Mueller's OLD Lasagna Recipe -- Do You Have It?

Somehow, I’ve lost my prized, 30-year-old recipe for lasagna that I got off a box of Mueller’s lasagna back in the 70s.

Their NEW recipe is not the same and I have turned my apartment upside down trying to find the old recipe. I contacted Muellers, but they sold the pasta division to another company who will not return my calls.

Do you have the old recipe from the Mueller’s box–the one BEFORE the quick-fix recipe where you don’t cook your lasagna noodles first?

PLEASE help an old lady. Thank you.

I put “Mueller’s,” “lasagna,” and “recipe” into Google and this site came up:

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/ITALIAN/Lasagna_Classic.html

Is this the old recipe?

1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese or 1 container (16oz) cream style cottage cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Meat Sauce (recipe follows)
16 oz. MUELLER’S Lasagne, cooked 7 minutes, drained
12 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
In bowl, combine ricotta, egg and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. In 13x9x2 baking dish, spread 1&1/2 cups Meat Sauce,. Layer 1/3 of the lasagne noodles, 2 cups sauce, 1/2 of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.Repeat… Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheeses. Bake in 350 oven 50 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes. Makes 12 servings
MEAT SAUCE: In 5-quart dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon Mazola corn oil over medium heat. Add 1 pound ground beef, 1 cup chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, minced, and 1/2 cup chopped parsley. Stirring frequently, cook 10 minutes or until beef is browned. Add 2 cans(28 oz each) crushed tomatoes, 1 6oz can tomato paste, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons dried basil, 1&1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Makes 7&1/2 cups

Hope this is what you needed, I love it and have had this recipe I cut off the box for years!!! Good Luck

First, as a poster who is half Sicilian, I want to note that using cottage cheese as a substitute for ricotta is an affront to the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may His noodly appendages never be unsauced).

Second, as an administrator, I’m going to move this thread over to Cafe Society, because it’s just that kind of thread.

Mueller’s Original Lasagna Recipe on box (circa 1970s-80s)
Lasagna noodle:

1 lb RF-Lasagna
¾ lb Ricotta Italian Cottage cheese
2 eggs
4 cups Meat sauce (see below)
1 lb Massarella Cheese (or American)a
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1.5 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

Boil lasagna 10-12 minu8tes in 6 quarts salted water.
Add cold water until lasagna can be handled. Do not drain. Mix salt and Ricotta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Grease baking dish and arrange with parallel layers of Lasagna. Cover with meat sauce., ricotta mixture and thin layers of mozzarella. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Cover with another layer of lasagna, sauce and cheese until all is used. Bake in moderate oven about 30 minutes. Serves 8.

** [COLOR=“Red”]NOTE: I would double the amount of Ricotta cheese and eggs called for. This recipe fills and entire 13 x 9" pan and the amount of Ricotta in the original recipe isnt enough…Also, I would measure the lasagna noodle to fit the pan before boiling, otherwise, there are noodles that are boiled (used) and thus wasted.**
Meat Sauce[/COLOR]
1 lb ground meat (1/2 lb beef + ½ lb pork sausage)
¼ c olive or salad oil
1 large onion chopped
1/4c chopped parsley
1 clove garlic chopped or pressed
1 carrot (grated)
1 No. 21/2 can tomatoes chopped or mixed in blender for a few seconds

1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
½ cup dry red wine
12 oz water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tso basil

Saute onions, parsley, garlic and carrot in oil. Add meat and brown. Add tomatoes, paste, wine, and water, salt pepper and basil. Simmer 1 hour

I wrote down the recipe from the box some time in the early 80’s, and it looks exactly like this one.

I have no idea what massarela cheese is but american cheese in lasagna is just wrong and it makes baby Jesus cry :frowning:

Massarella cheese is probably the same as mozzarella cheese:

My guess is that this spelling is derived from some dialect of Italian where this is closer to the pronunciation in that dialect.

With a surname like “Collins,” might we assume she is Italo-Irish? :wink:

Thanks very much.

American cheese? :eek: Oh, the horror!

You have to love the Internet. One of my favorite things growing up was a dark chocolate cake my mother made, using a recipe from the 1956 Betty Crocker cookbook. No cake in the current versions comes close. A quick Google, and I have the exact recipe!

For what?

My in-laws use Velveeta in their lasagna, and it it just as bad as you would think it is. Barf-o-rama.

Hi, Oldmaid85. I too love that old recipe and have used it for years. Mine was lost about a year ago but I had made it when I was visiting my daughter up north so I called and got it from them. I hope this is the same one you are looking for. I even e-mailed Mueller’s but they didn’t have a record of that particular recipe. Here goes…
Meat Sauce - 1 lb. ground beef, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1/4 C. parsley, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, 1/8 tsp. pepper, 1/2 C. chopped onion, 1 tsp. basil, 1/3 C. tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 2/3 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. oil. Brown garlic and onion in oil. Add rest of ingredients and simmer for about 45 minutes.

Lasagna - 1 pkg. Lasagna Noodles, 3 pkgs. Mozzarella cheese (the original calls for 1 pkg but we like extra), 15 oz. Ricotta cheese, 2 beaten eggs, 1/2 C. Parmesan cheese, divided. Mix beaten eggs and Ricotta cheese. Spread 1/2 C. meat sauce in bottom of pan, Add layer of noodles, layer of Ricotta cheese and egg mixture, top with a layer of Mozzarella. *Spread 1 C. of meat sauce, noodles, Ricotta and egg mixture, top with a layer of Mozarella. Repeat from the * one time. Spread 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese on top, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I hope this is what you are looking for. Have a great holiday season.

PS - I am an old lady also - we have to stick together. :wink:

American cheese does have SOME place (one of my favorite comfort-type items is a grilled cheese using American), but lasagna is definitely not it.

Classic lasagne

1 pound ground beef 1 teaspoon sugar
¾ cup chopped onion 1 tesaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons salad or olive oil ½ teaspoon pepper
1 can (1 pound)tomatoes ½ teaspoon oregano leaves
2 cans (6 oz. Each)tomato paste ½ pkg.(8 oz.) lasagne noodles
1 pound ricotta or cottage cheese 2 cups water
1 tablespoon chopped parsley 2 teaspoons salt
8 oz. Mozzarella cheese ( shredded or thinly sliced

in large heavy pan, lightly brown beef and onion in oil. Add tomatoes (put through blender or cut with edge of spoon), paste, water, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile cook lasagne as directed, drain. In 13x9x2” baking pan, spread about 1 cup sauce. Then alternate layers of lasagne, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese, ending with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes until lightly browned and bubbling. Allow to stand for 15 minutes; cut in squares to serve. Makes 8 servin gs.

didn’t print as laid out in word but everything is there. hope this is the one you wanted.

The OP’s last activity here was 2003. I think she’s managed to get by without the recipe.

Who wants a recipe for old lasagna, anyway?

Oh, somebody in an old thread, I guess.