MLB Playoffs 2018: Who Wins It All?

I swear some teams use up all their juice winning regular season games and don’t have any left afterward.

With the way things go in sports these days, I won’t be surprised if we end up with Rockies v. A’s.

Dodgers are now the NLWest champs, for the 6th year in a row.

Go, Blue!!!

My heart says Dodgers. 538 has the Astros at 22%, Dodgers at 20%, Red Sox at 20%, and everyone else in single digits.

Once again, I wish they’d go to a three-game series for the wild card teams.

Dodgers this year…Astros just got lucky last year …

I am liking the Brewers.

They got momentum.

Yanks over Brewers. Yankees are getting hot at the right time, Judge is back on, Stanton is hitting, Didi is coming back, McCutchen is getting used to pinstripes, Voit is rescuing the first base position, even Sanchez has hit a little lately. Winning 2 of the last 3 at Fenway helps the confidence and shakes the Bosox a little.

2001 Mariners won 116 games and didn’t even win the American League Championship

The major league record of 116 wins is shared by two teams and neither won the World Series.

Bear in mind that eight teams make the division series (obviously the team with the best record in baseball is not at risk in the wild card round) so the best team in baseball shouldn’t win that often. If it won the Series a quarter of the time, that would actually be impressive.

Of course, a lot of times that the team with the best record doesn’t win it’s not like the difference is significant between them and the team that did.

Dodgers all the way. Yes, I’m biased.

Who will win: Some AL powerhouse

Who I’d like to win: Any NL team other than the Dodgers.

How cool would it be for the Brewers or Rockies or baby Braves to take down the likes of Boston in the World Series?

That would be the ultimate underdog story.

But I’d also love the see the A’s advance. A Cinderella story matchup between the A’s and Brewers/Rockies/Braves would be awesome.

Well, not the Cubs :frowning:

Boston has been dominant this year, and show no signs of slowing down.

The Red Sox defeat the Dodgers in a seven game classic.

This is my feeling. Boston is a powerhouse. Houston is too, but they don’t seem as strong as Boston to me. I think Boston wins that Series and then beats up LA.

I would love for LA to win and snap their drought. Last year’s series almost killed me. I’m hoping that this year will be easier on me if I go into it expecting LA to lose.

And yes, I feel confident that LA can make it to the WS. They have crazy depth.

It’s hard to see how a team with 108 wins can fail to take it all - though it has happened 4 times (out of 11 such teams) - so I’m picking the Red Sox.

But really, I’ll be happy as long as the Not-Dodgers win.

Gods, I hope not! The wife’s from Boston. I don’t want to get divorced (or killed!)

I’m going with the Brewers. They’re on fire right now, and I think they can take on whoever ekes it out of the AL. Plus I’m almost always going to root for the NL team over the AL (Cardinals may be excepted.)

Don’t forget that Houston under-achieved this season. ESPN pegs their expected, or pythagorean, won/loss record at 112-50. With that rotation, I still think they are the favorites. They had some bullpen problems, but as they showed last year, using starters like Morton and McCullers as relievers can minimize that weakness.

I hope the Yanks win tonight, but if they do it’s off to the Fenway slaughterhouse. It’s a long road, but hey, you never know.

Baseball Reference has it at 109-53. I wonder why they use different formulas? from what I can tell ESPN is squaring the numbers; BB-Ref is using the exponent 1.82, which I thought was now the accepted way of doing it.

I really believe Houston is the better of the two teams but the difference is really small.

Anybody but the Dodgers. Please.

But they have a pretty strong team.

The decision to make Ryu the ace was a solid one, IMO. I think Kershaw might actually pitch better without having the weight of being the ace. But he can also naturally pitch a game 5 if it goes that far.