My WTF? moment today.

Our doggie has been chewing her butt lately (not fleas) so I toddled off to the Produce Store (sort of a cross between farm/garden and animal supplies) to get some skin wash to alleviate her irritation.

Perusing the shelves, what else did I come across but DOGGIE NAIL POLISH.

I shit you not, nail polish for your beloved ‘friend’ (hurr hurr). And at $25 a small vial, it sure ain’t cheap to pimp your pooch nowadays.

*Doggie has already stopped her incessant chewing and licking, just two hours post application, so I’m happy with THAT product. Doesn’t mean she’s getting nail polish though.

Waitaminute- did you apply the skin wash or the nail polish to stop the butt chewing? I’m possibly confused because after visiting the ‘posting drunk’ thread, I decided to give it a try (again).

Also, when you apply doggie nail polish to your canine’s nails, how do you get them to sit still until it dries, so they don’t chip their new pedicure? Do you use the toe spreaders so the nails don’t touch each other - or the dog’s fur?? So many questions…

Skinwash. :slight_smile:

Haven’t gotten there in my thinking processes yet, I’m still pondering what sort of crazy fuck buys nail polish for their dog.

I’m guessing it’s specially formulated to dry very quickly?

My dog was attacking his butt and I brought him to vet to see if he had a skin infection . It was his anal glands , the vet treated him for it and my dog was fine . If can be painful to your dog so if dog start up again you should bring her to see the vet.

And water/chip-resistant. https://www.amazon.com/Top-Performance-Color-Paw-Polish/dp/B001MUNCRU

The price at the Produce Store is … high. But I never underestimate the price something stupid will sell for - or the price someone will set for it.

That’s the exact same stupid as was on the shelves. But it was AUD (like that makes MUCH of a difference).

:smiley:

Well, if anyone wants to try it at home, YouTube is your friend…

PUPPY PEDICURE! Clip File Polish Pups Nails - DIY Dog Grooming by Cooking For Dogs

You staple their feet to the floor while the nail polish is being applied and drying. Sure it’s painful, but there are sacrifices we must make for beauty.

By “we” of course I don’t mean “me”.

I just watched that. I really wish I hadn’t.

Agreed. Also the hysterically funny scooting the butt around on a carpet indicates impacted anal glands. Stop giggling and take pupper to the vet.

I admit to the Dope that I once bought some (human) nail polish and put it on my dog. The store had a display of Halloween themed polishes and I thought it might be cool to give her glow in the dark yellow nails. The stuff was crap and even two coats only made her look like she had liver disease (jaundice). Was lucky that I didn’t have reason to take her to the vet until long after it wore off.

Some time later I tried again with some of my blood red nail polish. That one worked but had the unfortunate effect of making it look like she’d recently disemboweled some poor victim. I think hot pink is really the best color for dogs.

Okay, twice. I tried it twice. :o

[quote=“JcWoman, post:11, topic:781270”]

… The store had a display of Halloween themed polishes and I thought it might be cool to give her glow in the dark yellow nails. The stuff was crap and even two coats only made her look like she had liver disease (jaundice). Was lucky that I didn’t have reason to take her to the vet until long after it wore off.

Some time later I tried again with some of my blood red nail polish. That one worked but had the unfortunate effect of making it look like she’d recently disemboweled some poor victim…/QUOTE]
You should have used your red nail polish for Halloween an taken the pooch out for trick or treat.

Years ago when I was a kid we had a toy poodle and the groomer would always tart the poor thing up with bows in his ears (which he hated, those would last about 10 minutes once we got home), cologne, and nail polish (which he didn’t mind at all). A dog like that, who gets groomed a lot, will generally stand still on the grooming table because they’re used to the process. She could trim the fur on his feet, clip the nails and paint them in just a few minutes. He’d hold each foot up for her.

Years ago, in another life, I had an ex-girlfriend that got a kick out of painting my dog’s nails. She did it as a goof, and I thought it was pretty funny and harmless, but it raised a lot of eyebrows.

Hah, I used to paint my old beagle’s nails all the time. I used fast-drying nail polish and she got loads of compliments. She was even on the news one time - just her paws - and my stepmom in a different city saw it and said “That’s Madison!”

One time I saw a male Doberman with hot pink toenails. His owner was like “Yeah. We have little girls at home.”

I had just put down my brand-new sisal rug when here comes my neighbor and her dog who immediately rubbed its butt across the rug. Not hysterically funny. :mad:

A dog scooting across the rug could also mean it has worms too .

I was visiting my sister one time and my nieces had painted their dog’s toenails. So I guess it’s a thing.

Yup. One of my grandmothers had a series of identical looking toy poodles that always came back from grooming with bows on the ears (they lasted a while) and painted nails/claws. This was in the 80s-90s. I don’t know about perfume–the dog always smelled very doggy for such a little thing, to me. Anyway, they were always trimmed in that goofy French powder puff style, which was not flattering…I don’t know the difference in poodle sub-types, but hers were the ratty looking kind. :stuck_out_tongue:

Shouldn’t it be called pawdicure?