Monthly Photo Competition #17 – April 2024 – “Change” {Poll Added}

This is the monthly thread for April, 2024. The topic this month is “Change”, chosen by @Fiendish_Astronaut and @Strinka.

Please note:

The general rules for the competition are here.

One entry per person per month . To make the photos easier to review please only post just once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.

Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.

Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Submission deadline: Saturday, April 27, 11:45 pm US EDT

Voting deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 11:45 pm US EDT

Good luck!

Imgur

Looking down at an array of different buildings built across the ages over the sight of Pudding Lane, the place where the Great Fire of London first erupted, 4th September 1666.

Imgur

Change from bud to bloom

Along the main road in a declining northeastern suburbia: (click through for hi-res)

It’s a composite (not a single image), so I’m not sure it counts, but at least it’s timely:

Demolition of Tiger Stadium with downtown Detroit in the background.

When the stadium was being demolished (sniff), they erected an 8-foot high barrier to keep out the lookie-loos.

Determined to grab an image, I affixed my camera onto my tripod and hoisted it as high as I could above the fence, activating the shutter remotely and shooting blind.

Imgur

Erosion
Sandstone boulder on the bank of the Hawkesbury River, NSW, Australia.

The Ruins

One minute ago it was so nice and sunny, and now this:

April weather! That will hurt the buds.

Graying
Imgur

This photo is Monterey, CA, the fog was rolling in from the left, and I liked how the fog made the water look gray, where it still looks blue in on the unfoggy right. The fog is turning everything gray.

Change? Sheesh, last week I was a tadpole, and a vegan!

This is the cocoon of a polyphemus moth, a large and quite beautiful silk moth. The caterpillar spins the cocoon and wraps it in a leaf from its host plant, in this case our river birch tree. This one was attached to the blueberry bush we have in our back yard.

Unfortunately, I missed the moth’s emergence – I checked every day, but apparently not often enough. Being nocturnal, they don’t get seen much by people, and they only live about 5 days. Their entire existence revolves around mating and laying eggs for the next cycle. Egg > caterpillar with 5 instars > moth. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Imgur

slowly freezing creek
Imgur

Skaftafell glacier in the background, and the area where Skaftafell glacier used to be in the foreground. :frowning:

Imgur

I saw this house today, as I was driving into Flagstaff. I have to assume this was not the builder’s original design:
Imgur

Exit Glacier, Alaska. We were told by our guide that hikers used to be able to reach over the rope and touch the ice here. There are year markers going way down the valley from the toe of the glacier indicating where it used to end - there is a shelter down below that at one time had a view of the glacier, but it made no sense since it is now totally surrounded by forest.
Imgur

OK, you really are going to have to click on this to see the full image and understand what it’s about. Changing weather viewed from Lindos Acropolis, Rhodes on Saturday. (A landscape photographed in portrait, which I rather like.)

Google Photos

j

Color changing material
A recent change in available technology
A change from egg to dragon

Imgur