My proposoal for improved society.

These sorts of Utopia always break down when one of the lovely blonde teenagers on the surface wanders down into the steam/furnace works where the undesirables toil in their isolation, raising uncomfortable questions about “Where did the Negroes all go?” and “Isn’t it funny that nobody who goes on ‘renewal’ on their thirtieth birthday ever seems to come back?”

Somebody’s been reading early Heinlein.

Ha, I just noticed this. Murderers? Rapists? Well, they can make the occasional exception. But no petty thieves, no sir!

You forgot the lowbrows. Can’t let the lowbrows in either.

Kibbutzes encouraged children and the “great clubs” are not productive (except as a way to do some Old Boy Networking that has to be taken out and applied in the real world). So the premise that this is a wonderful idea is based on a denial of the shining examples on which it is based.
Now, what are these little “homelands” going to produce? Where are you going to get sufficient workers to build an industrial base if you prohibit children and require every (childless) citizen to be subject to being blackballed by the rest of the crowd? I think we can safely eliminate a GDP from the calculations and we can eliminate having these little experiments continuing for so much as a half generation.

Basically, they are places where self-absorbed people who do not wish to actually contribute to society can hang out and feel superior as they wither away until they come to the larger government begging for sustenance.

I was flashing on Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash.

It’s too bad you are in Britain, because in the US, there is plenty of open land that a group could purchase and then set up whatever exclusionary rules that they like.

I have heard of feminists setting up all women communities in Arizona. I would guess that there are some white separtist communities too.

Vermont :slight_smile:

What’s the debate here?

This is a local shop, for local people. There’s nothing for you here.

Im in ur SARS not fucking like the proletariat.

One thing I’m not quite clear on; how will this improve society? (as advertised in the thread title). Is it because it would select that group of people who want to live in a bizarre pseudo-anarchist enclave, and keep them out of circulation by placing them in said enclave? That might actually work.

And these people are not allowed to breed, while everyone outside of this weird little enclave is still producing children. It sounds kind of like a eugenics program against the bizarre pseudo-anarchists.

No children allowed so it wouldn’t be racial? Racial what? Racial conflict?

The mind boggles. All I can think is that he hasn’t yet met anyone who is childless and yet strangely racist. Perhaps said people are anomalies and should be dealt with…

I changed a great deal when I became a parent, but becoming racist was not one of them. If anything, I am more understanding of other cultures and races, due to my children becoming friends with people who didn’t live in my neighborhood as a child–Asian, Indian, black, and <gasp> even English. (yeah, I know it’s not a race).
I could see your lil compounds immediately drawing lines over gender or sexual orientation lines. Humans like categories and fear differences.

Anyway, to spend anymore time with anyone who frequents the likes of Whites or similiar (pssst–membership used to be closed to small shop owners, and probably still is) would make my head ache. Frankly, it does now.

Yes, that’s more or less my question. Instead of putting criminals away from society, we put the best and brightest away from it. This improves it how?

Shouldn’t this be “My proposal for improved cafe society”? :wink:

It’s Genetic Freedom redux!

I, for one, think it’s a great idea. In fact, I would volunteer to help build a wall around the community. We don’t want the “wrong kind” winding up where they’re not wanted. And yes, society will be much improved.

Is Shop Owner’s OP an inane question or…wait, shit you’re right.

My idea to improve education is to just take students in the top 5% and separate them from the rest.

True, but that applies with equal force to all more successful political systems. They have to accommodate everybody. In most cases, it seems to work out all right.