Movies unavailable for purchase on DVD, VHS, etc.

Fear Anxiety and Depression a pretty funny and quirky movie by Todd Solondz. It was charming and unexpected and a lot of fun. He even plays the lead. Later he went on to direct more challenging to watch films like Welcome to the Dollhouse, Happiness, and others.

You mean this FM? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s no longer in production, but it was issued on DVD. No copyright problems at all.

This is the one I came in here to mention. It shows up on HBO and the like every once in awhile but is not on home video.

ETA: Even the fact it was on VHS is news to me.

It did?

Anyway, I was living in a town that didn’t have TCM on their cable lineup at the time. :frowning:

Two other movies, both of them megabombs, that I want to see and don’t seem to be available are “Americathon”, which came out when I was in high school, and “Ishtar”. I did see “Ishtar” a couple years ago on TV, and it wasn’t THAT bad.

Another I’d like to see is a TV movie called “Special Bulletin” that was a “War of the Worlds”-esque TV broadcast regarding a terrorist who had acquired a nuclear weapon and used it to hold an East Coast city hostage (and did detonate it at the end).

I just don’t like to watch movies online, which is why I like to see them on other formats.

p.s. For some years in the 1990s, “The Music Man” was not available for purchase, not shown on TV, and not performed by theater groups because of an issue with Meredith Willson’s estate. I had another movie in my Netflix queue (can’t recall its title right now) that was completely removed from their catalogue because of a legal issue. I know this because I got an e-mail about it.

Zotz! (Tom Poston acquires a coin that gives him the power of death)
The Rocket Man (1954) (Charles Coburn, Spring Byington; kid gets ray-gun that fulfils his wishes)
Alias Jesse James (Bob Hope, Rhonda Fleming, Will Wright; Hope sells a life-insurance policy to Jesse James!)
Dance with Me, Henry (Abbott & Costello’s last movie)
Dragnet (1954) (Jack Webb and Ben Alexander)
The Kid from Left Field (1954, not the Gary Coleman remake!)

There’s a vendor on the website iOffer who sells DVD-R copies of a lot of out of print moves and TV shows, including several titles in this thread. I’ve only purchased one so far (the TV movie “How I Spent My Summer Vacation”)…the quality is okay, but since I couldn’t find it anywhere else, it was worth the $12 I spent on it.

“The Keep” was never put on DVD, it’s not hard to find old VHS prints online, though they are not cheap. Twenty bucks and up.

Also, Playboy used to put out music videos featuring Playmates dancing naked to current top hits (i.e., 80s hits). They were quite pleasant, they often were unintentionally funny as a surprising number of Playmates had two left feet when it came to dancing, and the music was often very good. (In one of the videos, the Playmate spends all of the video seated, all she could manage to do was sway her arms about. Apparently she was too clumsy to STAND gracefully, much less dance that way!)

I did a search for Playboy music videos a few years back for an article I was writing and discovered that you can’t find them for sale anywhere, not even on Playboy’s website. My guess: copyright issues because of the music.

I wanted to cite Song of the South, but I see it has been released in various non-US territories.

I have a copy of this that I had gotten from the Warner Brothers online store several years ago. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be available now.

I’ve been waiting for a DVD or BR copy of David Cammell’s brilliant White of the Eye for more than 15 years now. Not gonna happen anytime soon, tho.

I’d also like to be able to get 1973’s Cops And Robbers in a regular widescreen format instead of the shitty TV-sized version that they released 10 years ago.

There’s a French screwball comedy from the 1930s, BIZARRE BIZARRE, that I’d love to get a copy of.

There’s a classic “short” documentary called “Men’s Lives” that doesn’t seem to be commercially available either. It was made in the early 1970s, and I put “short” in quotes because it’s about 45 minutes long. I saw it when I was in college, about 10 years after it was made, and it was excellent.

It is, however, available to stream on Netflix. Or at least, it was about a year ago.

You mean the one with LOUIS JOUVET, FRANçOISE ROSAY, MICHEL SIMON, JEAN - PIERRE AUMONT, JEAN -LOUIS BARRAULT, NADINE VOGEL (1939)?

Try Eddie Brandt’s Saturday Matinee. If Donovan and Heidi don’t have it, it doesn’t exist.

Oops. nvm

I’d like to see mindwarp with bruce campbell again but it is only on VHS. The DVD wasn’t made and the blu ray is $60.

Yeah, well, time’s a trip, man. :smiley:

(cue ‘Twilight Zone’ theme)

You cannot currently buy a legit DVD of Let It Be. And the VHS went out of print.

You can currently buy a legit DVD of the other four films made by the Beatles, but not this one.

Production work was done for a Let It Be DVD but the survivors and the estates of the departed seem still uncomfortable with it and would rather sit on it.

“Yellow Submarine” is really hard to find.

Wow, great site. But BIZARRE BIZARRE is listed as VHS only, and the one time I found and rented a VHS, it was washed out to the point of being unwatchable (the print was so white, you couldn’t read the subtitles.)