Movie sequels - The Horror

Hey y’all. I’m still taking a break from the boards, but I had to share this with you. I happened upon a list (I can say no more) of movies that the major studios are going to release in the next couple years or have in development. Needless to say, it looks pretty bad. I was especially appalled at all the sequels planned, so I am herewith submitting a sampling. I don’t expect too many responses, because what can you say, really? I just thought you might find it interesting and/or nauseating. Here goes:
Artisan Entertainment:
Dirty Dancing 2
Blair Witch 3

Buena Vista:
The Santa Clause 2
Grosse Point Blank 2
Pretty Woman 2
Shanghai Noon 2

20th Century Fox:
Dr. Doolittle 2
Untitled Me, Myself & Irene Spin-Off
Star Wars Episode II
Star Wars Episode III
Alien 5
Die Hard 4
Rocky Horror 3
Romancing The Stone 3
True Lies 2
The X-Files 2
The X-Men 2

Dimension Films:
Scary Movie 2
Halloween 8
The Crow: Lazarus
Mimic 2

MGM:
Basic Instinct 2
James Bond 20
Rocky VI

Miramax:
The Commitments 2

New Line Cinema:
Jason X (Friday the 13th?)
Rush Hour 2
Blade: Blood Hunt
Austin Powers 3
Freddie Vs. Jason
Friday After Next
The Mask 2
Spawn 2

Paramount:
Crocodile Dundee In L.A.
Star Trek X
Indiana Jones 4
Beavis & Butthead 2
Beverly Hills Cop IV
Death Race 3000
Mission: Impossible 3

Sony Pictures:
Stuart Little 2
Blue Streak 2
Zorro 2
Bad Boys 2
Godzilla 2
Jumanji 2
Men In Black 2

Universal:
The Mummy Returns
Jurassic Park III
Pitch Black 2
American Pie 2
Back To The Future Part 4
Mad Max 4
The Mummy 3: The Scorpion King

Walt Disney:
Fantasia 2005/2006
The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy 2 (part 1 is being released by Buena Vista in 2002)
Inspector Gadget 2

Warner Bros.:
The Matrix 2
Battlefield Earth 2 (?!)
The Matrix 3
Batman 5
Lethal Weapon 5
Pokemon 4
Superman Lives

This does not even mention all the remakes or movies based on comic books/TV shows/video games. It’s truly frightening. See you at the cinema.

::waves::

Hi woodstockbirdybird! Glad you surfaced to share the carnage with us. :wink:

~~ snip ~~
Paramount:
Crocodile Dundee In L.A.
Star Trek X
Indiana Jones 4
Beavis & Butthead 2
Beverly Hills Cop IV
***Death Race 3000 ***
Mission: Impossible 3
~~ snip ~~

Darn, I’ve got to get off the boards and out to the movies. I missed a whole bunch in the Death Race series.
on a different note - why do some sequels use Arabic and other Roman numerals?

Rocky Horror 3? There was a #2?

I hope you don’t think any less of me, but I’m going to have to see some of them:
Dirty Dancing 2 <–NOT this one. I hear it’s to have Ricky Martin in it!
Star Wars Episode II, Star Wars Episode III I think there’s a law about this; I must see the Star Wars movies.
Die Hard 4 <— Go John McClane!
The X-Men 2
Indiana Jones 4 I must–it’s got Harrison Ford in it.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy 2 (part 1 is being released by Buena Vista in 2002) <-- Even if part 1 sucks–it’s Hitchhiker’s, after all.
Lethal Weapon 5 Ah, here it is. I went through the list thinking “Where’s Lethal 5?”

Wow, that’s a lot of sequels I’ll be seeing, and it’s still such a small portion of the list…

Kind of. It’s called Shock Treatment. I remember reading a quote (I think from Richard O’Brien) that said “It’s not a sequel, it’s not a prequel… it’s an equal”. I don’t think many people agreed.

I’ve never seen it, although as a big Rocky Horror fan, I’ve always been rather intrigued (although perhaps not overly optimistic).

More info: http://www.rockyhorror.com/shock.html
[sub]Crocodile Dundee in L.A.?? (wipes eyes) Fair dinkum, it makes you proud to be an Aussie[/sub]

I have seen a trailer for this.

It’s not pretty. Think of the lamest, most overused, trite L.A. jokes you can, and you have pretty much seen it too.

Rocky VI?

I must go now, hara-kiri is calling.

You know, with Die Hard I, II, III and IV, The Fifth Element and The Sixth Sense, all I’m really waiting for is a remake of Ingmar Bergman’s old masterpiece The Seventh Seal and something like The Eighth Wonder of the World. Or whatever.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it would be a sarcastic list of proposed sequels, like:

Dead Poet’s Revenge In this sequel to the acclaimed Dead Poets Society, Mr. Keating (Robin Williams) dresses up as a female housecleaner to work for Mr. Perry. Keating torments and guilt trips Mr. Perry, until Perry finally accepts responsibility for his son’s suicide.
However, with the complete lack of originality actually shown by the studios, we should probably refrain from such a discussion as one of the movies might get made.

I’m so watching this if they cast Jim Carrey. I remember when I was about 8 or 9 when saw the original in a make-shift theater in my small town. A huge cloth (not a screen) was drapped down one end of a big room (usually used for Legion, Knights get-togethers) and a whole slew of plastic chairs were arranged facing the cloth. there was no concession stand, and the projector was set up right behind the chairs. the sound came from the projector, not from behind the screen. the theater played a movie about twice a month, and changed the movie ever two months or so.

The whole place was packed. and since i live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else… it was as though everyone just got together at someone elses home and organized a slumber party or something. I chose not to sit in the chairs, but instead join the sea of boddies sitting on the ground in front of the cloth. everyone just layed back and enjoyed the movie, it was great. after watching that movie, i was just so impressed. and when i heard there was going to be a mask 2 made withing another 4 years, i vowed to go see it. unfortunately its been a lot longer than 4 years, and i was sure it wasnt going to happen. but it now looks like it might be done… and everything be damned if i don’t watch that movie!

Often sequels’ titles consist of the title of the previous movie plus a number. But frequently they have a subtitle attached, which might be used in case said sequel could stand up on its own. The movies above probably do have subtitles, but in case they don’t, I offer the following to the studios, which they may use without even paying me. (Of course, all you big studio executives on the Straight Dope message board ought to give me a line in the credits for having come up with such a brilliant title. It’s the least you can do.)
Dirty Dancing 2: Filthier, More Revolting Dancing
Pretty Woman 2: Love in the Streets
Star Wars Episode II: More Toys to Collect!
Star Wars Episode III: Have You Collected All the Toys Yet?
Die Hard 4: You’ll Never Kill It
The X-Files 2: As if Your TV Didn’t Work on Sunday Nights
Halloween 8: Eight is Enough
Rocky VI: A Real Boxer Would Have Died by Now
Jason X: Jason Doesn’t Die—Get It Yet?
Freddie vs. Jason: Death in the Box Office
Crocodile Dundee In L.A.: A Different Kind of Penal Colony
Star Trek X: The Borg Never Quit, Either
Beverly Hills Cop IV: The Stale Prince of Bel Air
Jurassic Park III: Talk About Dinosaurs!
American Pie 2: There’s So Much More to Say!
Fantasia 2005/2006: Rehash da Noise, Rehash da Funk
Inspector Gadget 2: Another Gimmick
Batman 5: Forever and Ever and Ever and Ever…

I would welcome a Beavis & Butt-Head sequel. There were many intriguing questions raised in the movie that I have yearned to see answered.

When Die Hard 3 aka Die Hard With a Vengeance came out, we proposed the subtitles for about a dozen or so more sequels including (roughly):
Die Hard __: Isn’t It Dead Yet?
Die Hard __: Resurrected
Die Hard __: We Think It’s Really Dead This Time
Die Hard __: Dammit, Why Doesn’t It Die? (aka Dammit, Why Doesn’t It Stay Dead?)

I don’t remember any of the others.

What do you mean…No FROM DUSK TILL DAWN 4???

After te first one - which I found very brilliant(that just happens to be a matter of personal preference :slight_smile: ), the sequel 2 sucked so bad I actually felt the embarrassment on behalf of Robert Rodriguez. THen the 3rd of the series with Ambrose Pierce as the main character was a bit more watchable. Then quite recently, I saw another version but with a major change in theme: Aliens instead of vampires! and I dont even remember the title…

Assuming Robert Rodriguez has had a lobotomy, and the film industry is trying to cash in on his earlier reputation, I would expect a last effort in Vampire bashing!!!

I am really disappointed.