My girls ruined your movie: sorry

From Facebook:

According to ABC News, the post was re-broadcast and shared by the thousands and thousands, and it did find its way to the woman from the theater:

Too public shaming? Or good parenting?

I’m going to go with “an attempt at good parenting”.

FTR, I have no objection to the method being used.

I go with good parenting. It’s not like this is going to follow them forever but it’s enough to keep them from ever doing it again.

A good shaming can be character building. It demonstrates consequences for actions.

Too public shaming.

Hard for me to say. If the mother didn’t intend for it to become national “news” then I lean more towards parenting. Maybe she didn’t really understand how stuff can go viral on social media or never thought it would apply to her post (hey, 99.9999% of stuff doesn’t even when its author dearly wishes it would).

If she did know/hope for the sort of response it got than I’d say shaming. There’s no benefit to anyone but the affected parties knowing about the incident.

I am guessing this incident was not out-of-character for the girls, and was probably the straw that broke Mom’s back. If this was a rare, isolated incident that occurred out of the parents’ presence, then I can see how it might be a tad excessive. But honestly–how likely is it that these two little angels used this one occasion to act out? Especially when they were confronted with their behavior mid-act and chose to do nothing about it. It’ll say a lot about their character, how they choose to view this punishment (with humility or resentment), but I’m guessing this was a last resort and not a first recourse.

My eyes roll at the whole thing:

A mom whose kids made it to teenagehood not being able to handle themselves in public is making a public scene of disciplining them. :rolleyes:

A woman who lays a mega-guilt trip on the girls for ruining the last bit of fun she and her daughter will get to have together. :rolleyes:

Any time someone does anything in front of the public eye, I assume they’re doing it mainly for attention and validation. Every person in this story behaved sub-optimally.

Is that how we should view your postings on the SDMB?

Breaking News - Teenage girls ship brother to Middle East - film at 11.

I think the mother did the right thing.

I’m deeply cynical this was on the up and up.

Given the incredible odds of having any post go viral, let alone ultimately reaching the intended target audience in this spectacular way. Plus given the super media friendly ‘human interest story’ aspect… - I’m saying this is a publicity stunt or social experiment of some kind.

Eh, maybe. Or maybe I should just go to the quarry and throw stuff down there.

The “guilt trip” woman at the theater didn’t do anything “in the public eye.”

Unless you think that just means ever addressing anyone in a public place.

This.

Absolutely. I should have been more clear. The public display by the first mom is what I was referring to there.

The second mom gets a slightly smaller eye roll for pulling a, “you were a jerk, and here are the unbeknownst-to-you details about my life that make your jerkishness even worse, I HOPE YOU’RE HAPPY!”

The impression I get from the OP was that the purpose of the public-ness was to contact the woman involved, not to shame the girls.

Gotcha.

I do think that the degree of jerkishness of the teenagers is not conditioned on the circumstances of the particular people disturbed. Still, I don’t see a real problem with either of the mothers’ actions.

I don’t agree with public shaming as a practice.

It might have worked better in an era before everything is recorded forever on the internet, and anonymous trolls. Now, someone they know IRL can find this, harass them anonymously online over it, stalk them, etc.

There are better disciplinary methods that teach your kid how to behave as an adult that don’t involve publicly shaming them.

Just think if such a method is used on a child with low self esteem and/or depression. You want to provoke your child’s suicide, you’re not a parent in my book.

This incident is minor, but public shaming of any kind is a weak parent’s crutch and it can make your kids resent you.

Wow! So many questions.

How old is the son? If he’s younger than this sisters, then why wasn’t the mother at the movie with her 13-year-old daughters, instead of just “dropping them off”? She’s not taking responsibility for having contributed to the problem.

If the son is older (and supposedly the one in charge), then why didn’t he say or do something when his sisters were misbehaving? Is he just a snitch?

Why did the mother believe the son’s story so much that she posted about it on Facebook?

What about the other people in the theater? If the girls were behaving so badly, why didn’t anyone else tell them to stop?

If the other mother was being bothered so much, why didn’t she do more to make things better? It seems that she thought she was helpless, but, after the fact, she decides to lay the guilt trip.

Anyway, it seems to me that the whole incident is similar to people who go on Springer-like shows or TV-judge shows to air their dirty laundry in public. This would have been better dealt with privately, regardless of the apparently heart-warming ending.