Mods, can't you tell Snowboarder Bo to shut up?

So, you’re saying that you intend to continue your practice until it provokes a reaction from me, the mods or the board in general?

Do you really want to post in a board modeled on such a police/nanny (depending on your political persuasion) state? I don’t, especially since there is an individual option to deal with the situation without invoking a board-wide prohibition.

As do you and I. Generally they mock each other’s investment decisions soto vocce and their taste in men openly. But then, they are usually well dressed.

No, those threads are evidence of disruption others are causing.

Dear heaven, listen to yourselves.

Snowboarder should be silenced so you don’t have to hit ignore.

Snowboarder is to blame for others’ actions.

The Mods should silence Snowboarder because he offends your idea of what this board should be.

And, by the way, women are catty bitches who only care about clothes.

Why don’t you all just stand proud and say he should know his place?

I think you’re confused about what a meme is. Bo has absolutely created a meme; it just might be a relatively short-lived one.

It’s your opinion Bo’s catch phrase isn’t funny. Some of us have spoken up to say we think it is.

That’s true.

But less than “way better” does not necessarily mean “OMG it’s not teh funny we must Get the MODZ to ACT!!!11111 froth

I think i see why you find Bo’s catchphrase funny.

Don’t you understand? If you keep it up it will be YOU and others like you that launch the meme. It will bleed over to posts outside of the ones made by our slope carving friend. The phrase will become a reference to the fruferall that you seem dead set on feeding. If this becomes a meme, it will be your fault - not his.

Call it the Barbara Streisand effect on unintended consequences. The more you complain, the more people are going to be familiar with it. That’s how memes start.

Yep. Ignoring it is probably the best strategy for people who hate it.

You’re doing it just to get a rise or reaction out of people, he wasn’t. What you plan to do us about eleventy billion times more annoying and might be against board rules, i.e. the t-word.

You can’t force a meme on your own. They just happen naturally, and usually by the community at large – Otherwise, it usually goes limp and backfires.

Whether the reaction here are the squeaky wheels over-reacting, herd mentality, or a legitiment complaint that represents the majority; by this time, had I attempted something similar, I would have knocked it off lest I just appear spiteful or stubborn.

I’m going to keep doing it for the hell of it.

That’s how this kind of thing works, doesn’t it? Why should I give the slightest shit about what other people feel about the practice and how it affects their board experience? Empathy and consideration-what are those but quaint and outmoded concepts?

It’s too late for that-it’s already affected my enjoyment of the board-that horse left the barn long ago. The Dope has been attractive to me precisely because I don’t have to endure a lot of the crap that I see in the other dank dark corners of the ol’ 'net (with some exceptions which have been banned of late, tho some remain, sadly).

I don’t care about motivations-it’s results that matter to me. Because I am willing to be honest and admit it, I get eviscerated while he gets off scot-free because he insists that his little phrase is completely innocuous? A troll and a true believer (like Starving Artist-note to the mods that for the purposes of discussion I have hung the latter label on him, not the former) are effectively the same, in the end analysis, and should be moderated exactly the same, if their effects on board culture are identical.

Never mind that, I can’t believe you could possibly be naive enough to believe that there isn’t even a remote chance that he isn’t being deliberate at all about this.

No he hasn’t.

I think they’d rather get a gripe.

Of course there’s a chance Bo is being deliberately annoying, but he
has plausible deniability, while you admit you’re being deliberately annoying. If you want people to see your POV, you’re doing it wrong.

How many Vicodins would it take for you to go to the quarry and throw some stuff there?

Absolutely. And the thing is that this ATMB thread has backed Bo into a corner. He can’t back down now. If it was just the pit thread, he could back down and quit posting it and admit it’s a bad joke he’s overly fond of. However, now he’s being called a troll in ATMB. If he backs down over that accusation it is tantamount to admitting he’s trolling. There is no way he is going to do that.

The people who are complaining in ATMB about this have guaranteed we will hear this lame ass joke again. We will probably hear it a lot. Hell, I hate memes, but I’m tempted to use it myself. It wasn’t funny when it started, but as the controversy grows and grows it gets funnier and funnier.

“Meme” is such a cool idea that it’s a shame to fuck it up like this.

A meme is a self-reproducing thought-virus. It shows up in someone’s head and hijacks their communication organs to reproduce itself in someone else’s head, then hijacks THEIR communication organs . . . before you know it, you’re wondering “Where’s the beef?”, you’re using the word “y’all,” you’re humming “duh duh duh DUH,” and you’ve told people that Chuck Norris doesn’t sleep, he waits.

Strictly speaking, any idea that is in any way repeated by more than one person is a meme. But usually we use the idea to reference highly successful memes, ones that successfully infect a high percentage of their victims and use those victims’ communication organs for reproduction.

I’m on a one-man crusade to prevent the obnoxious twisting of the word’s meaning into “a political idea I disagree with” (e.g., “What’s with this meme that all government is bad?”) But this use of the term, making it essentially synonymous with “catchphrase,” is at least as bad.

FWIW, Snowboarder, count me as another one who finds the schtick lame. It’s not catching on, it’s just making people think less of you. OTOH, I never would have posted in this thread if I hadn’t seen this abominable use of the word “meme”; I don’t care enough about the underlying rage :).

Yes. And I will small - “i” ignore you - other than thinking "It would be funnier if he said ‘Wat’ry tart’ ", unless it really annoys me some day, then I will capital “I” ignore you. I certainly will not Pit you, or complain to the Mods about something I can easily take care of myself.

***That’s ***how this kind of thing should work.

Yup, I’m tempted to start throwing things in quarries myself now.

Couple of things… just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. And I’ve never understood people who find shit funny (and further, encourage it) just because it pisses others off. This whole thing is simply bizarre.

I admire how hard he is fighting for his right to make a complete ass out of himself.

It’s not to piss people off, exactly. It’s to poke them a bit, smile, and ask them why they take life so seriously.