My dad has passed away

vivalostwages You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your post read a lot like what my own father went through before he died. He, too, had Alzheimer’s along with some similar physical problems. The last six weeks of his life were spent in a hospital. We were there when the doctor came in to tell us they had done everything possible and that it was up to us to decide how long to prolong the inevitable. It was a no-brainer because dad never wanted life support or other extreme measures to be taken. Still it was hard.

You’re right to take comfort in knowing that your father is no longer battling this horrible disease. Do remember to take care of yourselves and offer support to your mom as she adjusts. If you need to talk more, you have a whole bunch of people here who will let you say whatever you need to say. I’m sure you have a lot of wonderful memories of your father. Those memories will help a lot. Take time as a family to talk about those memories and laugh and cry while doing so.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you and your family find peace, comfort and strength in each other.

So sorry about your dad. Sounds like he had a rough go of it and I’m sure he’s in a very good and peaceful place now. (((hugs)))

Sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences.

I am sorry to hear your news. Sending supporting thoughts your way.

I understand your feelings vivalostwages.I lost my dad last thursday. He had a stroke 10 years ago and I watched him deteriorate to the point that death was almost a blessing.
My heartfelt good wishes and sympathies to you and your family.

Hi, everyone, and thank you very much for your words. I know that a lot of you have been through this. ALZ is a real mess.

sandra_nz, Dad was briefly in the Navy during WW2 before he had a medical discharge. He went to the Univ. of Virginia, married mom (met her in high school), and became a teacher; moved out here to CA and taught for over 30 years. He was also a truant officer.
He liked to joke around, make faces at the camera if being photographed, and was a bit of a homebody; loved John Wayne movies and taking walks; could be very stubborn at times. He had two kids and two granddaughters and was married to mom for nearly 56 years. He was completely loyal to her all that time and loved her cooking and her company.
Those are the main things coming to mind right now.

I hope as much can be said of me. :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences.

Sometimes there are no perfect words.

Only thoughtful silences that speak gently of caring.

I am very sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your family.

(Be sure to stand real close to them and hold their hands, they need that.)

Shirley Ujest said it best for me. Sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a good man, husband and father (and grandfather).

Sorry to hear of your loss as well, Craneop.

He sounds like the kind of man you’d be proud to call Dad. :slight_smile:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

And mine to yours. I know exactly what you mean. The deterioration is a hard thing to watch.

((vlw & Craneop2 & families))
I’m so sorry for your pain and frustration and loss, and hope you’re all taking care of each other. I wish I could email you a casserole. Get some well-deserved rest.
Tamara

My prayers are with you.

So sorry to hear of your loss, viva; yours as well, Craneop2.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.

GT

It’s never easy, viva, but it sounds like your pa had a full life, and he was a good dad to you. You are blessed to have shared his life.

Got hug?

viva, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will pray for the continued health of you and the rest of your family. Now, listen to what everyone else has said and get some rest!!!

So sorry for your loss Vivalostwages; your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like your father was one of the good guys - and you have many great memories of him. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}