Movies where the protagonists are total douches

I was watching Wedding Crashers over the weekend, and as I much as I love it , I couldn’t help but thinking that Vince Vaughn’s and Owen Wilson’s characters are total douches. Yeah the antagonist is real douche also, and they do change somewhat over the course of the movie. But, come on, going to weddings under false identities for the sole purpose of picking up chicks (and wearing Purple Hearts to get free drinks)? Douchey in the extreme.
What are other movies where the good guys are d-bags?

Well, I don’t know if ‘douche’ is the right descriptor, but the lead in Welcome to the Dollhouse isn’t particularly likeable. Cringe worthy, even.

The lead murderers in The Boondock Saints struck me that way.

Miles (Paul Giamatti) in Sideways is a total douche. Particularly when he steals money from his mother. Also, Randy (Micky Rourke) in The Wrestler is an amazing douche who screws up absolutely every relationship in his life.

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Total douche.

This is one of the big issues I had with Tom Cruise in The Firm. If he hadn’t cheated on his wife - they wouldn’t have had the goods to blackmail him . . .

I don’t know that I would phrase it as total douche, but Thora Birch’s character in Ghost World is sort of unlikable. Enid manipulates Seymour and flakes out on Becky over and over. Though I actually still liked her and identified with her. Not that I’m like her, exactly, but I could sort of relate.

Sideways.

The thing about a movie like Wedding Crashers is that they are meant to be douches that grow over the course of the movie out of their douchiness.

In The Last Picture Show, Jacy Farrow, played by Cybill Shepherd, does a lot of manipulating of various guys.

But they glamorize the douchiness of the wedding crashers and make that the whole appeal of the movie. It isn’t, “look at these despicable douches!” it’s, “check out all the poon these douches are getting by being douches. you should be douches, too!”

In most movies where the main character learns the err of their ways late in the film, the entire movie was sold on the premise of that err. Kind of hypocritical, if I cared about such things.

The thing with Wedding Crashers is- they never hurt the wedding or the reception… They don’t fuck shit up. They are shown repeatedly to be the “life of the party” in the montage.
The veteran free drinks is douchey, but otherwise I don’t see their behavior at the receptions to bad.

First thing that came to my mind.

In Pulp Fiction, almost every character is hopelessly a douche. Love it, but they are all rotten douches.

High Fidelity was the first thing that came to mind. In the end, I couldn’t root for the protagonist, because he had such Peter Pan syndrome.

Weirdaaron said pretty much everything I wanted to here.

The first half of the movie is much better than the second half for this very reason. The last half hour of the movie just feels like they’re going through the paces trying to figure out a way to end the story and make the characters see the light. I really like the movie, don’t get me wrong, but there’s just no way around the fact that they’re douches.

Agree. That, and the assholier-than-thou jerkoffs who work in the music store and look down their noses at you if your musical tastes don’t meet their approval hit just a little too close too home.

Agreed. The sole exceptions are probably Bruce Willis’ French girlfriend - a bit odd, but cute as a button and utterly harmless - and Esmerelda the taxi driver (macabre, but likewise harmless.)

Well Han Solo is kind of a douche.

No one will have seen this movie, and I wish I hadn’t as it was simply horrible, but the movie ‘Carriers’ is a recent example of this. (…it had Chris Pine from Star Trek. I thought his pretty would make the movie watchable…it didn’t.)

The protagonists are a bunch of stupid, self involved assholes who exist to mess everything up for anyone they run across.

I left halfway through. I wanted them to all die violently.