My father died last night.

He finally lost his battle with cancer. Mom and I were by his side, and he went peacefully. As he put it: “I’m 87. I have to die of something!” Mom is in the process of moving into a retirement village, so she has her support group around her. deesiresjohn and I are 15 minutes away, so she will be fine.

My father was a teacher for over 50 years, both formally and informally. The lives he touched are countless and scattered across the planet. We have run into his students everywhere, from Kansas to Alaska. They all remember him. He was an irascible old coot in his later years, but sharp to the last. I can think of no better monument to his memory than the knowledge and love of learning he shared with his students, and me. We’ll miss you, Dad.

Adrian Clarence Eichman 1919-2006

silenus–You have my condolences. Best wishes to you and your family.

Very sorry. I’m glad you were able to spend the last moments of his life with him.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I’m very sorry. My condolences to you and your family.

Sounds like he had a long and fruitful life. Also sounds like he would be proud of you, silenus. May his memory live strong with you.

My sympathies.

silenus I’m so sorry for your loss. Your family and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like he died a peaceful death surrounded by people who love him. That was a wonderful tribute you wrote.

I was moved by your short tribute to your father. I am sure you will miss him. I’m sorry for your loss.

I am very very sorry.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a gentle death, and a very good life. Know that his love of teaching lives on in you and continues to change the world for the better. My best wishes to you and your whole family.

Sounds like he was a wonderful man - and how exciting that he was able to touch so many in his lifetime! I wish you and your family strength and peace.

I’m sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like he was a wonderful man.

GT

Without even knowing your father, I like him for that line. Sorry for your loss.

I’m very very sorry for your loss - he sounds like a wonderful man. May you and your family know some comfort and peace.

I have no idea what to say in these situations.

But, I’m very sorry :frowning:

So sorry for your loss.

What a lovely tribute. You and your family are in my prayers.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

It sounds like your father did a wonderful job of making himself immortal.

Oh, sil. I’m so very sorry for your loss. I know your family means everything to you. Hang on to each other.

What a wonderful post about your father. My very best wishes go out to you and your family.