My grandmother just died

I second that, Khadaji. Gamehat–sorry about your loss.

I’m so sorry for your loss. :frowning:

Gamehat, condolences on your loss. Your grandmother was quite blessed to have such a wonderful daughter, and, by all you have said here, your mother is so blessed as well. I wish you best strength in supporting your Mom now, and hope her heart finda peace.

The coincidences are hitting me hard this week. First the rabbi’s class on honoring parents takes a detour into end-of-life issues and mourning, and now someone else’s grandmother died, too.

I was going to post a “Hey, my grandmother died” thread, and thought better of it. Ditto with “I don’t really feel upset- am I a horrible person?” Thank you, Gamehat, for posting this when I didn’t.

All my condolences.

Thanks all for the kind wishes.

I had posted originally that I didn’t feel “broken up” about the whole ordeal. Whelp, that changed. I started crying at work today, and I’m not much for openly showing emotion.

I went nearly 18 hours feeling mostly sad for my mother. Than late at work today, I remembered my Grandmother taking me out for dinner. Then I thought about how unfair it was that she was stricken with so many physical issues (the blindness, the dementia) and so much suffering (the husband).

It was very strange - about 4 PM, I just started weeping. I had to leave work early. I hadn’t told anyone at work, they were a bit shocked and concerned. My boss was very kind when I told him the situation, told me to take whatever time I needed next week to be with the family. Here I thought I was stoic; I just broke down.

I’m OK now. Grandma is in a better place. Her suffering is over. I can spend a couple of days next week visiting mom to comfort her. I’d like to take her out to dinner and we can reminisce.

I was unfair to my aunts in the OP. They loved my grandmother, too. They’ve both been dealt an unfair hand in life; I think they would have been here if they could. One is still in a really bad place; one is slowly piecing together a family. So I’m sorry, aunts. My vitriol came from suppressed grief. But that doesn’t excuse it. You’re both good people that suffer too from a hard childhood; I was lucky enough to avoid that, bless my mom and dad.

i’m so sorry. may her memory be eternal.