You guys have ruined me.

I am turning into a grade A smart ass, and I owe it all (okay, most of it; okay, a little of it) to you guys. First example: I won the grand prize in a “fuck off and die” letter-writing contest recently hosted by an anonymous blogger.

Second example: I was critiquing a fellow writer’s work, who had written a pretentious, overwrought, boring preamble to his work of fiction that was nothing more than a rant aimed at those of us who had taken the time and effort to critique him the first go-round. I wrote my second critique in the same pretentious, overblown voice as his work. Oddly enough, he found *my *tone patronizing and mocking and wanted me to “fuck the hell right off.”

I’ll keep working on it. My hope is to one day reach Cervaise’s level of expertise.

A worthy goal, indeed. Keep at it, and always hold in your heart the SDMB’s other motto:

“It’s better to be a smart ass than a dumb one.”

:smiley:

Since the whole fighting ignorance thing is probably a lost cause, maybe it’s time to replace the slogan at the top.

I’ve lately been kicking around: “Where smart people come to judge others.”

Of course, I should probably spend less time reading GD and the Pit. . .
And I can see where the OP is coming from. After almost seven years here (wow, has it been that long?), I don’t know if I’m a more prolific smartass because of this place, but I’m definitely a more effective one.

By Jove, I think you’ve got it! :smiley:

Interesting the things one finds via the Friday vanity search.
Thanks, but honestly, I don’t consider myself a top-five smartass around here. There’s lots of Dopers who are smarter, faster, and funnier, at least in my view. I may’ve been on a bit of a roll lately but it takes years of sustained effort to deserve this kind of accolade.

All the same, I’ll take what I can get. :smiley:

Shouldn’t that be ‘smartass’?

What?

But isn’t it fun?

I dunno about being more of a smartass (although y’all give me good lines to ste – I mean, borrow), but I’ve ranted about stuff in class and brought actual facts and cites into it, which scares some people and intimidates others, just as I like it. :smiley:

Robin

When I find myself thinking of the Top 5 Smartassiest* Dopers, your name is at the top of the list. You’re one of the Dopers whose name makes me click on a thread regardless of the potential contents.

Sorry, didn’t mean for this to turn into a Cervaise mushfest. We will now return to our regularly scheduled snarking.
*It’s a word; look it up. If you can’t find it, check the other dictionary. Not that one; the other one, over there.

I also wish to become as respected as Cervaise(x2) is on my list of people who I would have gay sex with, possibly.

Wow, lately I have made a lot of feminine posts. Maybe I need to re-examine my sexuality.

So when you look up, whose asses do you gaze into?