all the best in the world… much love to you.

And much as Maeglin reverted to what he knew best:

Surely I would wish to hold
my lover naked in my arms for one night,
for I am more in love with him
than Floris with Blanchefleur.

Hoo-rah for putting my education to use.

Anthony & Tonya, I couldn’t be happier if it had happened for me. Oh wait - it did! And therefore I can say I know exactly how you’re both feeling right now and it totally kicks ass. Life just rocks when you have a soulmate with whom you can share all your dreams, fears, joys, failures, laughter and most of all a deep and abiding love. We are all very blessed people.

You guys know I wish all the best for you. Here’s hoping for a lifetime of love and laughter!

[sup][sub]And we need to do a girltalk again!![/sub][/sup]

The luckiest woman in the world!
Click here to find out why.
Jeg elsker dig, Thomas

you mean it was meant to be a secret?!? Even I noticed and I’ve had a “distraction” of my own… :wink: Hmmm…I’m sure there’s a better word for it than distraction…

Euty - aspartame, not saccharine - this is high quality sweetness here!

oh yeah, definitely :smiley:
{{nym}}
{{dpr}}

Um…if you think you can’t be poked in the ribs from a gabillion miles away, you are so WRONG!

Apparently I forgot to add the part about emailing me directly if you’d really like to send a donation. I’ve already got a couple of emails regarding this, and for that, many thanks. Email replies are forthcoming here in about five minutes for you guys. I had been avoiding the computer in general for about a week (re: a certain pit thread), but finally decided that there were more important things than validating a few unkind people.

The total support from you guys has been amazing. I thank you all again. WE thank you all again. :slight_smile:

[sub]And Shayna, gimme that ICQ #, baby. We both seem to be avoiding chat these days.

For all of us who (whether we be still in love or not) tend to lean toward the cynical and embittered, I absolutely must insist that a fifth of most excellent gin be swilled about to quench those ghastly fires of the heart and freeze those blossoms of infatuation and more that give the greeting card companies such fodder. NOTE: The gin MAY be mixed with tonic, as the quinine helps protect against malaria, a malady often mistaken for the first throes of love.

And now, as one who also relishes a good love story, I’m off to email Nym about making a donation.

Ah, duality and paradox do make for the most interesting of lives…

I said I wasn’t going to post to this thread, but, well, here I am.

dpr, congratulations, you’ve got a wonderful woman. You know this of course, but it’s worth saying again. Nymysys is special for so many different reasons, you are a good man, it’s a great match. From speaking with you, I can say that you really seem quite the gentleman, I’d be honored to share a pint with you someday.

Nymy, sweetness, I’ll make this brief since this is Anthony’s love letter to you: I am happy for you. You deserve to smile, laugh and love. Times might be tough, but I’ve seen you smile and I know you can laugh…now you’ve got the love. Make the most of it, damn the distance.

You crazy kids!

LNO, this means war. :smiley: We will go from language to language. Whoever runs out first, loses. Repeats are allowed, I suppose, but only when absolutely appropriate.

Another charming piece to celebrate our favorite SDMB couple, from the Carmina Burana Codex Monacensis.

The translation, of course, is mine.

If a boy with a little girl,
Dallies in a little room,
Fortunate is their joining.
With rising love
Shared between them,
Boredom’s driven far away,
A mysterious game strikes up,
In their limbs and arms and lips.

Ok, it’s sucky, but it’s still morning and I am out of practice.

Where you gonna go now, LNO? German? Italian? Anglo-Saxon?

:wink:

Regards,
MR

First off, I’d translate that as ‘lucky’ rather than ‘fortunate’ … but I’m just being obstinate.

German, from Walther von der Vogelweide:

Admittedly weak translation:
I came walking
to the grasslands:
my beloved came before me.
I was received
as a high-born woman,
I am still blissful now.
He must have kissed me a thousand times,
hurrah,
look, how red my mouth is!
[sub]Distinct overtones of a French pastourelle.[/sub]

I’ll forego the Italian for the time being, but I bet I can scrape up some Anglo-Saxon, just to show you …

[sub]Shamelessly lifted from Tom Weller’s Culture Made Stupid[/sub]

I leave the translation as an exercise to the reader. Yeah, it’s off-topic, but whatcha gonna do. My Anglo-Saxon is rustier than my epee.

Walther! I was just listening to the Palaestinalied this morning. Gorgeous, gorgeous song.

And I considered the meaning of “felix” for quite some time. I think that a simple translation of “lucky” is too probabilistic to capture the real sense of the line. Consider St. Augustine’s “O Felix Culpa,” and I believe you will see what I mean.

Your German’s pretty good, too. I don’t recall reading that passage from Walther ever. It is rather beautiful, unsurprisingly.

BTW, what site are you copying the text from?

That is definitely the worst Anglo-Saxon I have ever seen in my short life. :wink: Definitely worse than some of my fellow students’ translation exercise.

There are a couple of ripe passages from the Vita Nuova in Italian…but I left my copy at my parents’ house. You’ll have to wait until next week. :wink:

So here’s a real treat: a song in both Latin and German. It picks up on the pastoral setting of the Walther piece as well as the ludus of the Carmina Burana poem. But it has a definite dark side. An extremely dark side. Yes, it’s about rape…but it is a magnificent song nonetheless.

I’m gonna do the entire piece, just this once, in alternating lines of Mittelhochdeutsch and Latin.

It was certainly written by a man, and is quite remarkably sympathetic.

I was such a lovely child,
A maiden in my flowering,
The whole world sang my praises,
And I pleased all in return.

Hoy and Oe!
Cursed be the linden-tree,
That grows on the side of the road.

I wanted to go to the meadow
To pick flowers,
But there an evil man
Will deflower me.

He took me by my white hand,
Not altogether without manners,
He showed me along the meadow,
His hear full of deceit.

He grabbed me by my white chemise,
Frightfully coarsely,
He dragged me by my hand,
Frightfully violently.

He said: “Girl, we’ll head down
to that grove over there.”
Cursed be the path to there!
How I lament all of this!

“There stands a linden so great,
Not far from the road,
There I have laid my harp,
my drum and my lyre.”

When he got to the linden-tree,
He said: “Let’s sit!”
Lust ruled this man with an iron fist,
“Let us play!”

He grabbed me around the waist,
Not without fear,
He said: “I’ll make a woman of you,
How sweet your mouth is!”

He tossed me on the linen,
My body was revealed!
He assaulted my virginity
With extended lance.

He grabbed the quiver and the bow,
After a good hunt,
The man who betrayed me said,
“Now the game is over!”

Yeah, it’s a pretty tough song. But the language is beautiful, and the interplay of the two different languages works really well, IMHO.

I wonder if Nym and dpr like it. :smiley:

MR

Dude. You said labii.

:smiley:

Labii. He he he.

[Beavis]Labii are cool.[/Beavis]

I’m stuck between giggling at you dorks and being indignant at you hijacking my thread.
Giggling is winning, currently. :smiley:

Hey, I just posted my good will! It was that evil LNO’s fault for trying to one-up me!

And then Rasa ejaculated her labii in the middle of the conversation!

Never my fault.

MR

Nym, there’s already a Pit thread about Maeglin that you could hijack if you want… :wink:

MY fault?!

Ok, you’re getting some Italian and Russian thrown your way later on. Mufrius non magister…

Perge!

Perge, ne remorare!

Quod mare conceptum spumantibus expuit undis? Quaenam te genuit sola sub rupe leaena?

And to bring this back to the original hijack and describe long-distance relationships…

Nightingale,
please fly to my lady
and tell her of my situation
and she should tell you
the truth about herself;
she should let me know
how she is managing,
and she should think of me
and shouldn’t keep you to herself,
in no way,
so that you can return at once,
to inform me,
for I have no brother
who matters to me that much.

Mazel Tov

('course now I hate you both…but that’s just bitter old me)

**sub
        [/sub]O
        º
      sub)[/sub]
        +
        A
        " **