Most Underrated Sitcom of All-time

I sit corrected! Still, cancelled after one show meets my definition of “limited run!” :smiley:

I have to agree with those saying Wings and Newsradio. Great shows that were woefully underrated.

I’m holding back on Arrested Development, because there STILL is a chance it takes off. Remember Seinfeld was a cult show close to cancelation in its first few seasons as well.

I haven’t seen Dobie Gills in years! I loved that show. Bob Denver should be know for his Maynard G. Krebs performance rather than his Gilligan role.

Hasty Lumbago!

Herman’s Head and Dear John.

Lots of my favorites have already been mentioned (Arrested Development, The Hot L Baltimore, Green Acres, Sports Night, Sledge Hammer, WKRP, etc.), so I’ll add these:

He and She – Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss as husband and wife. He wrote comic books; she worked at Traveler’s Aid. Included Jack Cassidy as the star of the TV show made from the comic book, Kenneth Mars as their next-door neighbor, and the terrific Hamilton Camp as the apartment super. Just a very funny show.

Wish You Were Here – Great comedy (produced by Robert Altman) about a guy traveling around Europe. Each week he’d send a videotape home to a friend or family member. The videotape was alway done exactly like a video would be – no inserts or pictures that the main character chould shoot, and the main character had to turn the camera around to show himself. There would also be commentary and reaction from the person viewing the tape. Very well done and quite funny.

Best of the West – fine western parody sitcom.

I remember them both very well, although I thought When Things Were Rotten was uneven as far as laughs go. Best of the West , on the other hand was very funny and well written. And how can you not love anything with Tracey Walter ?Most of my choices (Barney Miller, Sledge Hammer, Police Squad, NewsRadio) have already been mentioned. If you mean by “underrated” the fact that they are not mentioned in the same breath as the “Ubersitcoms” (All in the Family, MTM, Cheers, Friends etc.), then let me add these: [ol]
[li]“CPO Sharkey”–Admittedly, you probably have to be a Don Rickles fan (which I am) to appreciate this. The military has usually been a good sitcom subject, and while not as funny as “The Phil Silvers Show”, it certainly was a lot funnier than “Gomer Pyle, USMC”, IMHO.[/li][li]“Coach”–I think Coach, Luther and Dauber comprised one of the funniest ensembles in sitcom history. True, the show fell apart when they moved to the pros in the last season, but before that I could always count on a good belly laugh each week. And Jerry van Dyke proved that, with decent writing, he really could be very funny.[/li][li]“Grace Under Fire”–Blue-collar sitcoms? This had it all over “Roseanne”![/li][li]“Phyllis”–I always felt that Cloris Leachman was the funniest woman on MTM (until Betty White came along); much funnier than “Rhoda”, one of the best theme songs ever, and Judith Lowry as Mother Dexter. Unfortunately, it fell victim to MTM overdose.[/li][/ol]

Mine have already been mentioned, except for one, and I can’t even remember its name or much about it.

It was about a senator (John Forsyth?) and his family, in Washington. David Hyde Pierce was the son-in-law. The writing and characterizations were brilliant, but I think I’m one of only a handful of people who ever watched it.

I do think it is the most underrated. Among my favorites, but rarely shown anymore. I always enjoy watching this incredibly well acted & written, intelligent show. Never descended to silliness and never dumbed down the characters like all other long lasting sitcoms did.
If you check the Jump the Shark site it is on of the few that never jumped. http://www.jumptheshark.com/

I know exactly what show you’re talking about, and I can’t remember the name either. David Hyde Pierce was married to some woman (played by one of those actresses that know one knows the name of, but everyone would instantly recognize from…somewhere) who was narcaleptic, IIRC.

Hang on…IMDB! :smack:

It was called “The Powers That Be.”

IIRC, Barney Miller is still regarded as the most accurate portrayal of actual police work of any American T.V. show. Mostly I’d guess for the amount of paperwork you saw the detectives doing.

I also thought Ed O’Neill was fantastic on Married with Children.

IMHO, the most underrated sitcom of all time was Captain Nice, from 1967. It was a little gem in a field of dull rocks, but few people ever saw it. In the same season, another network premiered an unfunny and annoying series called Mister Terrific, whose basic concept was similar to that of Captain Nice. The dreadfulness of Mister Terrific spilled over onto Captain Nice, and many people confused the one with the other.

Good call… that show had some brilliant moments. Holland Taylor as the Lady MacBitch power wife was hysterical, as was Valerie Mahaffey’s neurotic daughter, David Hyde Pierce’s pre-Daphne unrequited lust for the maid (and constant depression), etc… One of my favorite episodes was when the Senator’s mother (Cloris Leachman) asked her daughter-in-law (who hated her with a passion) to kill her.

NewsRadio
Freaks and Geeks
Nightcourt

I’m going to chime in with some recent ones – Grosse Pointe, Undeclared, and Freaks and Geeks

I second Undeclared. I’m almost ashamed to admit that I was excited to read:

I’m tempted to add The Phil Silvers Show, because I remember it being very funny and I never see it on anymore nor really hear anything about it (except that stupid movie Sgt. Bilko a few years ago). I remember Silvers as being just perfect in the role of Seargent Bilko. However, I haven’t seen the show in years, and I may be remembering it better than it was.

Hey, Captain Nice! When I was a kid, somehow I got hold of a novelization of Captain Nice, and I always wondered whether it was a real television show.

Hm.

Duck Factory with the then unknown Jim Carrey and Geena Davis as cartoonists.

chefjef, acsenray: You would probably enjoy the books of Paul Feig…I believe he was a writer for Freaks and Geeks. I never saw the show, but his books are hilarious.

I fuckin’ love these guys.

They actually followed each other–Captain Nice on NBC Monday nights at 8, Mr. Terrific on CBS at 8:30. And, IYRC, Captain Nice was played by a young William Daniels (“St. Elsewhere”) and his mother was veteran character actress Alice Ghostley . It was a better show than Mr. Terrific, but MT had a better theme song, IMHO.

I really loved the show Frank’s Place, which had a short life in the mid-80’s. It inherited the actor Tim Reid and, IIRC, some of the same writers and other people behind WKRP. I believe the critics liked it, as well, but it was canceled pretty quickly. And I can find virtually no one else who remembers this show.