Mortification

Heck, I’ll read almost anything.

Some things I have read: Harlequin and Silhouette romances, The Babysitter’s Club books, Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins books, I’ve read every Xanth novel, I own several Star Trek novels (TOS, TNG and DS9), the Flowers in the Attic series and the Heaven series by VC Andrews, most of the Magic: the Gathering novels, Marvel comic books…

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

The monkey inadvertantly inspires several children to pray in a local elementary school in Ashland, Oregon.

Ha! I’ve got you all beat! I actually own, and have read… Star Trek novels. Now, some of those are actually not complete crap, so I have sunk even lower.
<small>I read Highlander novels.</small>

Catrandom

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Oh, that was a “not enjoyed” book. I’m mortified that I actually bought the silly thing.

Chicken Soup For The Soul.
Chicken Soup For The Woman’s Soul
Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover’s Soul
:::sigh:::
Rose

I told you not to be stupid, you moron.

(Actually owns the faux leather bound edition of ‘The More Than Complete Hitchhiker’s Guide’ by Douglas Adams, complete and unabridged, which includes all 10 pages of Book V: ‘Young Zaphod Plays It Safe.’)

I’ll never live this down.

Dr. Watson
“As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.” – Josh Billings

Well, I have not only read but own all the V.C. Andrews books, almost all the Xanth novels, several Janet Daily, Kathleen Woodiwiss, and Danielle Steele books, the Sleeping Beauty trilogy by Anne Rice (writing as A.N. Roquelaure), Belinda by Anne Rice (writing as Anne Rampling), and many fantasy based books such as Forgotten Realms and Dungeons and Dragons

(For the record, I cannot read Anne Rice writing as herself–it bothers me but I have no problem reading her under a pen name!)

Do I win?

I have a hobby. I have the world’s largest collection of seashells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you’ve seen some of it.

Let’s see…

Read all the XF novels, everything Piers Anthony wrote EXCEPT the Xanth series, read and own everything David Eddings ever wrote, every VC Andrews series except the last one about orphans, a lot of really bad bodice ripper romance novels by various authors, the Lestat and Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice…

Yep, I read a lot of trash. shudder Do I win?

“You are sweet, kind, and considerate… Like a grown up boy scout with tits!”

• Brian, aka SDMB’s one and only Satan.

I was a voracious reader of SF and fantasy in jr high & high school. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert Heinlein, E.E.“Doc” Smith, Asimov to Zelazny.
But, it mortifies me to admit that I own at least 60 of the “Doc Savage” series novels from those long-past times. The cover art features this grotesquely muscular guy in a Hulk-like tattered shirt with close-cropped, blond, wooly hair.

::Sigh:: What was I thinking?

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them. – Malcolm Forbes

I confess; I have sinned. I bought and read the first four books in Leo Frankowski’s “Crosstime Engineer” series.
I am not, however, hopeless. When Frankowski published the fifth book (Lord Conrad’s Lady), I passed on parting with my barely-earned cash in exchange for it. In fact, I didn’t even read the first chapter in the bookstore.

“I don’t just want you to feel envy. I want you to suffer, I want you to bleed, I want you to die a little bit each day. And I want you to thank me for it.” – What “Let’s just be friends” really means

Rackensack - I am, of course referring to her “woman’s centre”, “Honey pot”, “cleft”, “flower”, “sheath”, “female depths”, “hairy axe wound”, “bearded clam”, “muff” and any other descriptive terms you can think of for it.

Hey, Falcon. I’m sorry to tell you, but government workers are REQUIRED to be stupid. It’s in the small print.

Well, as one of those “members of the opposite gender” you were chasing, I thought about making a comment on your brain power capacity, but I thought better of it. After all, we’re still friends. For the rest of you, none of your business if he actually caught me or not!

I have to admit, I have far more sci-fi books, and trashy romance novels(?) than I have bookcases to hold them. Now that my husband is overseas, I’ll be reading the romance ones again. Just a glutton for punishment, I guess. I also have and have read most of the Xanth novels, they’re so full of stupid puns, they’re actually kinda funny. How sad is that?! And, don’t tell my kids, I’ve read most of my son’s Redwall series, about a bunch of badgers, weasels, rodents and things. 'mibad!

Do you purport to represent all government workers by this remark?

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them. – Malcolm Forbes

Redfield’s The Celestine Prophecy. What a load of crap.

Here’s mud in yer eye,
UncleBeer

Count another vote in the V. C. Andrews column. I suppose I can rationalize it by mentioning the fact that I read my first in middle school, and stopped sometime in high school.

I also read a couple of romance novels by Eileen Goudge around that same time period. Hell, those weren’t even that bad, for beach reading.

I’ve read two John Grisham novels. They were pretty much the same; only the names were changed.

Other than that, my taste in books isn’t all that bad. Comes with being an English major, I suppose. Ask Satan about my taste in music, though… :wink:

To renaissanceman: Per your question, Yes, in a loose way. Having grown up in the military, having several family members in gov’t in one capacity or other, I think I’m qualified to comment. Besides, isn’t there a saying that goes something like “it takes one to know one”? I’m poking fun at myself too here.

Ha! I’ve read the books “Last Tango in Paris” and “Deep Throat.”

(what can I say, I was a teenager.)

When I was fourteen, my friend Andrea and I read “The Happy Hooker”, “The Sensuous Woman” and “The Sensuous Man”.