More SNL: Favorite WU anchors/lines

From Norm MacDonald: “The new Kenny G Christmas album was released this week. Happy birthday, Jesus - hope you like CRAP!!!

Whoops, guess I should’ve skimmed less and read more before my previous post.:smack:

I just laughed out loud sitting at my desk at work. People looked.

NoClueBoy:

I’ve always associated it with Miller, though I suppose my memory isn’t the most accurate thing on the planet. If it was someone else doing a bit on a Miller-anchored WU, that could be why my mind afterward thought Miller said it.

I always loved Norm MacDonald’s deadpan stuff. “The American Housing Association stated today that Americans should spend no more than forty percent of their income on housing costs. In a related story, the American Crack Association said that Americans should spend one hundred percent of their income on crack.”

And on a plan that had been proposed in San Diego to construct an airport on a giant floating platform on the ocean: “It’s part of San Diego’s long term plan to hold a giant disaster.”

Norm was great. Remember the OJ verdict? Weekend Update started with a picture of OJ and Norm saying: “Well, it’s official. Murder is legal in the state of California.”

Another favorite Norm line: “Scientists have developed a pill that gives all the health benefits of red wine, without the alcohol. It’s called a grape.”

That was an era of sublime satire, wasn’t it? (I loved it all, whoever did it)

I’m glad to see all the Norm MacDonald love, because he was my favorite, as well. A lot of times, he’d tell a joke and there would be absolutely no laughter from the studio audience, but I’d be at home cracking up.

I’m surprised anyone like Kevin Nealon or (especially) Colin Quinn, though. They both screwed up their delivery so badly and so often it was like watching amateurs. Couldn’t stomach either of them in that spot.

The Norm MacDonald bit I remember most featured Will Ferrel commenting on Anne Heche. When told that Heche was a lesbian (as she sorta was at the time), Ferrel did the spewing-vomit bit. Then Norm started on the final joke about the world’s most dangerous job, East Coast Rapper, finally being eclipsed by… but he was facing the wrong camera, thus to the television audience, his head was turned away. Midway through the joke, he paused and said “Y’know, this would probably work better if I was on this camera,” evidently talking to the incorrectly-positioned cue-card holder. He started to tell the joke again, finally revealing that the dangers of being a East Coast Rapper had been eclipsed - by West Coast Rappers. The interrupted joke got little to no reaction and Norm dipped his fingers into the remains of Ferrel’s “vomit” and tasted it, to the audible disgust of the audience. “No, this is good. I normally don’t like Will Ferrel vomit, but this ain’t bad. Let’s just end it, good night.” Thus he managed to escape from a technical disaster on a (reasonably) high note.