My new roommate can die and I wouldn't care

Pillow speakers aren’t always good enough- I spent two nights in the hospital last week and my 95 year old roommates pillow speaker was so loud, I had to watch my tablet with earphones. The only way I would hear my TV over hers was to turn mine up so loud I would have gotten a headache.

It sounds to me like you need the universal remote app and an IR blaster.

Be sure to use it only intermittently, so he doesn’t realize it’s you. Find a channel that is just fuzz, then switch it back and forth from the channel he’s trying to watch until he just gives up. He’ll just think he’s got a bad signal.

And, of course, it will never happen when the nurses or the IT folks are there to help him.
:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I wish hospitals would stop putting two people in one room, it’s stressful for most patients and family/visitors. If nothing else having your roommate and their guests hear all your medical issues should be a HIPAA concern.

I have to laugh. If this was the U.K. you would find yourself in a ward with no TV and about half the equipment you expect in your semi-private U.S. room. That’s serious first world privilege you are asking for.

Some years ago, my (now) late grandmother was admitted to the hospital for a few days. I watched with disbelief as she went from a congenial, quiet old lady to the terror of all those around her. Shouting, screaming, complaining about anybody who dared come near her. She even unleashed a few profanities - we all got a chuckle out of that.

Remember that hospital admission is extremely stressful for older people. They get depressed, sometimes severely disoriented, and might miss the familiar, comforting home environment they (rightfully) should spend their last days in. Add to that nurses and doctors not really being sensitive to their needs, a lack of companionship, and not a little suffering from whatever they are in the hospital for, and you have a gravely discomforting environment that can bring the inner beast out of the most gentle of the seniors.

That’s probably what’s happening to the grandpa you are sharing your room with. But I can understand why it bothers you so much. Good luck with your healing, and I do hope you send good vibes to the old dude making your life miserable.

All of the above is true, though, if memory serves, dropzone (and his Fox-loving roommate) is in some sort of a long-term care or skilled nursing facility, and has been for a while (hence the series of roommates he’s had).

Most or all of what @mandala describes is likely equally applicable to someone in such a facility, but it is technically a different sort of situation.

My father had a mild case of ICU psychosis when he was hospitalized a few years ago, and placed in the ICU because med/surg was full. Transferring him to a regular room cured it.

Whoever said @dropzone is in a LTCF is correct.