“My aim was to shove it right up that black arsehole.” Guess who? (Golf)

Sure. He made it racial by bringing Tiger’s race into it. It was completely superfluous. “Shove it up his ass” is a perfectly good insult. “Shove it up his black ass” is racially charged, unless Tiger has another ass of a different color that he was ruling out.

I don’t know why people go to such great lengths to explain away obvious racist statements. You don’t have to lynch someone or put a sign on your businesses door saying “No niggers allowed” in order to be racist. I am certain that Steve Williams isn’t a closeted KKK member. That doesn’t mean that his statement wasn’t racially charged.

We went through this with the Tea Party crowd and Obama. “It’s just a picture of Obama with a bone through his nose. There’s nothing racist about it.”

Actual quote from an email from Los Alamitos Mayor Dean Grose after sending out an email showing the White House surrounded by watermelons and the caption “No Easter Eggs This Year”

Yeah, right.

Have you never heard of someone using a superfluous modifier like “fat-ass” to an obese person or “dumb-ass” to a stupid person.

Yes, it was racially insensitive, but IMO, not racist.

Yes, and adding those modifiers makes them pejoratives, just like adding “black” makes his race a pejorative.

It’s a racist statement.

He was a bully with Tiger and this shouldn’t be a surprise.

It’s a racial statement, but pretty tame as far as that goes. It annoys me when stuff like this gets as much press as it does. Personally I think it does more harm than good. Ignoring guys like this is the best policy if you ask me.

IMO everybody’s right. It was a racist statement, but Steve isn’t a racist. Just like smart people can say stupid things, non-racists can say racist things.

And kudos to Tiger for sticking up for him. That’s the second time in two years that Tiger has defended people who attacked him, the first being the lie he told about Elin not hitting him with the golf club. And then he gave her $100 million bucks.