Name Your Funeral Music

Let It Be - The Beatles.

As long as it’s one that ends with Porky Pig saying “Th-th-th-that’s all, folks!”

In rough preference order:

“The Last Words of David” by Randall Thompson
“The Lost Chord” by Sir Arthur Sullivan
“In Paradisum” from Faure’s Requiem
“In Paradisum” from the Gregorian chant requiem mass

For laughs:

“Amazing Grace” sung to the tune of “Gilligan’s Island.”
“Happy Trails To You” (Roy Rogers)

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python :wink:

Is his name Alex?

As for me, the aforementioned Louis Armstrong’s “…You Rascal…”
Lou Reed “What’s Good” from Magic & Loss
Collapsis “Two Egrets”
a few songs from local bands,
and to finish it off, Frank Black’s “I’m Not Dead, I’m In Pittsburgh” so that my friends down here will be left with the impression that I went back to where I was born and raised, and not left them forever.

Keep Me in Your Heart by Warren Zevon is, IMHO, absolutely perfect. I believe he wrote it after learning he was dying.

For the religious aspect, *It is Well With my Soul *is a favorite.

As a band teacher, I really like On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss, by David Holsinger. If I recall correctly, the Navy band played it at a memorial for the Columbia astronauts. It is based on It is Well With my Soul and is a wonderful piece for band. A RealAudio recording of it can be found here if you’re interested. No, that isn’t my band playing it.

I’ll have a standard, by the book funeral straight out of the Episcopal church’s Book of Common Prayer. I have four hymns listed for during the service, “Praise to the Lord the Almighty”, “I Know That My Redeemer Lives”, “Thine is the Glory”, and “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”.

As for incidental music beforehand, I’ve left it up to the organist, with a few suggestions. I want LOUD music, not the soft, solemn, stuff. I want the organist to be able to show off, pulling on the stops, using the pedals, concert type stuff.

Yes! I love this verse:

He lives and grants me daily breath;
He lives, and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare;
He lives to bring me safely there.

Whipping Post, by the Allmans. No doubt about it.

Come to think of it, I think I’ll add Loreena McKennitt’s Prospero’s Speech, and the choral section of Vangelis’ 12 O’Clock.

Yeah…they pretty much fit my mood.

Count me in as a third for Louis Armstrong’s (I’ll be glad when you’re dead) "You Rascal You’. ‘The Parting Glass’ from the 'Waking Ned Devine Soundtrack.

My kids already know my choices and I have the CDs.

Sit on My Face strikes me as oddly inappropriate, so naturally it’s my choice.

I was thinking Tom Waits too, but the song Anywhere I Lay My Head.

Same here. I would also like to have her cover of “Every Time We Say Goodbye” played too.

Last song: Samba Pa Ti, by Santana.

Beautifully soft in the beginning, gently segueing into a positive, optimistic feeling.

DeVena beat me to it:

“Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” from Monty Python’s Life of Brian. I really really want that.

My mother wanted Vivaldi’s “Spring” and she got it. My father-in-law requested Rhapsody in Blue, and he got that too.

Depressing music is depressing. The funeral is depressing enough as it is! If nobody cracks up even once, my heirs picked the wrong person to do the eulogy.

Theobroma

After the eighteenth person at my grandfather’s … service said, “This isn’t a funeral, it’s a celebration of life!” I turned to my brother and hissed, “I want a FUNERAL.”

I hate funerals that make it feel as though being sad is inappropriate. I think when someone died, it’s right and good to feel sad, and to be allowed to manifest that grief in a public, shared way. I don’t want people to be encouraged to feel happy that I’m dead.

I appreciate that there are incredibly strong feelings involved.

I have been to mournful church services where a preacher who clearly didn’t know the deceased led a strictly formal occasion. The mourners had to concentrate on following various cues to stand, sing, say amen + sit.

As I posted earlier in the thread, both my parents recently passed.
My mother planned her own funeral from her hospice bed, comlete with cheerful music. She met the lady who was to give the service and they had a lovely chat about my mother’s life and wishes.
Mum asked me to make a speech, which was the hardest thing I have ever done. I told some anecdotes about her life and finished with this true story:
After Mum had finished planning her funeral, I read back my notes to make sure I’d recorded everything correctly. Mum then said “That sounds wonderful - I wish I could be there!”
When I said this at the funeral, there was instant laughter, followed by an embarrassed hush. I told the mourners that some laughter was exactly what my Mum wanted; she had a happy life and wanted to be remembered that way.
I cried through most of the service (I’m crying now), but I found Mum’s ideas to be a huge comfort.

“He’s Gone” by The Grateful Dead.

Like a steam locomotive
rollin’ down the track
He’s go–ne, he’s gone annnd
nothin’s gonna bring him back.

Jethro Tull Slow Marching Band

And, at the end, Cheerio