Mitt Romney's Speech

At this point, the GOP Establishment is desperate to keep Trump from racking up an outright majority of the delegates when the winner-take-all primaries start on the 15th. They may even have delusions of denying him a plurality, but I don’t see that happening unless he does something so outrageous that even his so-far-impenetrable Teflon fails.

Are you talking about Trump or Romney? :p. It would be truly bizarre, but not out of the realm of possibility, to see a mainstream Republican launch a 3rd party bid against Trump.

Of interest is that Mitt urged Republican voters to vote for the non-Trump candidate whom is most likely to win your state. He did not endorse Rubio. Could Mitt be angling for a brokered convention in hopes that the party turns back to him?

Please don’t insult the great Minnesotan Walter Mondale… :slight_smile:

If Lloyd Bentsen was debating Marco Rubio, he’d probably say, “You’re no Walter Mondale.”

This speech is a way better gift to Trump than an endorsement from Mitt would ever be. Trump will use it to counter all kinds of attacks against him. It is potentially useful against any attack whatsoever that has been traditionally used against Republicans.

Trump Critic: “Your presidency would be harmful to minorities.” or “You are a war monger who is going to get us into conflicts”

Trump: “You are thinking of an establishment Republican, which I am obviously not. In fact, I am such a rebel against them that loser Mitt Romney made a desperate speech to try to order you not to support me. You don’t have to so what he says, join our movement and together we will take America in a new direction.”

Romney seems upset that Trump is doing better with the voters than Romney ever did. It’s just a Shot in the Dark, but it’s interesting to see the Democrat Collective swooning over Romney’s rit of fealous jage.

Not that impressed, as Mittens apparently picked my brain and said everything I’ve said about Trumpy Wumpy since I’ve been 19 years old in 1990. No new news here, peeps.

Well then is he a narcissist, or does he just know his followers love him? :wink:

If Romney’s got an opinion, why didn’t he run and offer us something better? The guy who beat him last time isn’t competing this time around–seems like it would have been an easy nomination for him, warts and all, and maybe even a relatively easy election.

Go Trump go!

Is that a swoon?

Hey Willard - other than the hat, how does this distinguish The Donald from the rest of the GOP these days?

Maybe Rubio will cement this impression by winning DC a week from Saturday. The map of his victories could exactly match Mondale’s. How cool would that be? :slight_smile:

This is a serious question: what do we know about the correlation, if any, between primary and general election turnout?

I’m gonna have to steal that last line.

Sometimes The Onion calls things years in advance: After Obama Victory, Shrieking White-Hot Sphere Of Pure Rage Early GOP Front-Runner For 2016.

And more recently: GOP Statisticians Develop New Branch Of Math To Formulate Scenarios In Which Trump Doesn’t Win Nomination

I think there are many Republicans that have reached the point where they will NEVER vote for another Republican nominee but Trump, ever. If the Republican party continues to try to cheat Trump out of the nomination that he’s actually worked for, campaigned for, and will likely win, then the Republican party is finished. I’m a very tepid Trump supporter, at best, and I’m close to that point.

On March 3rd, 2012, Romney had won 40.7% of the popular vote in the Republican primaries. To date, Trump is at 34.3%.

Has George W. Bush or anyone from his admin attacked Trump? Would a denunciation from GWB carry much weight at this point?

Meanwhile the rest of the world wonders at how a nation can so cheapen democracy.

In what way is Trump doing better with voters than Romney did?

Well, ain’t none of 'em serious thinkers, not even compared to Romney. (With the possible/debatable exception of Democrats voting strategically.)

You missed the obvious companion piece to that last story: Smiling Nation Takes Moment To Enjoy Thought Of What RNC Headquarters Like Right Now

He has them excited. Nobody was ever very excited for Romney, they were only excited about the chance to get rid of Obama.

How many candidates were there at that time tho?

That’s a good question. And while I’m not sure about the answer (just because I haven’t heard them do it, doesn’t mean they haven’t), I think I may understand why the silence. It was pretty apparent that the Bush emertii weren’t helping Jeb! (I have to use the exclaimation point, he trademarked it lol) one bit when they were campaigning for him. I’m not sure they are the people Republicans want to hear from right now. I’m left wondering if they will come out with a statement later, as Trump gains more and more support, or if they, in typical Bush style, are cooking something up behind the scenes.

One thing I’m sure of, this is a damn interesting election. One of the more interesting ones I can remember.