My nomination for "Dogshit of the Year" Award - grow-op fire culprit

Can you grow pot outside in most parts of Canada?

But after his grow-op went up in flames, he was no longer in possession of MJ. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

At least the neighborhood downwind would have been happy.

“I woke up incredibly hungry this morning.”

He’s running a illegal operation, he’s a criminal, and you expect him to give a damn about his neighbors? Now, I have heard Canadians are polite and hospitable, but wow, that is much more than I expected!

Actually, I would expect that you can’t grow MJ in Calgary outside this time of year. Seems to me part of the appeal of a grow-op is not just that it’s out of sight but allows for year round production in an area not conducive to agriculture during half the year.

Well, he’s still a candidate for “Dogshit of the Year.” :slight_smile:

If our Calgary neighbour’s back yard was any indication, one can certainly grow it outside in that city during the spring, summer, and fall.

Just to add to the issue of the spread of the fire, here’s what happened with the fire trucks (straight from the horses mouth) - the guys at the fire hall are responsible for ensuring the exit from the garage is clear to the road (nope, the city doesn’t provide this service to the fire halls). The guys went out and shoveled it all just before bed. We were having a snow storm of epic proportions that night, so when the tones went off, and they jumped in the trucks and opened the door, there was a SIX foot drift in front of half the door. The guys jumped out of the truck, grabbed shovels, and spent about 5 or 6 minutes digging themselves out.

Once they arrived into the neighborhood - which is not routinely cleared by the city - the trucks started getting stuck. At the curve of road onto the street of the fires, the first engine got stuck. As it was trying to power through, it slipped sideways and essentially blocked the road for the other engines behind it. So, the guys got out and started shoveling. I think they finally got there 15 - 17 minutes after the first tones went off.

That, plus the shitty building codes in the city which allow for non-fire resistant materials as well as super close construction of houses in these new neighborhoods, all led to this horrible fire. Thank goodness no one died (except for the animals). Personally, I think the city should be held partly responsible for this.

People don’t only smoke pot in the spring, summer and fall! Plus, you can’t grow too much or you’ll certainly be reported. These guys grow millions of dollars of pot in the basement.

Plus, being able to control the grow op climate produces primo weed.

That’s an interesting idea. The more I hear, the luckier the 11 people who didn’t die that night are sounding.

Oh, I’m aware of that. But the question upthread dealt with whether you could grow pot outdoors in Canada. Our Calgary neighbour, who did not–shall we say, commercially cultivate–certainly could. A Calgary winter is definitely not a growing season, but I’m sure he harvested enough for him–and quite possibly, a number of his friends–to get him through the winter.

Me, I just grew tomatoes and peppers in our yard. When it came to gardening, I guess I was boring. At least, compared to the neighbour.

I see! Yes, I have relatives that grow a couple of plants in the garden in the summer as well.

You have to buy the short growing season seeds. :slight_smile:

The most that your going to get is possession being legal, cultivation will be probably handled by the tobacco companies, who can pretty much put any grow op out of business when weed goes legit.

Declan

Looking at that I would think an ideal solution would be to equip one (or more) of the fire trucks with a plow. Then they could clear their own way to the fire.

Is home cultivation of tobacco generally illegal? I’m now wondering why you don’t home-grow versions, like home-brew beer.

I have no idea where this persistent story is coming from. Sure, the tobacco companies have some experience growing heavily regulated and expensive crops, but ordinary farming for food is a much larger industry and it’s not as if weed is hard to grow - there are massive amounts of farmers who could grow huge loads of the stuff.

ETA: see also the brewers and especially wine companies.

No, you can grow your own, if you like. The problem is that generally speaking, tobacco isn’t smokeable until it’s cured. Most folks don’t have the equipment to flue-cure tobacco for cigarettes, or the knowledge and patience to cure tobacco for pipes and cigars. Then, there’s the problem of cutting–lots of time and patience and skill to do a navy cut by hand, and a navy cut is necessary for cigarette tobacco.

Most tobacco is grown by independent farmers, who sell their crop to the tobacco companies. I used to work with a guy who grew up on a tobacco farm in Ontario. His brother still worked the family farm, and sold the tobacco to a tobacco company.

There’s something about growing pot (pot, for chri) that makes someone an inconsiderate asshole?

However, if it’s good enough for The Onion, it’s good enough for me: Who Needs a Good Cock-Punching?