My baby is driving...

I’m looking for sympathy, encouragement, reassurance, pity, cash, parting gifts, spare change - whatever I can get. My child has turned 15. She’s learning to drive. She’s in high school. She’ll be dating high school boys.

Wasn’t she just learning to ride a two-wheeler last week? Didn’t we just sign her up for beginning ballet? When did she get taller than I am? When did she grow that womanly body?

Seems as good a time as any to devour a box of Godivas all by myself. I’ll be sitting over in the corner, sobbing softly.

Thanks for listening…

3 short years and she’ll be old enough for me to date her… hehehe evil grin

I’ll tell you the same thing I told my mom as I was reaching the age of adulthood.

Yes, Mother, I’m growing up. Soon, I’ll move out to live my own life, without your guidance. But you will always be my mother, and I’ll always love you.

It’s okay, Fairy. She still needs you in her life, and she still needs your help and advice. She’ll always be your little girl, no matter how old either of you get. :slight_smile: I’m 19 and I still go crying to my mother with a broken heart, I still ask her for her thoughts and suggestions on my career choices, boys, clothes, etc. And I still borrow money from her. :smiley:

Oh FairyChatMom, I am right there with you, darlin’. My precious one and only is 16, got her license this summer, and is narrowing down the list of colleges she wants to apply to next year. It is utterly impossible that she is this old! She is still my baby. My god, when folks tell you to enjoy your kids because they grow so quickly, they aren’t kidding, are they?

I hope you’re gonna share those Godivas, but I’m not sure I can get them past the lump in my throat.

Aah. . .
I enjoy being 16. All of us aren’t as bad as the media and some of the other teens make us out to be. I don’t drink, smoke, speed in my car, have sex, etc. ad nauseum. behind or in front of my parents’ backs although I probably easily could.
Just make sure you always remember that she loves you, because we really do love our parents, and we always will.

I got my permit last month, but I’m grounded from driving cause my mom says I’m dangerous. I’d like to see her make a left out of Blockbuster…

I thought you meant your BABY.

My baby drove for the first time in March… he is almost 5 years old now.

Buy her the oldest, most massive Chrysler or Buick you can find. It will protect her in an accident, and use so much gas that she can’t afford to drive it.

If I wasn’t so despondent, I’d smack you one!!

THAT’S gonna call for another case of Godivas…

Well, you better move fast - I tend to snarf down the comfort food…

Now THERE’S a suggestion I can use…

Driving at 15? Wow. We aren’t allowed to drive in Pennsylvania until we’re 16, plus we have that 50-hours of driving rule and the six month waiting period rule…I really haven’t bothered with driving yet, even though I’ll be 18 in two weeks. Lack of motivation, I guess. Besides, I prefer the backseat to the front seats. wink wink nudge nudge

Oops, maybe I shouldn’t have said that last line… imagines mothers everywhere rushing to buy more boxes of chocolates

::sobbing::

I KNOW how you feel…don’t let these ‘jokesters’ get to you…I UNDERSTAND the emotional trauma and devastation of which you speak…

my 4 yr. old is riding a gasp 2-wheeler…

::sobbing harder::

only yesterday it was a tricycle…

my god…how do you deal with all this???

his going into preschool might just KILL me…

[serious aside]
I know, I know…we have children and we all understand that they grow up, and while we experience pride and much, much joy from said growth, why is there such a ‘physical’ pain to all this…it hurts…I look at my little boy, and suddenly develop a ‘pang’…because he really is a ‘little boy’ now…I packed away some of his clothing that he had outgrown, and burst into tears…the baby is gone…
[/serious aside]

oh, dammit, move over…I brought tissues, home movies and a case of Godivas…I’m prepared to share…

Is this any harder with a single kid rather than a brood? Or perhaps if you birth the child later than earlier (I was 31 when mine was born) I’m the oldest of 5 and I don’t recall my mother sobbing when I left home, tho I don’t recall cartwheels either… I’m really not a clinging mom, and I’m looking forward to the days when my husband and I can pursue our lives without checking the kid’s schedule. Still, for all the times I’ve told her she’s on her own after college, for all the plans we have for that empty nest, well, I guess I’m not ready for her to be so adult already.
Someone pass me the ice cream, please…

My older daughter is almost 11. I suddenly noticed just the other day how absolutely gorgeous she’s becoming and got that cold shaft of fear through my heart. Middle school? Driving?? Dating??? Not YET! I’m not ready, and I know how quickly it’s coming - wasn’t I just giving birth to her yesterday?

I’ve got some Girl Scout Cookie ice cream - Thin Mint - that I can contribute to the pity party. And I also have a baseball bat we can use to break Whammo’s knees if he keeps it up.

Come sit in the comfy recliner next to mine. You’re my new bestest friend. :slight_smile:

Now if anyone’s gonna be busting Whammo’s kneecaps it’s gonna be me! You mom’s can have next :slight_smile:

Now, now - take your kneecap breaking into another thread - this is a civilized pity party… at least until someone else leers at my child.
BTW, I think I should be relieved that she’d rather drive her dad’s sedan than my minivan, right??