Movies you love your SO doesn't "get"

One of the oddest thing about my relationship with my wife is that we very rarely like the same films, but we watch them almost constantly.

She doesn’t do sci/fi. Fantasy is acceptable as long as it’s a romance story (Ladyhawke, The Princess Bride)

We had a choice to see Sweet Home Alabama or The Ring and she chose the former. I sat bored out of my mind. She went out and bought the DVD the day it came out.

I’m lucky because my wife doen’t care for chick-flicks and we agree on just about everything. The only problem we ever run into is she isn’t good at saying she doesn’t like something.

We could see an utterly shitty film and she’ll say she liked it until a year or so later.

One that does stand out in my mind is The Red Violin*, which she loves. I found it interesting and feel it might have been good had it been maybe an hour or less long, but at full length it was incredibly boring.

Movies my SO loves and I just don’t get:

Lord of the Rings - Good movie, no doubt, but it was so boring I couldn’t finish watching it. The second one I watched, and liked, but I don’t need to see it again.

Matrix Reloaded - Again, so boring I couldn’t finish watching it.

Star Wars Prequels - I sat through Phantom Menace. The only watchable part for me was the pod race. The rest of the movie bored me to tears. I won’t even give Attack of the Clones a chance.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Movies I love my SO doesn’t get:

Death to Smoochy

Chasing Amy - he likes Kevin Smith but doesn’t see it in this one.

He also doesn’t care about various old black and white movies I’ll watch on TCM. There are too many to mention.

Other than that, we both loathe romantic comedies but liked movies such as About a Boy (he liked it more than I did) and High Fidelity. I refuse to call them romantic comedies, though. We both loved Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. I’m still working on him to watch Slackers. We’re Coen brothers fans and Tarentino fans as well.

Movies I love but Hubby doesn’t get:

Blade Runner
Princess Bride
general Chick Flicks

Movies Hubby loves but I just don’t get:

John Wayne Movies
War Movies
BAD Sci-Fi (Just because it’s on the Sci-Fi channel, doesn’t mean it’s worth watching!)

Clearly! :smiley: Know any good ones?

I love musicals. My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, all the classics. One of my favorites is The Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Kline as the Pirate King. My husband just does not dig them–although he did enjoy Chicago.

He also loathes what he calls “rich Brit” flicks, i.e., anything based on Austen, Henry James, or E.M. Forster.

The ladybug and I love a lot of the same movies, usually drama and action films, like Heat and Pulp Fiction. We also like thoughtful, artsy films, like Brazil, Punch Drunk Love and Far From Heaven.

And thankfully, like me, she also dislikes most chick flicks, like romantic comedies and tear-jerking romances.

She accepts that I like SF and fantasy stuff, just doesn’t care one way or the other. She went and saw The Two Towers with me, and gave a pretty astute review of it, but it didn’t excite her, either.

Comedies and wacky films, however, she just doesn’t get:

Office Space,
Back To School,
Better Off Dead,
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,
Weird Science,
Real Genius,
The Princess Bride,
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen,
South Park: Bigger, Larger, and Uncut,
Army of Darkness
and, as seems quite common,
Anything by Monty Python

As you probably suspect, burundi, your husband enjoys Chicago because Catherine Zeta Jones, Renee Zellweger, and entire cast of lithe, limber female dancers spend most of the film wearing very little at all.

I must say, the ladybug and I both enjoyed Chicago very much. :wink:

What was bizzare, though, was that when we saw it in the cinema, in Alhambra - a predominantly Asian community here in LA - a lot of the Asian audience members got up and walked out, as if they didn’t understand it, and didn’t enjoy it at all.

Whazzup wit dat?

It’s just a big ol’ love triangle around here, isn’t it?

I forgot about Brazil. He HATES it. And the Big Lebowski. Sigh. Oh well.

He also hates British accents. Hates them in a 'I want to tear your throat out" kind of way. Aussie and New Zealander accents, even though similar to Brits, make him super happy. So, most Brit comedies (the only one I can think of is Waking Ned Devine… not the best, but a good example) are out for him.

Red Dawn
Time Bandits
Clash of the Titans
KTM