Mounting an HDTV on wall question

Have an HD TV that i put on a table. I know if you buy the mounting equipment, cost is not that much. Of course you have to do it yourself which i definitely cannot do. Does anyone know how much it cost for the service to have someone do this for you? What if you buy it on amazon.com or ebay etc? I think if you buy from best buy etc you could get professional installation but how much does it cost generally? And do you mount tv on wall or leave it on table?

best buy charges between 150 and 250 to install it depending on the size of the tv. I did it myself, and it was quite easy. I live in an old home with plaster walls, so studfinders and standard 16" gaps in framing isn’t always the case, but I just put a bunch of small nails in the wall until I hit studs, marked it off (the tv is hiding these holes so no big deal) then bolted it in with a ratchet set and the bolts / information provided.

If you set the time aside and take your time it’s no big deal. You’ll also need someones help to lift the tv into the attachment once the brace is up

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!
—If you are hanging the TV above a fireplace, hold a thermometer to the wall when the fire is on to make sure it doesn’t get to hold and melt the tv.

If you are really against doing it yourself, find a handyman, I figure at $30 an hour it would take him 2 hours to do it all.

The hardest part is finding the studs and having the confidence that you found them.

If you’re nervous, it’d be cheaper to call up a handyman or have someone from work a family member do it for a few beers or a dinner. If all you need is the TV put up. Someone can hang the bracket in 10 minutes and with another person (you), mounting the TV takes a few more minutes.

If I had to take a guess, having Geek Squad or Home Depot or a contractor do it, from beginning to end. That is, “here’s my TV, here’s the bracket, here’s all the wires, make it work” is probably going to be two to three hundred dollars. A ‘handy man’ is probably going to be half that. A friend or family member will do it, with your help, for dinner or a few beers.
ETA, I absolutely did not see that post while I was writing mine. That was quite the simulpost with even the prices being almost exactly the same, and I was just taking an educated guess.

I asked my husband (contractor) - he said figure $100, tops.

This is exactly how I had the first TV hung in my TV. I made dinner for a friend of mine and his wife, while he hung the TV. Then we had a few beers.

The rest of the TVs went up via my general contractor, as part of the big renovation project. Since my GC is a friend of mine, I’m pretty sure he had a beer or two from the kegerator as part of that process, too.
To the OP: I’m about average when working around the house. Although this task isn’t rocket science, if you aren’t already comfortable with things like stud finders, then you’re probably doing the right thing. Best case would be to find a friend willing to help, and maybe teach you a bit along the way.

Now ask your licensed, bonded, insured contractor husband if he would take a job that’s literally just putting four lag bolts into a wall and charge $100 for it.
It almost wouldn’t be worth his time to even drive over there (unless he has a really empty schedule).

My guess is that he would do something to bump that bill up a bit. Whether he just told the customer it’ll be $200 or he sold some extra work like installing an outlet behind the TV.

Remember, he’s got a lot more expenses than a handy man.

I would suggest consumption of the beers do not begin until after the work is completed.

:smiley:

I’ve seen some pretty shoddy installations done by Best Buy. The actual mounting of the bracket is usually fine, but the routing of the wires can be pretty bad. Depending on how picky you are, that can be the part that makes or breaks the installation. I’m extremely picky, so it was important to me to have a proper electrical outlet behind the tv, and correctly-installed conduit and jacks for getting the hdmi cables from the equipment to the tv. If the equipment sits right below the tv, that’s not too hard (though I’ve still seen some laughably bad attempts, including unfinished holes in the drywall with wires pushed through them). But if the equipment is any distance away, as it probably would be if the tv is above a fireplace, it can be a little bit tricky. That’s not something I’d trust Best Buy to get right, and I probably wouldn’t hire a handyman to do it either, unless I knew he had experience with that kind of thing. But again, I’m extremely picky, and I want a very clean and professional looking installation with no wires showing, etc. I could have done it myself, but I’m busy and I don’t really enjoy that kind of thing, so I had a local (not affiliated with a retailer) home theater company do mine. They did a bunch of other stuff for me too so I’m not sure what the cost on doing just the tv would have been, but I’d guess on the order of $200-300 including having their licensed electrician install the outlet.

I did it all by myself in about 10 minutes and I’m not particularly handy although I do have all of the tools. If you have a drill, a set of drill bits, a socket set and a stud finder, it’s not that hard. If you’d have to buy them and then never use them again, the beer currency would be your best bet.

If you don’t like exposed wires, you’ll need something to cover them or you’ll have to fish them through the wall. The latter job is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I did this in my home and in my dad’s home. I did not hide wires. It was pretty straightforward at my house. In my da’s house we had some difficulties getting the studs to work relative to the desired hanging position. Even when we had that sorted out, there was a heating duct that “disturbed” the stud pattern, adding a new wrinkle. It all worked out, but it does go to show, there’s allways something that comes up in these projects.

It’s also a good way to get a new customer who may have other jobs around the house or who can recommend him to their friends. It’s part of networking - contractors do it all the time if it’s not inconvenient. We’re really talking about handymen, not contractors with big crews.

In my case, since we were texturing and painting the walls anyway, we actually opened up the drywall and attached backing plywood to nearby studs. I have a really solid mounting area now, with lots of room for error. :slight_smile:

This is what I was thinking. Geeksquad , Best Buy and the like are just charging ridiculous prices fro their name.

I have a friend whom does handyman work. His standard price for installing a ceiling fan in a room that already has a light fixture is $75. And that’s WAY more complicated than hanging a TV.

But really, I’d like to encourage the OP to at least try it himself. The idea of hanging a TV is a lot more intimidating than the act itself. Plus you get the added benefit of feeling good about yourself after you’ve done it.

Hanging a ceiling fan in a room that already has a light requires no new work, as long as the proper box for fan has been used, which tends to be the case in newer house.

It’s not easier than hanging a TV, but it’s certainly not WAY more complicated. In the world of Handy Man jobs, it’s probably about the same.

But to agree with Shakes (about it being intimidating) you’ll see in my first post I said the hardest part of the job is having the confidence that you found the (center of the) studs. After that, all you have to do is drill four holes and ratchet four lag bolts into them. As long as you found the center, even if the lag bolts don’t go in exactly straight, there’s plenty of wood for them to grab.
(According to every stud finder I’ve tried to use, my walls contain a rapidly shifting network of hundreds and hundreds of studs)

This has been my experience as well, which is why I let others do the heavy installation work.

Me, too.

I’ll usually test drill with a small drill to confirm I’m striking gold before putting the big drill in.

I have a wall in the garage where I drilled a long line of small holes without finding a stud! :confused: I gave up and used a drywall hanger. This was years ago, but it still bugs me.

Having done both jobs (and not being handyman-inclined), it’s WAY more complicated. I could hang a concrete elephant from my wall if I was sufficiently motivated to do so, but I’ll never try futzing with a wiring box again.

Yes, I connected the fan to the dimmer switch circuit and the light to the switch, why do you ask? :smack:

I suppose that’s probably part of the difference, I’m pretty comfortable working with electricity. In fact, I have my tool bag sitting a few feet away from me which has a few hundred dollars worth of tools in it, specifically for electrical jobs. The $5 neon tester (of which I have several) are all it takes to figure out which wire is connected to which switch. It adds about 2 minutes to the project and means you don’t have to take everything apart again after spending 10 minutes wondering why your fan is going at half speed.

Everyone that embarks on an electrical project should invest in one of these. Many other tools can save time, make the project easier or neater, but this, is dirt cheap and there’s no excuse for not having one if you’re working on wiring.
Like I said, I have a few of them. One in my tool bag. One in my car so when someone says “Hey Joey, can you take a look at this outlet/light switch/lamp”, I can use their tools, but I still have my tester and used to have one at my parent’s house since I was doing some work over there and so I bought a third one and just left it there for a while.
They’re cheap, buy one, learn how to use it, don’t get shocked. Getting shocked isn’t fun.

some stud finder need to be zeroed/calibrated at a known empty cavity area on the wall to give a good reading. some will also respond to wires, conduit, ducts, pipes or whatever in the wall and need to be distinguished with the device (for fancier ones) or just figuring out your construction.

if you do frequent work with house wiring then a noncontact voltage detector can be a life saver. it is very nice because you can do a check very quickly without having in contact with live wires or terminals.

also test any electrical test on known hot wires before starting your work to know the tester functions correctly. batteries wear out in the noncontact voltage testers. the neon light testers fail because connections in it go bad with time and use.

I can also tell you, with shocking experience, the bulb is very hard to see if you’re working outdoors in the sun. That’s a good time to A)check it against a known hot so you know what how dim it is and how to shade it OR B)Get out the analog meter so you can just watch the needle swing.
But analogs are getting really hard to find or a reasonable price. Mine finally gave up the ghost a few months ago and I had to jump to a digital one that I’m still getting used to.