Monthly Photo Competition #14 - Jan 2024 - “Bugs”

This is the monthly thread for January 2024. The topic this month is “Bugs”, chosen by @Dogginit

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here.
  2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.
  3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.
  4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm UK time on Friday 26th January

Voting deadline: 9pm UK time on Tuesday 30th Jan

Good luck!

Well, I guess this little critter can get us started…

From Bali. This spider’s abdomen was just a bit smaller than my thumb.

Imgur

Dragonfly arculus is art and architecture. The median veins in the wing form elliptical arches to join at a diagonal brace between the thick drivers. This joint allows the insect to alter the incidence and camber of four oscillating wings when engaging in aerial acrobatics. Canon A650, homemade macro rig.

Here is a nice white-lined sphinx, AKA “hummingbird moth” feeding on some clover, I encountered while on a late summer hike in the Sierra (it was so fast-moving my phone camera could not but get a fuzzy image of it’s wings):
Imgur

A blue and black Red Spotted Purple
Imgur

Imgur
Goldenrod Crab Spider at the dinnertable

Eastern bumblebee, taken in summer, Laurel MD:

Imgur

I didn’t think I had a photo for this month, but it turns out I do.

This lovely lady set up housekeeping between two T-posts in my woodshed.

Imgur

Here a different shade of pale:

Stick bug next to our front door.
Google Photos
(Argh! Stupid preview. Click to see entire photo.)

Bee on a passion fruit flower:
Imgur

I actually didn’t use this picture as my entry for the “flowers” theme last spring because I felt the insect was more prominent than the flower. But that makes it perfect for this theme!

Taken at South Yuba River State Park, California last April.

Imgur

Please click the image for full-size.
Imgur

Wave your hands in the air, like you just don’t care

With regret, I got nothing new. Rose chafer from archive.

Google Photos

j

I kept thinking I would go outside and make a “snowbug,” but that would involve going outside, so here’s one from 2021. Not especially great as a photo, but I would love to know what kind of bug it is. Taken in Puerto Rico.

Imgur

Not a particularly impressive photo; but contrary to expectations, I did find an actual bug* active in Southern Oregon in January. So I’ll go with it.

*a member of the order Hemiptera, the “true bugs”

Hmm, can’t embed image? Sorry for no-pic post…