Morse Code forbidden at the SDMB??

From this, I assume that any posting in foreign languages is from now on to be frowned upon? That kind of argument I can accept: no one expects moderators to know and translate any language, and it’s too easy to throw in otherwise banned material in a foreign language or code.

I guess the phrase “waste of bandwidth” is a pet peeve of mine. Back on alt.fan.cecil-adams this phrase got passed around like the only joint in a rec room party. There wasn’t a thread of more than 25 posts that didn’t have someone complaining that the thread was a “waste of bandwidth.” It was an ephithet designed to hurt and belittle, since the idea of “waste of bandwidth” suggests that one’s posts, and perhaps one’s ideas, are not even worth a few electrons.

Any appeal to not post certain material because it is a waste of the moderators’ time ought to be heeded. I’m sorry that I ranted unnecessarily at Alphagene.

Krispy Original commented:

You’re still using a computer and keyboard? Only times I use them anymore is for C&P – having more than a couple of threads and a “post reply” screen open mentally gets to be a bit of a strain.

Besides, you can do a better job with typoes telekinetically.

:smiley:

-.-. .- -. .----. - / .-- . / .- .-… .-… / .— …- … - / --. . - / .- .-… — -. --. …–…

Though if it was Jack Dean Tyler, the response would probably include a snarky reference to ‘circumsizing this thread’.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Alphagene *

So, that rules out posting in Pig Latin, too?

[Not edited by dropzone, a lowly user, on 02-05-2001 at 03:35 PM]

Well, they expected me to understand a foreign language, those bastards. :wink:

Not really. A politely voiced question about would have been fine in ATMB. But I suppose if you really want to talk about a moderators apparent incapability of operating a search engine (unlike your splendid self, who did it in 30 seconds), then yeah, the Pit it is, I guess. Be my guest. Just be prepared that responses in the Pit tend to be slightly less civil.

Your reasoning about bandwith has been dealt with accurately by others. However, it reminded me of my days as a wee newbie when you suggested to me I’d better live in a cave and crap in the woods, in response to a very polite request of mine after a knee-jerk reaction on your behalf. You seem to have a hard time to see the gray between the white and black, Opal. Relax, read it twice, think. Then post.

Oh, and the “your criticism is a waste of bandwith too, maybe more” schtick is really poor. Let’s leave it at that.

My dad is a long-time amateur radio operator (ham) since probably the late 40’s. He tried to get me interested in it and tried to teach me code when I was a wee lad. Unfortunately it never held my attention for very long due to the fact that I had borrowed a 300 baud modem from a friend and was logging onto different WWIV bulletin boards in the area. (Anyone else remember the WWIV network? Back when the internet was only for schools and the military?)

I figure, why do I need to learn this beeping code (not cursing there, it is just a bunch of beeps!) when I can send messages in clear, full sentences? (Bad grammer and spelling not withstanding.)

Now we have come full circle and people are trying to communicate in Morse Code again. Isn’t it ironic. Don’t you think? I little too ironic… (ok, enough with the Alanis.)

Regards.

Coldie,

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Despite some of the unpleasantness in the thread you referenced, it did allow me the fun of watching you struggle with your first UBB-code, and it’s always nice to read Wally.

Oh, and as far as I’m concerned, you’ve demonstrated a pattern. You’ve got my vote.

All right, so this thread has re-established two very prominent facts about the Boards…

1. The server’s running at 110% all the time and has a hard time keeping up.

2. The Mods (Spam bless their souls) are overworked.

Let’s just all learn to deal, okay? Sure, it’d be nice to have a ten-million-dollar server and fifty of the greatest mods on the planet.

Opal’s posted her question - “Why no code?” - and gotten her answer - “Much more of a hassle than other mundane stuff.” What the fuck is up with all this catfighting, people?!? Is today Universal PMS Day?!? Did the entire female SDMB population suddenly decide to spontaneously ovulate at the same time?!?

[Richard Bey]Where do they find these people?!?[/Richard Bey]

Coldfire, you obviously did not read the OP.

Jesus, man, what have you been smoking? I swear to god, I leave the pit alone for a day or two and everything goes to hell.

Oh, come on Alpha. You’re talking about me, aren’t you? Admit it! :smiley:

But seriously - I apologize to you, and will respect your wishes here.

Una

Poster 1: “Mom, she’s on my side of the car!”

Poster 2: “Mom, he’s breathing my air!”

Poster 3: “Mom, he’s calling me names in Morse code again!”

Mom: “Don’t make me turn this message board around!”

stofsky, truly perfectly appropriate and well said! :slight_smile:

Can’t count or read a calendar either, can you, bitch; let alone use this site’s very own search engine?

Wasn’t it about a year ago that you posted:

Now, I, for one, don’t give a rat’s ass if you want to be a bitch or if it’s caused by something else. Actually, I don’t give a rat’s ass if you are a bitch or not.

What I do care about is your mucking up this board when you act like a bitch and then bitch about people pointing out you’re acting like a bitch when you act like a bitch!

So, do us all a favour and follow Veb’s advice: Fuck off, bitch.

BTW, exactly how many times has the Chicago Reader had to threaten to sue me?

“Sir, they’ve gone to lightspeed… Prepare to follow!”

“No! Light speed is too slow!”

“Light speed, too slow?!?”

“Yes! We need to go to… LUDICROUS SPEED!!!”

Since the OP was originally directed at me …

And since I’ve already answered the original question …

And since this thread has degenerated into a personal snipe-fest that I don’t see any end of soon and which only serves to support some posters personal prejudices …

I think you can see where I’m going with this. If you all want to beef out your personal animosities towards each other that are unrelated to the issue at hand, please do it on your own time.