Mystery signs on utility poles in Cleveland

For the past two months or so, I’ve seen hundreds of strange signs pop up in many municipalities and counties the Cleveland area. Most of them are small, and they’re all nailed on utility poles; none are on lawns or private property. Most of the signs either say just “BLUE TEAM” or "TANKSKI - nothing else. There’s no political elections this time of year; it’s just been the usual school bond and tax levy elections.

Anyone have a clue about what these mystery signs are all about?

We’re not allowed to say.

Oops.

That sounds like the signs that that film crews put up so that everybody will be able to find their way to a location shoot.

They are often deliberately cryptic, both to keep rubberneckers away, and to prevent the inconvenience that might come of people taking “BACK TO THE FUTURE 9” signs as mementos.

Except for that bit about ‘hundreds of signs in many municipalities’, natch. :smack:

I was going to say what Larry Mudd did. They tend to use tons of signs too, because the people aren’t from around the area and need a marker at every possible point to avoid getting lost.

The thing about the signs, though, is that they’re everywhere, and there’s no directional arrows on them. How would someone know which way to go for a film shoot if there are four TANKSKI signs at an intersection, each on a different pole and facing each different direction of traffic

Maybe it’s a union election – the utility pole climbers’ union, perhaps? I’ve often noticed union election campaign signs displayed in public here in NYC.

Maye some LARPers are aout and about, marking their territory.

Hmm I haven’t seen any yet. But I’ll be looking now! Got any specific locations? I live in Euclid.

Do they have Chinese writing on the back, directing the UN invasion troops from the black helicopters to the secret arms depots?

There are some along St. Clair, and you’ll see them on roads that cross under I-90 and the CSX tracks.

Maybe it is some union election, but I’ve never seen political-like signs advertising candidates. If it is, though, it could explain wht they’re not being removed. Snipe signs (Herbalife, “We Buy Ugly Hosues”, etc) are rare around here, and when they doo go up they’re gone in a dat or two. If they’re signs for a union of some sort, unionized municipal blue collar workers might be reluctant to take them down.

There are some along St. Clair, and you’ll see them on roads that cross under I-90 and the CSX tracks.

Maybe it is some union election, but I’ve never seen political-like signs advertising candidates. If it is, though, it could explain wht they’re not being removed. Snipe signs (Herbalife, “We Buy Ugly Houses”, etc) are rare around here, and when they doo go up they’re gone in a dat or two. If they’re signs for a union of some sort, unionized municipal blue collar workers might be reluctant to take them down.

The “TANKSKI” sign shows the text in a vanishing perspective, on an eighteen-wheel truck. Teamsters?

I also suspected some sort of Union activity or connection…but that’s just a WAG…

I THINK those signs have been around for a really really long time (2 or 3 years?). I could be remembering ones I’ve seen closer to Cleveland but I’m almost positive that there’s one in my town (Macedonia) at Highland and Rt. 8 which is relatively far from Cleveland - about 20 miles.

I’ve only seen the TANSKI ones, though. I went to school with a kid named Tanski so I just figured it was a local political thing that never got taken down.

I’ve seen a bunch of them re-appearing in the last two weeks. Nearly all of them that I saw were in the Brunswick area, and were the “Blue Team” sign along with a paired-up “TANSKI” sign.

However, the other day I saw a similar sign on the east side of Cleveland that was for the “Green Team”, and this one had “Teamsters, vote for” at the top of the sign. It looked exactly like the other “Blue Team” signs I’ve seen around for months.

So, I suspect this confirms our union connection for these signs…

I had actually asked my mom this, and she said they were for a union election. I think the sign I saw had “Vote for”, but I don’t remember what color it was.