Murdaugh Murder Timeline: Alex Murdaugh. This story gets crazier by the day

There’s a death in 2015 that is being investigated. The maid died under some mysterious circumstances in 2018.

The son Paul is involved in a deadly boating accident in 2019 and he’s charged, but then he and his mom are murdered in 2021.

Then Alex Murdaugh is shot, but it turns out he hired the guy to shoot him. Also, Alex was apparently stealing from his law firm.

They’re going to need a 4 hour episode of Dateline for this story.

The only mystery is why this sort of oligarchic privlege survives into the 21st Century. Am I the only one who thinks police and prosecutors would have resolved all of these deaths and shootings in short order if this family wasn’t so well connected?

He was shot in the head by the guy he hired, and was supposed to die, but he survived.

From a BBC news site (my bold) :-

“Mr Murdaugh’s attorney said on Wednesday that he devised the plan in the mistaken belief that his son would not be able to collect insurance money if he took his own life.”

This guy’s a hot shot lawyer … surely he’d know this.

That sounds like a C&W song !
:musical_note: :musical_note:
He was shot in the head
by the guy he hired,
and was supposed to die,
but he survived.
Big John,
big bad John.

Meh, this is a pretty bland game of Fiasco. Where is the mayor’s wife’s kidnapped Bichon Frise, stolen vintage Buick Grand National with a large duffel of bearer bonds in the trunk, and the underground hallucinogenic fungus farm hidden beneath the county water reservoir?

Stranger

The YouTube channel That Chapter has a couple videos detailing the case:

Mike, the host, is a very entertaining narrator.

Alex was arrested yesterday. Video of him at the bond hearing doesn’t show a bandage or any visible wound. Yet, he required a airlift to a hospital a week ago?

Where’s that bullet wound to the head Alex? I don’t even see a shaved spot for treatment.

Early on, authorities termed Alex Murdaugh a “person of interest” in the murders of his wife and son - then reportedly backtracked later and said he wasn’t (according to the N.Y. Post).

His family has claimed he has a solid alibi for the time of the shootings, but on the other hand he’s accused of hiring someone to kill him in a life insurance scheme, so have they ruled out a hit man in the double homicide?

I haven’t seen anything about his wife having a big life insurance policy.

Just imagine the true crime writers jockeying to write this blockbuster.

Alec Murdaugh arrested today in Florida on suspicion of misappropriating funds associated with the settlement in his housekeeper’s death in 2018.

Murdaugh is now a person of interest in his wife and sons deaths.

He left rehab today and immediately arrested for taking funds from a settlement.

This guy went from pillar of the community to monster overnight.

Corey Fleming is the attorney that represented the house keeper’s family and handled the wrongful death insurance claim. The money went into a account controlled by Murdaugh.

Murdaugh burned through a lot of money propping up his family’s lavish lifestyle and his drug habit.

https://kcue.q-mediadigital.com/partner-news/alex-murdaughs-close-friend-corey-fleming-gets-sc-law-license-suspended-over-misconduct-allegations/

Bumpdate: Alex Murdaugh expected to be charged in his wife’s & son’s murders

Why would they tell his family he’s going to be charged if they’re only presenting the case to a grand jury later this week. It’s rare but the grand jury could decline to indict, right?

Looks like he was also disbarred this week.

He’s having a Steve McCroskey week

Life in jail has been rough for Murdaugh, what with lousy food and limited TV viewing choices. He did manage to wangle a remote control in a deal with a “one-legged” trusty.

“I can watch more than one channel,” Murdaugh said. ”Cost me a honey bun, three packs of Pop-Tarts, deck of cards and a bag of ramen noodle soup.”

Kind of a comedown for a big-time legal player.

Former bank CEO – and childhood friend of Murdaugh – was convicted on federal bank fraud & conspiracy charges for assisting Murdaugh with stealing money from his clients. Two of whom are the housekeeper’s sons.

Satterfield said he and his brother were never told about the money, which they allege was instead misappropriated by Murdaugh.

Michael Satterfield testified that he spoke to Murdaugh well after Murdaugh had received the insurance money, but Murdaugh assured him they were “still making progress” on it. He said he contacted Murdaugh again in June 2021 after seeing reporting about his mother’s death, but under cross-examination by Griffin said he was unsure if that conversation happened before or after Paul and Maggie Murdaugh’s murders.

murdaugh has taken the stand. it is on full time on msnbc and cnn.

i’m not sure how well this is going to go. murdaugh has stated that he lied to the police due to paranoia from opiods.

he has owned up that he lied to everyone, police, family, and his lawyers regarding his whereabouts that night.

he is a very messy crier.

I never imagined he would take the stand. Reports are that two jurors were crying during his testimony about “finding” his wife and son.

Without digging into the details of this case (the whole “real life murder as public entertainment” thing bugs me) is it common for a prosecutor to move forward with this little evidence? Not saying he is guilty or innocent. It just seems the evidence presented seems pretty lightweight to me. Assuming what is being report in the press is the prosecution whole case (which they’d have laid out in opening statements right?), it basically amounts to:

• being shifty as all hell
  • lying about being at the murder scene
  • having done a bunch of fraud
  • taking a hit out on himself

I get CSI has brain washed us into thinking murder cases need an enhanced video of the suspect commiting the crime combined with some super high tech DNA tests, but that doesn’t seem like an air-tight case to me (IANAL of course). Especially as the defense team is presumably the best in the business given the money and prestige involved in this case. Am I missing something?

I’m bored this morning, so I’m watching some of the coverage. This man really likes to talk. And he talks in circles. It’s really hard to keep up.

He was at the murder scene within 5 minutes before it happened but didn’t see or hear anyone or anything else. He lied about that until he took the stand.

The clothes he was filmed on Snapchat wearing earlier in the day are nowhere to be found.

The guns used were likely the family’s own guns but have never been located.

He drove extra fast to and from his parents’ house. He claimed to have left to go to their house before the murders, then had to admit on stand that he must have left for their house after the murders had already happened. Being at the parents’ house was supposed to be his alibi.

His mother’s caregiver says he was only at his parents’ house for 20 minutes, not the 40 minutes he claimed.

There’s nothing super slam dunk, I don’t think.