Mysterious black sarcophagus opened in Egypt, releasing hideous (possibly toxic) stench

It’s been a while since I’ve heard of anything being prised.

Together with that killer bee attack in the Southwest and the gathering of 361 golden retrievers in Scotland, I’d say apocalpytic forces are definitely on the march. :eek:

Was it from cold, dead hands?

I believe that goes either “when you pry it from my cold, dead hand” or “take if from”, etc.

I was, of course, talking about the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra. :wink:

Certainly.

I am damned disapointed. I was hoping this was some Evile Wizard Conan or King Kull had imprisoned a few thousand years ago.
One does wonder how these three guys received such an expensive funeral.

I was wondering why there were *three *bodies sharing a sarcophagus. I’m no Egyptologist, but I’m moderately certain that multiple burials in a single sarcophagus is rare, if not unheard of.

And in a case of woo overwhelming common sense, thousands of Egyptians are signing up to drink the liquid found in the box, which is presumably a mixture of raw sewage and dissolved mummy. Urk.

The hospitals will be full if the authorities allow this to happen.

ETA: I’m wondering if the petition was started as a joke by someone, who did not expect people to take it seriously.

I should think so. Christ!

I read that there wasn’t a name inscribed on the sarcophagus, which is unusual, and it was suggested that this meant that they perhaps weren’t important people.

With there being three people buried together, it perhaps suggests a hasty burial or the need to bury more people than there were prepared burial sarcophaguses readily available. Combined with the potential battle injuries, it might indicate that this burial happened during a period of war. Alternatively, the people could have been interred at different times.

Already mentioned upthread. My favorite part is the petition’s title: let people drink the red liquid from the dark sarcophagus.

Who puts unimportant people in a 30-ton stone sarcophagus? That’s a lot of work to make, and it would have been really hard to put the lid in place, too.

<snip>

Nuts, I missed that.

:D:D

I reckon it is a Dark Wizard imprisoned by Conan, and two warriors defending him that Conan slew.

It may have been pre-existing, it may even have been used previously with different occupants. It will be interesting to see if there are any grave items underneath the sludge.

I’m not a sarcophagologist, but, while massive, the sarcophagus looks quite plain from the outside. For comparison, check out the so-called “Alexander Sarcophagus” from the late 4th century BC, on display in Istanbul Archaeology Museum (and not actually thought to have held Alexander’s remains). Alexander himself is reported have had a gold, and later glass, sarcophagus. Its whereabouts is unknown, but it could be buried beneath Alexandria.

When you entomb a Dark Wizard, you don’t want it to look pretty, just a nice, heavy lid that no one can open.

Yes, pretty clearly started up for the LOLs as the “in the form of some sort of a carbonated energy drink” should give away (among other things.) Though the reporting does seem to indicate perhaps some folks took it seriously (though I think it’s mostly people just trolling and the Independent falling for a gag petition. I mean, just read the supporters notes.)

Not the Headpiece to the Staff of Ed?

Cryptococcus neuromyces. [From Wilbur Smith’s “The Sunbird”]

THIS is what you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt15eC3D6Ec

I enjoyed that book.