Movie Scenes that still make you laugh. Or Cry

Its been 10 years, but even now, the "holy shit"exclaimed by the security guard in Matrix has me rolling on the floor.

As for cry, the ending of Angels with Dirty faces, the exectuion scene.

The last 15 or 20 minutes of any Rocky movie (except for the wretched 5th) usually get me a little weepy-eyed.

The saloon scene from Unforgiven. For me, it’s one of the most satisfying pieces of cinema I’ve ever seen.

I don’t know if it counts, but the monica belluci rape scene made me a bit queasy.

That was a tough one to stomach, indeed. I heard some people actually walked out of the theatre. That scene is probably the main reasons why I’ve seen that film only once.

The scene in Up

When Ellie dies.

Okay, so it’s a bit of a conjecture, but once a scene makes me cry, the urge tends to stick around.

Call me sentimental, but I always tear up when Dorothy hugs Scarecrow and says “I think I’ll miss you most of all.” It must be the allergies.

Still? The confrontation between Inigo Montoya and the Count Rugen, the six-fingered man in The Princess Bride. It’s been decades, I’ve seen it dozens of times, and this exchange:

*[Inigo corners Count Rugen, knocks his sword aside, and slashes his cheek, giving him a scar just like Inigo’s] *
Inigo Montoya: Offer me money.
Count Rugen: Yes!
Inigo Montoya: Power, too, promise me that.
[He slashes his other cheek]
Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please…
Inigo Montoya: Offer me anything I ask for.
Count Rugen: Anything you want…
[Rugen knocks Inigo’s sword aside and lunges. But Inigo traps his arm and aims his sword at Rugen’s stomach]
Inigo Montoya: I want my father back, you son of a bitch!

…gets me every single time.

Act V, Scene III:

JULIET
What’s here? a cup, closed in my true love’s hand?
Poison, I see, hath been his timeless end:
O churl! drunk all, and left no friendly drop
To help me after? I will kiss thy lips;
Haply some poison yet doth hang on them,
To make die with a restorative.

Thy lips are warm.

First Watchman
[Within] Lead, boy: which way?

JULIET
Yea, noise? then I’ll be brief. O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath;
there rust, and let me die.

You too, huh? Plus, same movie, no matter how many times I watch it, the “Battle of wits” scene between Westley and Vizzini still cracks me up!

I don’t understand. Does it make you laugh? Or cry? It makes me laugh, it is so fucking ridiculous.

And at the other end of the movie,

When Carl finally makes it to Paradise Falls, and looks through Ellie’s Adventure Book, thinking that it’s empty, that she never got to fill it in, only to find that she filled it with pictures of their life together.

sniff

I’m getting misty just reading the words and recalling the scene. Goldman found something deep and universal in Inigo’s quest. My dad died when I was 16 of lung cancer. I’m older now than he was when he died, and I still want my father back.

One of the great casting decisions of all time, Wallace Shawn as a villain. It’s made all the better that Shawn has claimed that he has no idea why people think he’s funny. He’s being serious, and people laugh.

The wonderful thing is that Pixar’s most emotionally powerful scenes are the ones with no words. “When Somebody Loved Me”, Carl and Ellie’s life together…genius animation.

Little known movie about Carl Reiner’s early adventures in show biz, called “Enter Laughing”. Rene Santori played his character, auditioning for a play, with instructions to ‘enter, laughing’. Which he does to absolutely hilarious effect, causing theater manager Jose Ferrer to mutter “…and they WONDER why I DRINK…”

I saw Up a few weeks ago and almost stopped watching it because I could feel myself getting “leaky” (as a friend of mine puts it) during the part Maiira mentioned. But I stuck it out because I knew the movie was supposed to be funny. Then near the end I almost lost it again.

The fact that the situation with Carl and Ellie was so similar to my own marriage (my wife died almost six years ago) probably had something to do with it.

Excuse me, I need a tissue. Must be something in my eye.

You ever get the feeling that you fucked with the wrong guy? That’s him.

I always feel like that makes Dorothy kind of a dick. I mean, Tin Man and the Lion are right there, seems kinda cold to start playing favorites. Specially since she just coincidently happens to choose the new King of Oz as the one she “likes the best”. Suck up.

Saw the movie “Wit” a few years ago. Cried buckets during the “Runaway Bunny” scene. Watched it again last year. Swore I wouldn’t cry.

Yeah. Buckets.

'Freedommmm!" Haven’t cried since the first time I saw the execution scene of Braveheart, but I still choke up something awful everytime since.