Most likely a stupid scanner question

Okay

I have an a5 drawing (or is it A3? whichever is larger than a4)

I need to scan a copy of a section of this document lengthways. The lenth of the document is longer than the length of my flatbed.The width doesnt concern me because I only need a section.

So…Is it possible to take two images and make a composite of them and then resize down to A4 ?

Im using a Scanjet 5200c and if inclined I could install Photoshop or pretty much any other graphic app. I have imaging and Paint Shop Pro and Corel Draw 10 installed at the moment.

Oh and Brother Ledwitt if your reading this I am really sorry I didnt pay more attention in your Tech. Drawing class so that now I cant even tell the difference between an A2 and an A5 sheet. Maybe you shouldn’t have kept hitting me on the head with that T-Square you miserable old coot.

If it is bigger than A4, then it is A3. The DIN paper sizes start at A0, and you fold the page in half perpendicular to the long side to get the next size smaller. A5 is smaller than A4.

To your question:
Yes, you can do it. Scan the two pieces in, and be very careful to align the edges parallel to the edge of the scanner plate. Make sure to have some overlap in the coverage. Now, create a new image large enough to hold both pieces. Copy and paste the two pieces in, carefully aligning the second with the first. Crop the new image to remove extraneous crap, and scale the image. Now save it, and you are done.

BTW, estimating from a piece of paper in front of me:
A5=21cm X 15cm
A4=21cm X 30cm
A3=42cm X 30cm
A2=42cm X 60cm
A1=84cm X 60cm
A0=84cm X 120cm

Sure can, just use a pencil & make some lines on each one that line up then scan them & line them up in your photo program. Some do that for you with something called ‘stitch’

A0= 1189 x 841 mm (1 m2)
A1= 841 x 594 mm (1/2 m2)
A2= 594 x 420 mm (1/4 m2)
A3= 420 x 297 mm (1/8 m2)
A4= 297 x 210 mm (1/16 m2)
A5= 210 x 148 mm (1/32 m2)

Does anyone see a pattern developing here?

I do this quite often. You really don’t need to sweat the alignment on the scanner if you’ll be using Corel Draw, as it will let you rotate with a precision of .xx degrees. Pull a horizontal and a vertical guide out in your image window, turn on snap to guidelines and drag the image you’ll be rotating so that one of its corners (away from the edge you’ll be matching up with the other image) snaps to the intersection of the two guidelines. Then select the image twice, so the rotation handles and the center of gravity are visible and drag the center of gravity up to the intersecting guidelines. Then turn snap to guidelines off.

If it’s a black and white image, you can make set the background to transparent (no fill) and temporarily change the foreground color to something like red. That way you can see it as an overlay to really get it perfect. I feel like I’ve been verbose, but if you need more input, ask away.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help folks.

I managed to pull it off using PSP and C+P. Lining things up was very much a bite tip of tongue and guess the lines affair but worked out pretty well.

It was shortly after I accomplished this technically challenging feat that a colleague pointed out the size reduction button on the photocopier…