Signs of the times? (Or maybe not!)

One thing that Mrs. Thorfinnsson and I have noticed in our area in contrast to previous presidential elections is a surprising lack of campaign signs. This is true for down ticket candidates as well as the dynamic duo.

How is this in comparison to where you live (if you live in the u.s)?

I find it odd because we live in Colorado which is now a battleground state so one might expect to see more of them.

I see a lot of campaign signs around here – for the mayoral election in our city. None at all for the presidential race. Of course, that would be pointless: I live in a very Democratic area.

On the other hand, if you have any professional sports teams in your area you are likely awash with people wearing the logos on gameday despite the teram being in their area. :smiley:

(Just goofin’ on ya!)

We live in THE battleground state, and there aren’t many of them. Of course that could be due to theft. We’ve had to replace our Hillary yard sign twice.

Same as I reported in the bumper-sticker thread. Virtually no Clinton or Trump signs. Clinton has Hawaii sewn up solid, so I don’t think either side feels the need even to try. For local offices though, there are plenty of signs for candidates – mayor, state legislature etc.

I’m seeing a bunch for local issues, some for Clinton, and almost none for Trump. Given my location, the last isn’t too surprising, though.

I am, however, seeing plenty of Clinton bumper stickers. Not sure why they’re more popular than the yard signs.

I’m seeing a lot less in my area (Colorado 7th) than I did around the same time in 2012. The majority of the signs I saw in 2012 were for Joe Coors, Jr. with Ed Perlmutter in second. They were running against each other for a seat in the House of Representatives.

This year Perlmutter is running against George Athanasopoulos. I can’t recall seeing a sign for either this year and the challenger has a pretty noticeable name.

I think the only bumper sticker I’ve seen is for Bernie.

This is pretty purely Democrat country, but when Obama was running, there were O stickers on the back of every car, so it’s probably a reasonable conclusion that Hillary isn’t so greatly loved among the D’s.

I’ve seen a few but in this day and age some assholes think they have the right to trespass on other people’s property and vandalize it, and it happens on both sides of the political spectrum. For instance I think bumper stickers are tacky and make cars look stupid but even if I didn’t I don’t think I would put political ones on my ride because to me it isn’t worth someone keying my car because they disagree with my political views.

On edit: Yeah I think I’ve seen more Bernie campaign bumper stickers even after he lost than either Hillary or Trump, And they’re usually eco-friendly cars.

I only responded to this thread because Prince.

It seems to me that signs, buttons, bumper stickers and the like have been going out of fashion for some time, but maybe that’s just me or something about the part of the country I live in. I see people wearing tee shirts, sweatshirts and jackets with all kinds of product names and logos, and years ago this didn’t used to be so common.

Maybe the cheapening (or “cheapening” if you really insist) of words and names encouraging people to buy products has affected politics, and not in a bad way, either. The only time I see people carrying signs or wearing things encouraging others to vote for a political candidate or a referendum question is on or around election day,–and I live in a city.

OP makes a good point. This is our first presidential election season living in this city, so I can’t compare to past ones, but this is a purple neighborhood in a purple state…so you’d think people would put up signs, in the hopes of changing a few neighbors’ minds.

But maybe it works the other way: people here know that some of their neighbors disagree with them politically (without always being exactly sure which neighbors), so to keep things friendly and neighborly, we refrain from provoking resentment, so no signs. That’s what my wife and I have decided for ourselves.

Lots of Russ Feingold for Senate sighs around, though. I guess down-ballot races are less provocative. Certainly, Feingold is expected to win statewide (though nothing’s guaranteed), even if (Zeus forbid) Trump were to win this state – so there must be some folks telling pollsters they’re planning to vote for Trump and Feingold.

You can be creative (with a big of hi test fishing line) like this home owner was:

(I find this pretty hilarious - and lest anyone cast aspersions I would feel the same if it was a Clinton, Johnson or Stein sign.)

I saw a Johnson sign last week driving on US 68 in Ohio. Thought that was weird, but at least it wasn’t Trump. Then within a mile I saw a Clinton and a Trump sign. Yesterday I drive up the main north-south street in town and it was Trump all over.

I haven’t gotten a Clinton sign because I’m on the road all week and worry about my house standing empty. :frowning:

I think the lack of Clinton signs and stickers may be somewhat due to stories of cars getting keyed, yards vandalized, even a dog poisoned because of the presence of a Hillary sign/sticker.

There are fewer this year, I have seen a few Trump signs and stickers, but not nearly as many as in previous cycles. It may be that they’re simply unfashionable.

I didn’t think Trump was even bothering to make signs. I’m in a reliable red state and I’ve only seen Johnson/Weld.

I drove along my old jogging route in Jefferson County Colorado looking for signs where I saw a ton of Coors and Perlmutter signs in 2012.

Two Trump/Pence signs. One of those was at a house that was flying the Gadsden Flag in 2012. The other was at a house that had a sign that read, “Vote for an American,” in 2012. The second house also had the only George Athanaopoulos sign. This sign was kind of funny because “George” was in a huge font to be the same width as “Athanaopoulos”. The last name was pretty hard to read.

Four Ed Perlmutter signs.

One sign for Michael Bennett zero for Darryl Glenn.

No signs for Clinton.

I also drove past the Trump campaign office that had a twelve-year-old as the co-chair. A month or so ago they had a ton of Trump/Pence signs all over the property but the Asian massage parlor they share a building with must have complained because today there was a lone “Make America Great Again” sign in the window. Fortunately for them, if the 2016 election doesn’t have the happy ending they are hoping for, they won’t have to go far to get one. At least for the adult campaign staff.

Lawn signs have 2 main functions:

• they provide name recognition for the candidate.
  • they can influence the votes of neighbors living nearby.

Regarding name recognition, neither Clinton nor Trump have much need for that. Which is why lawn signs are much more likely for local candidates.

Regarding influencing votes, that’s only effective for nearby neighbors, who actually know the owner of the house where the sign is placed. Nowadays, many people may not even know their neighbors well. Also, neighborhoods are often monolithic, so the lawn sign just affects neighbors who would have already voted for you anyway.

The disadvantages of lawn signs are that they are costly (actually buying them, volunteer effort to find locations, effort to put them up, effort to keep track of the locations, effort to take them down after the election, and storage space to keep for the next election). And both funds & volunteer effort for these are in short supply, so the campaign will have many other ways to use them.

There are plenty in the Memphis suburban area. It’s like they popped up overnight about a week ago. Before that I’d only seen one Trump sign. I still haven’t seen any Clintons, and only one lone Bernie sign still out.

I’ve never understood the desire for signs or bumper stickers. I cannot believe sporting one is going to change anyone’s mind about whom to vote for. But it could leave you prone to vandalism by certain elements.