myruralamerica.org

I still don’t get your objection . . . Are you suggesting they’re really an astroturf organization?

I’ll agree with you that far.
I don’t know, I guess I’ll go start “ProChoice.com” and “YesToGayMarriage.com”, appoint Republican officers, and and fill them with conservative agenda. :rolleyes:

That’s the first thing I thought when I looked at the site. It’s not from the team who designed Obamas brand or website, it was someone quickly trying to mimic the site. The color is wrong too, not too far off but not exactly the same. Further makes me think it’s done by a grassroots group, such as they are.

But then those sites would be disingenuous because Republicans are not ProChoice or think YesToGayMarriage.

“Rural” does not have a political ideology. It’s a location.

Yes, but their radio ad first set up two good-ol-boy type fellows, then proceded to skewer McCain, Bush, and a local VA Congressman. So they are trying to equate rural=anti-Republican, which simply isn’t true by and large.

Junior Johnson, of NASCAR fame and a resident of deeply rural NC, endorses Obama.

Does that matter? Maybe those two particular good ol’ boys dislike McCain, Bush and other Republicans. My brother-in-law grew up in a rather rural area and while he’s completely apolitical, he told me he would have voted for Obama if he was registered.

That’s an even better example.

Sounds to me like they’re just trying to undermine the rural=Republican meme.

I think what people are saying, and I agree with, is rural is not necessarily liberal or conservative so the site isn’t deceptive. Now if it said myconservativeruralamerica.com that’d be different.

Here’s the commercial: http://myruralamerica.blogspot.com/2008/11/our-latest-radio-ad.html

It certainly isn’t untrue. I live in Boston, Massachusetts. I believe it’s considered an overwhelmingly liberal place. But we have conservatives, I promise you. If one of them started a website called “myboston”, which were clearly identifiable at first glance as politically conservative, is that “underhanded”?

Honestly, I don’t see how this is a problem in any way. And even if there is some bizarre conflict somewhere in here, is it really a bad thing to have a stereotypical viewpoint challenged?

And?

McCain has recently used recordings of Hillary Clinton saying unfavorable things about Obama in his ads. Should that be off limits because she is clearly a liberal?

More to the point, is it just impossible in your worldview that someone with a southern accent and sounding like a good ol’ boy by definition conservative such that you’d never hear two of them speaking a bad word about McCain?

I still don’t get it. How is this at all disingenuous or deceptive? Because two good ol’ boys from rural America are liberal, and have set up a website where other good ol’ boys (or anyone, for that matter) from rural America who share their views can visit?

It seems to me that you’re just trying to say that because they’re using the word “rural” and sound like they’re fom the deep south, they’re trying to trick someone into… doing what, exactly? Visit their website?

I mean, I really don’t understand your angle. Can I not set up a pro-NAACP website because I’m white?

Should we be charging Rednecks for Obama with internets fraud, or something?

Except the myruralamerica.org people do advocate for rural issues. They are, admittedly, of the “give farmers more money” variety, but they’re still rural issues.

Don’t forget http://www.ruralvotes.com/thebackforty/index.php , which is a pretty great classically populist web site.