My cat has diarrhea...

Can we please keep the requests for pet advice off of General Questions, people?

There’s a whole sloo of pet-specific websites. For example http://www.petopia.com/

and feel free to peruse
http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/Biology/Zoology/Animals__Insects__and_Pets/Pets/

If you want to know why manxes have no tails or the etymology of dachshund, GQ is the place to be.

But if you are deeply concerned about your arthritic cat, depressed dog or retarded gerbil, post somewhere else. OK?

Thanks a bunch.

“The world ends when I die. And as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the universe might as well call it a day too.” – Matt Groening

Sorry alphagene but…NO.

Neither you nor satan (Mr. Since when are sdmbers qualified threapists?) nor Contestant #3 (Mr. The sdmb as a dating service) or anyone else I may have neglected to mention can dictate the types of topics people post. I havnt even read the pet threads…cause they dont interest me! The ONLY people who HAVE to read all the threads are the moderators, and unless I missed a page in this book…you aint!

So if you dont wanna look at pet stuff…dont. Nobody is gonna make you!

Personally I think the pet threads are less interesting than the pissing threads.

Fine, I’ll rephrase it in a more kelli-friendly manner.

“I dislike it when people post about their turtle with a spastic colon on GQ. I feel they would be better served on another board. They are of course free to post wherever they like of course, and I am free to mock them in the pit, and kelli is free to take my mocking waaaaay too seriously.”

Nah… The OP is funnier. Sorry.

“The world ends when I die. And as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the universe might as well call it a day too.” – Matt Groening

And of course alphagene is free to completely miss the sarcasm about the pissing threads.

Somebody started a thread about pissing? :o

And just who appointed you List Police, Alphagene? Are we supposed to check with you first to make sure the question we post meets with your approval? Maybe they should start a new forum called ‘Alphagene’s Approved Topics’?

Apparently there are a lot more people interested in pet questions than ‘Hypothetical Extradition Questions’.

If you don’t like the damn topics, don’t read them. Do you watch TV programs you hate just because the TV is on?

I enjoy the pet questions - I’m not nearly as educated or intelligent as many of the posters here, but I do know a LOT about cats. Questions about cats give me an opportunity to contribute something valuable to the board, and maybe save a pet owner and pet some unnecessary grief.

If you want to be Big Boss and Head God of a message board, go start one of your own.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

ROFLMMFAO

“ChrisCTP-…the sweetheart of the SDMB…” --Diane
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

And where else can I post my PolyEthylene Terephthalate jokes?

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Yo, Alphie, I’m with you all the way. I think that people who post specific questions about their pet don’t really want a straight forward answer - they just want to talk about their pets. If they did want a thorough, rational answer they would consult one of the web pages you listed above.

Especially since once a topic like that has been posted it always turns into one of these: “well MY cat had a gall bladder infection once and we gave him some medicine that came in a blue box. He was cured in two weeks. You should talk to your vet”

Well, if ya woulda cared in the first place, ya woulda called the vet first.

I would SUGGEST that people not post those in General Questions as well, because I usually go to GQ to avoid personal sagas. It’s more of a MPSIMS type post IN MY OPINION.

Trust me, I wish I would have known details in threads before I read the damn things but it’s true, Alphie, you’re not God yet, you can’t dictate what some people will post. Damn.

When did I express my desire to be God? Did I slap on a badge? Did I say I need to approve of the topic? Look, if I thought it was a truly serious issue I’d email a Mod or put up a humorless post in About this MB.

And I generally do avoid posts I don’t like. But every now and then I’ll rip them a new one in the Pit, especially if I see a trend.

Christ on rollerskates, kids. If your ferret’s coughing up blood or your parrot has polyps, get thee to a vet.

Fine, I’ll back down from my keep-it-off-GQ stance. Post it on GQ. Feel free. Tell me about your Aunt Matilda’s emphyzema too. I’m fascinated.

If I think it’s really weird and I can bitch about it in an entertaining way (and come on, the phrase “retarded gerbil” is a hoot), I’ll rant in the pit about it.

Oooh zing! A bust on a thread I started. Let me bust on one you started. Hmm… Can’t seem to find one…

quote:

“I’m not nearly as educated or intelligent as many of the posters here, but I do know a LOT about cats.”

Talk about two ways of saying the same thing.

Sorry Ben, it was just too tempting a set up to pass by.

UncleBeer wrote:

Terephthalate?!!

Quick-N-Dirty Aviation: Trading altitude for airspeed since 1992.

Nothing to add; I was just tired of the C#3 threads being at the top of the pit. This one at least has a provocative name!

And apparently I have left an unanswered question dangling here. Thanks Poly, you have performed yet another great service to the SDMB community.

terephthalate - Terephthalic acid may be obtained as a by-product in the production of phthalic anhydride from petroleum. It has a long-chain alkyl group with an amide linkage on one end and a methyl ester on the other. It is used for producing polyethylene terephthalate and other polyesters.

My source is: Material Handbook - Thirteenth Edition, 1991.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

You reminded me of July, when I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the extrusion of polystyrene and what it can be used for. ;/

Please don’t ever explain that one to me, Poly. I’m having flashbacks to Satan’s anal probe already.

Dopeler effect:

One of my ex-husbands had an amide linkage on one end and a methyl ester on the other!

One of my ex-husbands had an amide linkage on one end and a methyl ester on the other.

Some people know a lot more when you tell them something than when you ask them something.

Consider this thread hijacked. It could be a record for deviation in trajectory. All this in only 19 posts!

Dopeler effect:

C’mon, Uncle Beer…the thread that was entitled “This Thread Is Headed for Cuba” has got to have the all-time record for maximum deviations in trajectory. Though it was designed to do that, so maybe that doesn’t count.