Musicians as Movie Actors

The Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines thing got me wondering…Which musicians do you think are the best actors?

Some candidates: Sting, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Cher, Bette Midler, Phil Collins, Madonna, Mark Wahlberg.

Any others?

Tom Waits has my vote.

Dexter Gordon in ROUND MIDNIGHT.

Uke

my vote is for Harry Connick Jr

Just add water, it makes it’s own sauce!

Ice Cube, Lee Ving from Fear, Mojo Nixon…

Yer pal,
Satan

Kris Kristofferson

TT

“Believe those who seek the truth.
Doubt those who find it.” --Andre Gide

I love Kris Kristofferson!

What about the “snowman” from Smokey and the bandit…what was his name? He did the theme song I think.

Mark Wahlberg is a good actor, I often forget he sang too.

Will Smith!Dont forget him!

I am not a country fan, but I thought Dwight Yoakum was excellent in Sling Blade.

Marky Mark gets my vote (minus the funky bunch.

He’s not a great actor but, I’ve liked about every movie he’s made. And that is how I judge actors. I don’t care if they can cry on cue or not. Only if I am entertained!

BTW, Sting was great in “Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels”

"Snowman’ was Jerry Reed, and I agree that he’s a good actor. He’s actually done a lot of movies, and he’s always worth watching.

Willie Nelson did a really good job in “Thief”, although he had a small part. And I liked Kristofferson in “Lone Star”.

Randy Travis did a decent job in his “Touched By An Angel” cameos. Also Frank Sinatra in “The Man With the Golden Arm.”

I never seen any of his movies (or bought any of his music) but I’ve read a number of movie critics who were surprised by John Bon Jovi’s acting ability.

The Spice Girls.

hehe, but seriously. I’d agree on Mark Wahlberg. I’ve been quite impressed by his acting, what little I’ve seen.

“So what you are telling me, Percy, is that something you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else that you have never seen.”

Personally, I have a soft spot for Bob Geldoff as Pink in “The Wall.” I mean the guy shaved his eyebrows and everything.

On the other end of the scale there’s Susanna Hoffs (formerly of The Bangles) who starred in “The Allnighter”, a wacky coming of age comedy from the mid-eighties. I remember paying to see this thing while stuck in Cheyenne, Wyoming and hoping that I might catch a glimpse of her naked. However, the movie was directed by her mother and Ms. Hoffs (the younger) remained fully clothed. Her performance was less than riveting.

Robbie Robertson was great in “Carny”.

I forgot about Sinatra. He’s close to the top of the list. Academy award for “From Here to Eternity”, and great roles in “The Manchurian Candidate”, “Von Ryan’s Express”, “The Detective”…

Mike King:

I saw John Bon Jovi in an episode of Sex In The City, the risque Sarah Jessica Parker vehicle on HBO.

In it, Sarah started visiting a shrink and she saw John Bon there and proceeded to date him. Sarah was visiting the shrink because her friends told her she always picked the wrong guys.

Anyway, she and John go back to her place and proceed to do the horizontal mambo. Post coital talk has her finally ask JBJ why he was seeing the shrink. His answer was classic:

“Women. After I have sex with them, I lose interest. Can I use your phone?”

I thought he was just fine, and I guess he looks much better with the short hair if you’re into guys and stuff…

Hello? What about Elvis! His movies were GREAT. :slight_smile:

Seriously, I think Mark Wahlberg is a good actor, and he also floats my boat. I think Cher is a good actress, too, though I’m not a great fan of her music.

Second (Third, forth, whatever) on Sinatra, Cher and Wahlberg.

I’d also add David Bowie to the list.

‘They couldn’t hit an Elephant from this dist…!’

Last words of General John Sedgwick

I’ll second Randy Travis. He was decent in Black Dog.

I think David Bowie is a wonderful actor, but have you seen the shitty movies he’s been in? I think “Twin Peaks: Walk Fire With Me” (which I have on tape shame) was mentioned in the bad movies thread.
On a related note, I was watching VH1 and they were doing a story on Prince and talking about how most rock stars try to be actors. They read a long list, which included Mick Jagger’s name. Are they serious? What was Mick Jagger in?