My brother had a brain aneurysm and stroke and is in ICU

He’s awake and aware, in critical but stable condition.

My father died of a stroke, in the crawlspace of my parents’ house. This brother is the one who crawled in and dragged his body out. He seemed dazed for hours after that. I will always remember the look on his face.

This is my oldest brother, who taught me how to read by sitting me on his lap at the dining room table and reading book after book to me while running his finger under the words.

He’s the oldest of six. He takes that seriously. He would do anything for you.

He’s an engineer. He loves to build things and to tinker and to invent. He loves to spout right-wing bullshit. He’s frustrating and funny, obnoxious and terribly kind.

Married for 29 years to a very nice woman. They have two kids.

I’m going to lose him someday, and I am not ready and never will be ready.

Sorry, I just had to share.

I am so sorry to hear your news, I hope everything goes well for him .

Sending good thoughts his way, and your way .

How horrible. Sending good thoughts for a quick and full recovery.

Bright blessings to you and your’s jsgoddess. In the darkness, may you find light.

I’m so sorry to hear this.

I’m sending healing thoughts your way. I hope his recovery is swift and long lasting.

Sending you my hopes for a good recovery. Sending you my hugs because. {{jsgoddess}}

Such horrible news. Thinking good thoughts for him and you, and hoping for good news.

“Awake and aware” sounds somewhat positive. Hoping he recovers and I’ll be thinking of your family.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Wishing your family the best.

ETA: and please keep us posted.

I’m so sorry. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Heartbreaking :frowning: Peace be with you.

I’ll add my good wishes to the rest. I hope he has a quick recovery and that you won’t have to face this again for a long, long time.

The stable part sounds a bit promising, at least. Hopefully he rebounds quickly. Sending good thoughts.

Good luck to you. An aneurysm is what got my father. The doctor was careful to explain to us though that an aneurysm is the opposite of a stroke. Said aneurysms have no known links, not age, not smoking, blood pressure, nuttin’, just one of those things that can happen to anyone anytime. Seems an aneurysm is like a tire blowout, while a stroke is caused by the blood flow becoming restricted. This is all what the doctor told us. Be sure to consult closely with your brother’s doctor to find out exactly what to do post-care.

jsgoddess - I am very sorry to hear this terrible news. Your love for your brother glows brightly in your post and I know how difficult this must be for you. My nephew had a similar event in his thirties. Things looked very bleak at first, with severe paralysis and impaired mental function. Progress was very slow, but he was determined to overcome his situation and worked very hard at it, doing hours of physical therapy everyday. Eventually (months to years later) he surprised all of us by learning to walk again. He can get anywhere now, a little slower than others, using only a cane.

The prognosis for brain injury is hard for your brother’s doctors to estimate at this early stage, which makes dealing with his injury even more difficult; but there is plenty to hope for with the support of you and others who love him.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery and, if not that, for a return of your brother to his normal self, with only some physical limitations.

I’m very sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

I’m sending thoughts and prayers for healing and recovery your way.

I’m sorry to read this. Best wishes for a good recovery. It may take weeks or months, but don’t lose hope. Good luck.

I’m sorry, jsgoddess, and hope your brother makes a full recovery in good time. He sounds like someone I’d love to meet.