Moving Day! Share your stories

So today I’m moving in to my new place - and for only the second time in my life - I’m living by myself.

Of course, it would help if I’d finished packing already but that’s a minor detail. :rolleyes:

Just a few hours here at work and then home to fill up my car and then go meet the cable guy and the furniture place (they’re delivering a couch.)

Big move is tomorrow - my family is driving up from SC with a load of furniture and then we are transferring stuff from my old place to my new place.

I’m giddy but nervous - there’s a lot of busy about to happen.

So what about you? Got any good/bad moving day stories?

Do you know where the toilet paper is?

If the answer is anything other than “Right here in my hand!” get some right now.

Trust me on this.

This is the best advice you could take. That and keep something to drink for everyone involved handy.

I’d also suggest renting a set or two of hand trucks if you have anything that’s heavy or awkward to carry. They can make a world of difference.

Remember the measuring tape, and that it is usually easier to remove the door from the hinges than it is to squeeze that object that is just a half inch to big through the door.

Load the fragile stuff last, and in such a way that it won’t move. Also, you can never have to many straps and/or bungee cords to hold things in place.

I just moved last weekend.

I had two buddies with pick-up trucks, a friend and her boyfriend with an SUV and another friend lined up to help.

One friend with a pick-up got stuck in Philly due to weather, the couple with the SUV had their basement flood so they were in emergency mode at home and the one friend who was going to come by to help me clean and organize the new place pretty much just blew me off in favor of bloody mary’s that day. But at least the one other friend showed up … for three hours.

So, yeah, I pretty much moved everything myself, from a fourth-floor walk up.

Then I vented my frustration a little (swearing at the world, essentially) and promptly got an email from my new landlord that my nosy neighbor next door was “terrorized” because she hear profanities coming from my unit.

She’s in for a long year.

My story, from about 30 years ago when I hired professionals to help move about 10 blocks, was that the first thing I did when in the new house was to put 2 or 3 bottles of beer in the freezer. Then, when the moving was all done, I took them out and invited the guys who’d just done all the hard work to have a beer. We couldn’t find any glasses, so we drank out of coffee mugs, but it was a very refreshing beer!

Well, seeing as I’m at work for a bit - I left the toilet paper on the top of the pile of boxes I’m bringing over (I’m sure I would get some weird looks walking around with TP at the office all day . . .) :smiley:

The laws of moving dictate that you won’t see that roll of toilet paper until you unpack your last box 6 months from now. It will be tucked inside a lonely shoe that is missing it’s laces, belongs to the opposite sex, and that you have never seen before.

Best match of name and subject yet!!

They are actually not in the box but on top of them because I know I have lost rolls before . . .

My moving story is a paen of praise to the guys we hired.

We had a lot of heavy and bulky stuff to go upstairs - bedroom wardrobes, that sort of thing. Of course, when we bought that stuff we were living in a huge, modern apartment. The house we bought was built in 1932, and has lots of nice original features - hardwood waiscotting, original fixtures and the like - and has in addition, an original staircase up to the second floor that was obviously not designed with moving bulky objects in mind: narrow and twisty.

There is no way on earth the two of us would ever have got that stuff up the stairs, or at least, without major damage to ourselves, the stuff, and the house. But these guys made it seem easy! They twisted and tossed that stuff up the stairs in no time, with nary a scratch on anything. It was an amazing, almost circus-like sight, how three guys could take a solid wood wardrobe that must weigh more than 200 pounds and spin it over the bannister and twist and turn it up those narrow stairs.

When they were done I offered beers but they said no thanks - they another move that day! I gave them a big tip instead. They earned it.

Heh, oh man, just moved last weekend. Ugh! At least now we have movers do it. At 26,000+ pounds it’s a good thing. Tip your movers. Give it to the lead guy and let him distribute it to the others. Start packing early. It’ll take longer than you think. Mark / label your boxes well.

Back in my youth I always had to do it myself and, unfortunately, I’m a bit of a “collector” and the weight and packing required really adds up fast. I probably moved 25 times or so in all. The horror…

Nothing to add beyond what’s been mentioned. Keep handy toilet paper, a cell phone, good packing tape, scissors. Go to liquor stores to get boxes. Flatten them and recycle the newspaper and boxes when you’re done. Also have on hand some tools for hanging pictures, hooking up washer and dryer, fridge, etc. A hammer, assortment of nails, pliers, coupla screwdrivers, measuring tape and a pipe wrench ought to do it.

Fortunately for me, I’m moving from basically a pre-furnished room - so most of my boxes never got unpacked for the 18 months I’ve lived here. And I’m moving in to another lease - so no major appliance hook-ups. The hardest part is because it’s such a low-key move, I’ve had a hard time forcing myself to do the end packing of papers, shoes, etc. I’m thinking a lot of garbage bags as suitcase stuff will be happening . . .

The furniture move in will be mostly on my brother and boyfriend - although my mom is this 5’2" powerhouse as well.

A roll of that industrial-strength plastic wrap stuff has uses you’ve never dreamed of.

Beer and food for friends and relatives moving you; food for pros.

The last guys (pros) who moved us got a small buffet when they were done. We had very few leftovers to put away.

Last move, to a bought house, we had the luxury of self-packing and knew the layout in the new place. We put colored and coded labels on the boxes, and had matching labels for all of the rooms. It was easier for the guys to figure out where to take stuff than reading an illegible scrawl on the box.

Ugh…I loathe moving with a passion. For whatever reason, my oldest sister and her husband decided that three weeks after having a baby was a great time to move. They didn’t actually plan it like that, but it was how it worked out. I was staying with them at the time. In the midst of preparing for the birth, they did very little packing. Then my niece was born and my sister got mastitis and PPD. She was pretty useless as far as either moving went or watching the baby for extended amounts of time. We ended up getting a lot of help from her in-laws, but her MIL is infirmed enough that she couldn’t be left with the baby either. Of course, she wouldn’t admit that. The logical solution would have been to have my sister and her MIL with the baby somewhere out of the way, but my sister couldn’t handle being around MIL for any length of time. It was an interesting move. My BIL was stressed to the point that he wasn’t eating, which made him extra grumpy. This was almost two years ago. Am I over it? Not so much.

More recently, a different sister moved out of our dad’s house after two years of living with him while she slowly renovated a house. Everyone involved was ready for the move to happen, so when I came home for Christmas she decided she would move while I was there. I was only home for three or four days. On Tuesday, she decided she would move on Wednesday. I was okay with helping, but had plans with our mother in the afternoon, so I told her I was only free until three.

She hadn’t done any packing either (apparently nobody in my family likes to pack). She didn’t have a moving truck rented. Around ten o’clock Wednesday morning she was still in bed. Still, no packing had been done. Still, no truck had been rented. I ran some errands with my step-mom while my dad rented the truck. At some point in time, all three of us were out of the house. When we got back, my sister was gone and not answering her phone. My step-mom had plans with her sister and niece, so they escaped for the day. My dad and I filled the truck up with furniture that we knew she was taking. This also involved going into her bedroom which was a wreck and reeked of dog poop to disassemble her bed. We got the truck filled with furniture by two o’clock. She finally returned around two-thirty and was upset that we didn’t wait for her. I was thankful that I had an excuse to leave shortly.

Perhaps if we were slightly more organized in my family I wouldn’t loathe moving so much. As it is, I do really hate it. I’m also annoyed with my family now. Grr. Deep breathe. Deep breathe. Serenity now.

As a veteran friend who always helps out on a move, I can say that you will majorly piss people off if this isn’t remedied by the time they arrive.

The last time I help my sister move was on New Years Eve. Who the frick asks people to trade partying in the new year for moving furniture? Plus, I get over there and she’s decided since all the stuff that holds things, armoires and bookshelves, etc, are now empty that it would be a great time to oil the furniture. My clothes became a giant Old English femine napkin.

Oops. It’s been packed by a well-meaning friend. Ask me how I know this.

My moving “ditty bag” contains

Keys for the new place
TP
Paper towels
Hand soap
Plastic cups, paper plates, plastic forks
Box knife
Basic tools - screwdrivers, hammer, pliers
Basic first aid kit
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Change of clothes
Medications

Having friends help you pack is a mixed blessing as you have absolutely no idea what box they put a given thing into, and they can pack up the oddest combinations. Yes Brian, I’m talking about you and that box with the Rice-a-Roni, printer ink cartridges, two books, and a throw pillow that you labeled as “Living Room.” :smack:

Absolutely. I own a pickup truck, a moving dolly and a pile of moving blankets. This makes me popular. If friends ask me to help them MOVE, I always stress that I will be there to help them MOVE boxes that they have packed and I’ll help MOVE furniture that they’ve emptied and prepared for MOVING.

Failure to understand this division of labor has resulted in me leaving and saying “Call me when you’re ready.”

I am not OCD. Except for moving. When we moved from an apartment to our first house every single thing was in those staples file boxes. We moved so fast that the house was empty and we were on the road before all the people who had offered to help showed up. Our most recent move we had pros move the stuff. They were pretty fricking amazing. The moved everything in five hours. With normal human beings it would have been a 16 hour job.

And if you need boxes Borders or Barnes and Noble both have excellent ones. All boxes are the same size and have a ridiculous crush strength. Borders boxes also only need the bottom taped.

We helped my wife’s new boss move once. They requested(demanded) that everyone be there at 9 am. They then made us wait 2.5 hours for them to disassemble a table saw. We were under strict orders not to put anything on the truck. Because the saw needed to go in the back.

They put all their books into one really large box. For those of you who do not know, books used to be trees. 27 cubic feet of wood is heavy.

This was eight years ago. I am still mad.

This person ended up being about as good a boss as she was a mover.

God bless you, HeadNinja. I’ll help you move any time.

Nice. I just go to the liquor store. They’re not as strong, but they’re a better size, IMO.

Apparently, they didn’t have me help them move - because once I say, “Yeah, I’ll help you move” I follow that up with, “and you’ll be following my packing rule - a box for every book, and a book for every box.”

melody - you might want to stop by the grocery store tonight on your way over and pick up a cheap plastic bowl, party cups, paper plates, paper towels and a package of mixed plastic utensils. You’re not going to want to unpack anything tomorrow, and if you need to feed people, you’re set. A box of cereal for Saturday morning will also do wonders for your morale.