More D&D on the SDMB?

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a successful D&D game running here on the SDMB. I was re-reading the old Middle Earth game with some fondness, so I thought I’d bring it up. Is anyone else interested in playing, either D&D or another system? I’d be happy to run the game, unless someone else really, really wants to be the DM.

I might be persuaded. Relatively new to D&D, though, so if that is a mark in the “negative” column, I completely understand.

Another D&D newb, but I’d be interested if I can meet the requirements. Time, skill, etc…

No experience required. I’d be happy to get a nice mix of experienced players and new players.

Haven’t played in over two decades, but might consider it.

I’d like to try this out. I’d prefer 3,5 or pathfinder, but will play anything. Haven’t tried it on this board before.

I’d be interested in playing something, D&D or otherwise.

I’ve recently been playing some pBp games elsewhere, so I’ve picked up some ideas on how to make the game run more easily, especially in regards to dice rolling. Happy to discuss that with whomever is running it.

I’d be interested. I’ve participated in a couple RPGs here and on other boards, but we’ve had difficulties with participation…but I’m willing to give it another try.

It’s been a while since I’ve played, but I’m interested if it’s 3.5 or Pathfinder.

OK, great! I’ll post something tonight or tomorrow about a homebrew setting that I’ve played in a couple times before and really enjoyed. Since some of you are familiar with 3.5 or Pathfinder, let’s plan on using one of those systems.

We’re talking board game? How does that work online?

I think the best way to explain it is an example: here’s a link to the D&D game set in Middle Earth that What Exit? ran about five years ago.

Combat get simplified down; players post an intention to use particular spells, or to attack a particular enemy, or to guard the spellcasters, or something else relevant. Outside of combat, it proceeds very much the way it would in a traditional face-to-face game.

Here’s the setting I have in mind

The game takes place in a medieval Europe, very loosely set in the period between the fall of Rome in the West and the fall of Byzantium in the East. I say loosely because I really don’t want to get bogged down in discussions of what’s anachronistic and what’s not. Magic is a real and vibrant part of the world, though viewed with suspicion and distrust by the traditional rulers and powers. Non-human races like elves, dwarves, hobbits and orcs mix with humans (often with violent results). Elves are usually semi-nomadic, merchants operating family trading empires between far-flung cities, or actually crewing the ships or traveling with the caravans transporting the trade goods. Dwarves are often master artisans in workshops somewhat removed from the bustle of the human world, or else vendors selling excellent goods to the wider world or merchants buying raw materials for use in further epic creations. Hobbits and Orcs are usually very rural, the former being mostly farmers and the latter brigands and outlaws, but both have a roguish streak inside cities. Players will be able to create characters from anything they can think of in medieval history or pseudo-history. This is really wide-open, and I’m willing to re-work the world a little to accomodate whatever the players want to try. If something seems unlikely given the world I’ve laid out, like a Dwarven wizard or an Elven street thug, we’ll work something out. Some of the character concepts that my players have either played or considered playing include:

–A would-be Crusader from Avignon in the south of France, disillusioned with the Crusades after the Fourth Crusade failed to attack the Holy Land and so instead returned to Italy to try to restore the Avignon Papacy.

–A Jewish Kabbalist sorcerer, primarily concerned with protecting his community and occasionally summoning golems to do so.

–A Viking warrior, traveling outward from Scandinavia to win loot and fame, and to avenge the death of her father at the hands of the Italians he was raiding.

–A Dwarven Freemason, hiding his association from the rest of the party and seeking to expand the power of the Masters of the Grand Lodge through manipulation of Catholic church offices in Italy.

–A squire of the Knights Templar, assigned to guard the transfers of gold between regional headquarters and trying to get transferred to the Holy Land.

–A necromancer, persucted in his Spanish hometown and traveling abroad to seek a more powerful master.

–A Genoese Robin Hood, wreaking havoc in the cities of Italy with his crossbow and twin daggers, robbing from the rich and giving to the poor (after his cut, of course).

–An Irish druid, expelled from his village and traveling through the world looking for a new home.

–A Mongol scout, conducting deep reconaissance on Europe in preparation for an invasion.

–A Sicilian Muslim rogue, working to destabilize the Norman Duke of Naples.

–A Byzantine noble, expelled from Constantinople after a family feud, looking to amass power and return in force.

–A Hashashin murderer-for-hire, driven from the order by personal conflict and looking for employment in the wider world.

–A Bavarian monk, whose particular order drew on the traditions of both the Franciscans and the Shaolin monks.
In short, almost any fantasy character concept you can think of is pretty viable here. If you’re not a history fan, I can help you find a good historical model for a character, or else other players can help out if they’re so inclined, or else we’ll just make something up out of whole cloth. In fact, doing so is a good way to establish what the campaign will be about; several of the characters described above had a backstory that related to Italian politics, so their campaign focused on a repelling an attempt to manipulate the Papal elections. If you’ve got an interest in some particular situation, like crawling through creepy Medieval dungeons filled with demons, or dense Scandinavian forests crawling with monsters, or dusty Levantine cities with lurking thieves, let me know, and I’ll write at least part of the campaign around that.

Does that sound interesting? I’ve had good luck with it in the past, but if everyone would rather use a more traditional setting, we can do that too.

Sounds good - if I need inspiration, there’s always M:TW. Do you still have room for players?

Perking up late, but I’d be interested. Would prefer 3.5 or Pathfinder, since that’s what I know, but if there’s a rulebook available online I could be convinced to be arsed to learn 4th Ed ;).

That setting sounds nifty.

I’ll give it a go, if you’ve got room for another. Most comfortable with Pathfinder or D&D, but willing to play just about anything.

I’m interested. What kind of commitment I would need to make, and how does it work to play on the SDMB? I haven’t played for about 15 years, but I’m quite familiar with editions 2 and 3 of D&D.

What level would the game start at? I’d suggest level 4, which is about where the PCs stop being one hit wonders.

My first idea for a character would be a Dvati Spellthief - a pair of albino twins who can perform sneak attacks to steal magic.

Second idea is a light horseman.

And if I play, my character will be a bruising half-orc (or maybe a quarter-orc) sailor/pirate/mercenary who’s hit some rough times, and who makes it a point to hide his orc heritage. He would probably be hired by the PCs as a guard/enforcer.

Works for me. Between 3.5 and Pathfinder I’d prefer the former.

Looks like the game might be full already, but if not I’d like to play.