Moments of Silver/Senior Mishaps

@markn_1

I do this routinely. Buy things I already have on hand. It’s not too bad when it’s something you will eventually use.

I once ended up with three spray cans of Endust. That is probably a multi decade supply for me so I gave 2 away.

Today I had some local young people come to dust and run the sweeper. I had purchased reusable, washable dusting stick covers in preparation because I can’t find any reliable feathery type implements.

Could I find them this morning? No. One hour of frantic searching.

I ordered a new set from Amazon. They’ll be here Sunday. No big deal. Only $10.

Went to get my jacket for a quick local store trip. There they were sitting on a shelf in that closet all colorful and ready for chores. :joy:

This morning I used an ATM at my bank branch to get some cash. So I tell the ATM how much money I want, press [OK], and before the machine even starts counting the cash inside, my phone beeps. I look at it and it’s an app notice about an ATM withdrawal. Oh shit! Oh yeah, that’s me. :man_facepalming:

In my defense, I rarely use an ATM. And I only recently reconfigured the app to notify me about ATM withdrawals. Before it only notified about outgoing payments, and those all occur overnight so I’d wake up to a list of what went out last night. No beeps mid-day.

But still, I felt sorta stupid wasting all that perfectly good adrenaline.

This past summer I went out to dinner with the family. After dining, we left the restaurant and headed to my vehicle. I opened the door, got in, and realized that I had left the car running that entire time.

Nobody else noticed, and no, I did not mention it.

mmm

But that’s the only way to find the old ones: buy new ones. You were lucky that yours reappeared before the 30-day return window closed.

@needscoffee

This is true! I should’ve waited longer lol. :joy:

Good idea on the return though. I could do that.

in defense of the old and frail … my wifey (some 60 dog years younger than me) and still being in her 40ies has an interesting problem:

ME (week0): Honey, we are out of mustard
W: OK, I’ll get some on my weekly SM run

ME (week1): Honey, we are out of mustard
W (week1): Oh … I forgot … I’ll get some on my weekly SM run
W (week2): here, I brought the mustard you asked for
ME: Thx!

W (week3): here, I brought the mustard you asked for
W (week4): here, I brought the mustard you asked for
W (week5): here, I brought the mustard you asked for
ME: …

I’ll be 80 next year and definitely have senior moments. I’ll be fixing breakfast and realize I need something for the table, walk toward the other end of the kitchen and then just stand there, wondering WTF I was going to do. Happens fairly often. That’s just one example. Forgetting names is a more recent phenomenon. Names of musicians, singers, actors that I’m very familiar with suddenly become Gone With The Wind. If I stop thinking about it, it comes to me. Seems like talking about anything is a real chore.

This happens to me more and more often too.

I don’t like watching Jeopardy anymore, because in the past if I knew the answer I’d quickly say it before the contestant did. Now much of the time I know that I know the answer, I just can’t call it up fast enough to beat the contestant saying it. If I was actually playing I’d be confidently pushing the buzzer, then saying “what is…uhhhh…” BZZT