My alcohol seizures (longish)

In the “do blood pressure pills work?” thread I alluded to my alcohol-seizures.

I’ve had friends with epilepsy where something like Ritalin kept it at bay. I never saw them have a seizure.

My cousin Billy had really strong/bad epilepsy. In his company, it would usually be Grand-mal’s and ambulances. One day he was working in a supermarket, had a grand-mal and nobody knew WTF was going on and he died at the age of 29.

When I lived in St. Petersburg with my wife, I drank a lot and one night I held off having an Oxota beer (8%!) till I was done with a remote project. Never even opened it - next waking moment I’m on the floor and my wife, parents and paramedic are there. I’ve also had had the kind of seizures where you know it’s coming and can lay flat on a mattress. This is the first one to knock me out.

Russia, USA, didn’t matter. I used to drink a lot. Over a liter of cheap vodka would be normal. I’d stop for work - and on my first day at a Wal-mart watching hours of intro videos I zonked out. Discovered by an assistant Manager. There was a hospital across the street - I recall being wheeled out on a gurney. The doctor asked about family history was “mmm hmm” about my cousin. I didn’t want to check in so I just put my shoes on and “snuck out” and crossed the street and clocked out of Wal-mart. Other workers were stunned and I gained some kind of respect. The matter did come up a day or so later when I spoked to another manager, yet it was clearly (to me) about any possible litigation.

So I stopped drinking (or cut down a lot) and all was swell… till I started drinking again.

I fell of my bicycle with a handle (1.75 ml) of Vodka in hand, another ride to another hospital, got stitches. Some Librium/benzo. And a prescription for Librium which my evil step-sister snatched away.

Next morning, my hands are quivering and I tell my mom, “I need to drink something or get that prescription”. Nope, evil step-sister had a better plan, call her niece the paramedic which of course brought the Police and I got a ride on a gurney in their ambulance to the same hospital as the night before. Not into the Emergency Room. I was dropped off in a waiting room chair. For apparently hours - I cannot remember. One thing I was told is I was trying to snatch peoples cellphones. Next thing I remember was deliriously wandering around outside my room; recognising literally everyone. And then the next thing is I’m in the hospital bed with what I guess is the equivalent of a straight-jacket. I certainly couldn’t get up.

I’ve had the flashing light brain scans (they found nothing - ha ha). This is likely as I had stellar medical insurance. I’ve not lived in the USA for nine years yet at least back then it was either stellar insurance, Medicare or the sidewalk.

Totally cured, I left the USA for Ireland. I’d only have a beer or a cider, or beers and ciders. Second day on a new job I’m on the train and my legs are trembling. It’s pouring rain and I cross the bridge and am running down to my house - only to regain consciousness in an ambulance. “Do you know your name / where you are” kinds of questions. I reckon they figured out I was from the USA as if they asked me who the president was, I’d have said “Obama”. I must have smashed the back of my head real good as I left with brass staples around a haircut. Showed up at work next day - on the prescribed dose of Librium. I would like to - if I could - thank whomever called the ambulance.

Relocation to the UK. A little drink here, there, at work. I was called on it by the CEO. I will stop and somehow I did with no medical intervention. Till I started again. Wham, talking on the phone to my wife and the CEO and paramedics were asking coherency-level questions. A few months later after starting again I went the local hospital asking for the usual regimen of Librium (I believe 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 pills per day). Nope. Cannot/Will Not do. They gave me a pamphlet for some therapy group and a gurney for an hour to see if I’d have a seizure right there and then. No? So go home, and on the way I bought cider.

I have since found a source for Diazepam. I also know it is a tough drug to kick. I’d like to say I’ve totally quit drinking (perhaps the most dangerous drug to kick) yet at least I have not seen the inside of an ambulance in seven years.

Holy cow! That is quite the life.

You must NEVER drink again.

Are you under a doctor’s continuing care?

I wish the best for you. Take care.

Yeah, the DTs can kill you. That’s one scary story you wrote. Good luck staying dry.