Monkees

Peter Tork

Peter was the doof, and I could empathize with him.

I do you wanna konw how big a dork I am? I’m 27 and just last year box the Monkees CD box set. That’s right. I have everything the Monkees ever did on CD. Anyone besides me ever hear the song I’m Gonna Buy Me a Dog?

I’ll post the lyrics later, but the way Mickey (I think it’s Mickey) sings it cracks me up.

Oh, sure. That was an actual release on one of their actual albums. I think it was the final cut on Side Two of something…kinda like the Monkees version of the Beatles’ “Her Majesty” on ABBEY ROAD.

I don’t really HAVE a favorite Monkee. How about if I rent HEAD tonight, and let you know tomorrow?

I remember that Frank Zappa appears in a cameo in that movie, leading a cow around by a rope. And he has one really cool line…delivered, I believe, to Mickey. Anyone remember what it was?

Is that the 4-CD (best of) box set or is there a complete set out of their Rhino re-releases I’ve missed? Guess it doesn’t much matter since I’ve bought all the individual reissues. And if anyone wants to see some REAL Monkeemaniacs (no disrespect to Persephone since s/he may be one too :)), I can point the way.

I certainly am one to some extent having traveled several times out-of-state to see them perform (in one configuration or another). Here’s one weekend I had the privilege of seeing Peter in New Jersey.

Following Davy Jones’ performance of Daddy’s Song:
Zappa: That song’s pretty white.
Jones: Well, so am I what can I tell you.
Zappa: You’ve been working on your dancing though.
Jones: Oh yeah, you know I’ve been rehearsing it lately–you noticed that…
Zappa: It doesn’t leave much time for your music. You should spend more time on it because the youth of American depends on you to show the way.
Jones: Yeah?
Zappa: Yeah.

Just for the record, its Micky–no “E” (and there’s no “E” in Davy’s first name either in case anyone’s considering using it :D).

I’m personally thrilled to keep bumping this thread up to the top… :wink:

Oh I remember that song! I wanna buy me a dog! Loved it!

Anyone besides me ever hear the song I’m Gonna Buy Me a Dog?
“You can’t teach a dog to do that, you can only train elephants.”

From the vinyl.

Love that song. Isn’t that the one with the Zulu joke in it?

Yes, and thanks to y’all I was humming it around the house all day yesterday. :slight_smile:

Yepper-roonie!

Jones: I was late on that one–I just got back from Africa, you know, I was playing cards with the natives.
Micky: Oh Zulus?
Jones: No I usually won! Ha ha!)

For those curious…The Monkees Lyrics Catalog and Gonna Buy Me a Dog (it includes the lyrics but not all the studio jokes)…also since someone asked it was the last song on the 2nd side of their first album (self-titled).

And heck! For anyone interested…
Episodes from The Monkees TV show will be airing all day long on VH1 on Wednesday, June 28th, ending with a re-run of their Behind the Music Segment & the debut of the VH1 original Monkees movies “Daydream Believers Movie.”

Thank you…

Has anyone heard anything about Daydream Believers?

I’ve seen the promos, but that’s about it.

I can watch episodes on local TV every morning @ 8:30 following the Partridge Family - but I know I’ll be up for a Sunday marathon!

As I said earlier, I have the box set, which contains a book which talks about the songs. Gonna Buy Me A Dog was supposed to just be a silly little song, but while recording, Mickey and Davy started playing around, adding the jokes themselves. That may be why they aren’t included in the lyrics on the link you gave.

Davy. It was the accent thing for me also.

They had a big come back in 86’ or so, and I dug out all my moms’ albums. Also lifted, um borrowed, the Beatles and Arlo Guthrie. She just asked me when she was getting them back the other day.

Sad story, I tried to tape Head one nite and set the timer wrong and never have gotten to see it. I must now hunt down a copy.

And thanks, I will now fall asleep humming Day Dream Beliver.

IIRC isn’t Davy Jones the reason David Bowie had to use that name?

They had another one in 96-98 too! (30 year anniversary!) :slight_smile:

You can find it at most big record (music & video) stores now like Suncoast/Record Town, etc. Or, you can order on-line from Rhino. :slight_smile:

Yeppers!

Like I said, I talk about them for hours…seriously…

Anyone remember Mike Nesmith’s video Sunset Sam?

and much more can be found on “Elephant Parts” a video album that the Nez put out. It has several of his other songs on it - including another favorite “Rio”. I picked up a copy of Elephant Parts on e-bay for less than $15 a couple years back.

He also has published a book recently, The Long Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet - I think its set as a western, so it’s not real high on my list of stuff to consume.

His home page is also a fun diversion:

http://www.videoranch.com/

At different times, I think I had crushes on all of them (except Micky–I just thought he was obnoxious and loud.)

Davey–'cause he was cute and English. (What can I say…I was a kid.)
Mike–'cause he was smart and cool.
Peter–'cause he was such an innocent and so sweet…(accidentally sells his soul to the devil to be able to play the harp…)

I LOVE Rio as well, which I have on CD. Truth be told, I am no as enamored of Nez’s solo stuff (just personal preferences) but this IS one of the songs I really like.

Regarding Neftoon Zamora, further information on it can be found here; as it started out (by Nez himself) as an internet project you can even find a sample read on this website. I have never tackled it myself, but friends of mine have loved it. :slight_smile: