My fellow Red Sox fans: That's it. We're fucked.

The Sox have certainly looked good the last few weeks, against weak opponents though (Detroit, Toronto, Chicago). Also, Francona must have gotten some letters threatening assassination if he ever does something as idiotic as playing Mientkewicz at second again. Sveum is still getting guys thrown out at home as much as ever, but the team is surviving it.

We won’t know until the Anaheim-Oakland-Texas stretch is over if the remodeled Sox are better than I thought during the slough of despair in which I wrote the OP, and the Yankees’ entire rotation cannot forever continue this spell of historic suckitude, either.

(Possibly) interesting story: My husband’s birthday was Saturday 8/28, and for his birthday I sat on hold for 6 hours back in February so I could get him Sox tickets. We went to the Thursday 8/26 game against the Tigers. Great seats, too … but that is beside the point. I was holidng my breath while Arroyo pitched that game (which is not easy with a piehole full of fried dough). Made for some AWFULLY exciting baseball, let me tell you!

But Francona is still a fathead.

:eek:
You people have a lot to learn about tempting fate.

In the two weeks that no one had posted to this thread, the Sox have been torrid. I even gave the OP full credit over here .

Hopefully, this threads resurrection doesn’t foreshadow doom.

Don’t get your hopes up, Sawx fans. You’re about to lose the next two to the mighty Angels.

After that, feel free to re-commence winning at your leisure.

Aw, Casey, I’m touched :sniff: - actually, I’d like to see the team managed by the regulars on the WEEI Whiner Line, the radio highlight of my drive home from work, even after the lamented death of Butch from the Cape. Amazing how they’ve gone from asking “When is the manager going to be fired?” two weeks ago to “Who’s starting Game 3 in the playoffs?” yesterday. I love it.

That was the best August I can remember for a long time. That yelping sound you hear is George Steinbrenner kicking his dog. :wink:

While it is fun to see some anxiety in the Bronx, I think the Sox have about reached the apex of this run - or certainly will have by the time they hit the road against the West contenders. They are not going to win the division.

A telling comment was heard recently from one of the Sox players about their play picking up, when he said that this was what they lived for, the last six weeks of the season.

Trouble is, the Yankees play as though the entire season counts.

There’s no superstition in baseball!

What?

That’s no dog, that’s Brian Cashman he’s kicking.

22 - 0

OUCH!

That dog got kicked through the uprights only twice, the other was a 2 point play in this awesome shut-out…

This was a game between the Patriots and the Jets…right? :rolleyes:

No doubt a precursor to firing Torre and giving the dog a cap and a clipboard. :wink:

[Stumbles into thread, weeks late…]

Hey. Let me tell you something. The Red Sox take the pennant.

Oh. And Kerry loses. Ridiculous margin.

Since when did the Red Sox play better LATE in the season?

cough :smiley:

I’m very much enjoying that cough.

It’s an omen. The “curse” Dan Shaughnessy invented has been lifted.

One of Manny’s homers last night smashed the teeth of a current resident of Babe Ruth’s house.

Pfshaw. They were lucky. The Angels are going to destroy them tonight. 351,000 to zero.

1918! 1918! 1918! :smiley:

You guys had all better hope that St. Louis self-destructs on the way to the Show.

Because I’m happy to say they’re going to be nigh-impossible to beat this year. They look like destiny embodied.

Certainly well enough to beat out other teams for wild cards.

And a whole lot better than certain highly touted but underachieving last-place teams I could mention. :smiley:

Red Sox fans need not worry, the Oakland Athletics are going to the World Series.

How do I know this? Because I will be completely booked for the month of October and unable to go to any playoff games. So, for the first time in five years I won’t be in the stands as they disappoint me.

Since I can’t go to the games, they’ll spite me by going all the way. For the sports gods hate me.