“My aim was to shove it right up that black arsehole.” Guess who? (Golf)

Sounds like Stevie Williams got a little overserved at a Chinese tournament dinner and spit out this bit of genius. He now caddies for Adam Scott, who in two weeks will be playing in the President’s Cup, against Tiger Woods. Should be fun, if he’s still Scott’s caddie by then.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/04/tigers-former-caddy-stuns-crowd-with-barb/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Man, I had no idea Steve Williams was such a dick except for all those other times he acted like a total dick.

Yeah, I hope Tiger cuts his dick off.

When I hear “Steve Williams” I think of this guy, or possibly this guy, whose real name is also Steve Williams.

Stevie has lost all sympathy. Tiger made him rich and he has shown himself to be a racist prick.

This is Steve Williams, This is what is does. He is offensive, he is obnoxious.

That said, this does not register too high on my “racism” scale. He did not use the “N” word, he did not use any other word any other description other than “Black”.

if he was a racist, I don’t think he would have gone to work for Tiger Woods, and answer to him. Tiger Woods apparently never saw it, as he was in employ for over 12 yrs.

I am convinced that Steve Williams just didn’t turn racist in the last few months. If indeed he is racist, he has been racist for a good long time.

IMO: The remarks are offensive, obnoxious, hateful, and inappropriate. But on the racist scale of 0-10, they barely touch 1 to me.

Maybe my skin is little thicker than others, but I do not go out of my way to be offended by such remarks. if someone calls me a “fat-ass”, I don’t think they have an anti-fat bias.

What’s his gripe with Tiger, anyway?

Eh? Have you been on Mars or summit?

Williams is a twatcock of the first order.

Don’t follow golf at all, just saw this story. Are you saying that Williams has no particular gripe at all? I guess I was assuming they had some particular falling out rather than that Williams was just an equal opportunity sprayer of invective.

At this point, it’s almost irrelevant whether Williams is a genuine racist or just an angry, bitter guy who resents his ex-boss.

Either way, why the hell would ANY golfer hire this guy ever again?

A caddy’s job is pretty simple: carry the clubs, offer guidance when it’s asked for, and do everything as quietly and unobtrusively as possible. I mean, quick- how many famous caddies can you name? Get the idea? Just as with baseball umpires, if you know a caddy’s name, something is probably wrong.

Williams may ALWAYS have been a jerk, but as long as he was just doing his job and not making a spectacle of himself, that could be overlooked. But now? If I were a leading golfer, I’d NEVER hire Steve Williams. I’d figure, “There are HUNDREDS of guys who can do what he does about as well as he does. Why would I want to deal with all the OTHER crap he brings to the table?”

This is an over simplification.

I remember years ago reading a quote from Arnold Palmer’s caddy. He said, “Arnie and I have a 50/50 partnership. I take the club out of the bag and he plays the shot.”

Pretty funny.

No doubt I DID oversimplify. I’m told that a GOOD caddy is almost like a Hollywood star’s personal assistant. Jack Nicklaus’ caddies (whoever they were… see right there? I never knew ANY of their names!) may have made all his travel arrangements, set up his engagements, done a whole lot of things besides carrying the clubs.

The fact remains, if you’re, say, George Clooney’s personal assistant, your job is to take care of things while staying in the background. Nobody should know who you are. If George suddenly gets the urge to throw a party, you see to the catering and the invitations. If George gets an urge to travel to Antarctica, you make all the arrangements.

And if George ever lets you go, you DON’T trash him publicly (even if he truly DESERVES it), if you ever hope to get a similar job with anybody else ever again.

Heck, I’m a relative NOBODY, and even I know better than to publicly insult any of my former bosses.

IMO, Professional Caddies are well worth the money, or else Pro players would be higher local kids at $75-$100/day to do their work.

these days, the top caddies make a good chunk of change, well into six figures. The players pay their salaries and some of the expenses.

A good and knowledgeable caddie would have prevented Dustin Johnson from grounding his club in that bunker at the PGA Championship 15 months ago. Would have got DJ to the tee on-time at the LA Open.

They prevent rules infractions all the time and can offer options that the players do not see.

There is simply no way that a player would pay a salary of $1000-$2000 week plus 10% of prize money when they can get a “Carl Spackler” for $75-$100/day.

And Angelo Argea was Jack Nicklaus’s caddie for most of his non-major wins (44 PGAT wins total). For most of Nicklaus career, local caddies were required at the Masters, US Open, and PGA. (not sure about the British Open).

I’m not sure I see this as racism, per se. I don’t think it made any difference to Williams what color Tiger’s arsehole is.

On the other hand, Williams totally buried himself with his apology. “It was a private event and I thought this would stay within the event.” Yeah, because the bad part wasn’t that you said something stupid, it was that people found out.

As one of the other caddies present said:

In TW’s press conference at the Australian Open, he said that Steve Williams was not a racist. they stood up for each other at each others wedding. Tiger knows Steve Williams probably better than anyone connected in golf.

The comment was racially insensitive. And offensive. But I don’t think it was meant to be racist.

Williams is bitter about the way he was fired. and he is holding a grudge. That is about it

He was being polite to his boss by being at Tigers wedding and inviting him to his was a smart business move. His real character has been revealed and it is not pretty.

C’mon, do you really think that Tiger Woods would have Williams in his employ for over 12 years if Steve Williams was a Racist?

What about the Tiger/Steve hug after TW won the 2006 British Open (right after Earl Died) .

Steve Williams is a thug
Steve Williams is offensive
Steve Williams is obnoxious
Steve Williams is an entitled brat

That is who he is, but he is not a racist.

IMO, the comment was racially insensitive, and inappropriate. If he meant it to be racial, there are much more inflammatory words and terms that could have been used. he chose “Black” and not the “N” word or any other KKK type words.

I am sickened to see people try to turn this into a racial controversy. If Tiger doesn’t think Williams is a racist (and he knows him better than anyone) why shouldn’t we believe him?

Tiger should punch Williams in his lily white face.

Can anyone explain to me how what Williams said could be in ANY WAY considered racially charged?

(No one needs explain how it made Williams look like a bitter asshole, that part is crystal clear)