"Names you associate with niggers"

It is not “casual”. Think.

Well there is always the shocking possibility that everyone may not agree with the OP. One might even believe Dr. Deth is an overly sensitive ninny.

I have lived in a poor rural area and recieved public assistance. I am quite certain I was assigned to the category of white trash. Difference is my people haven’t been oppressed for centuries by people who call us white trash. It is a pejorative term to be certain, but its equation to nigger is only by priviliged white folks who want to make damn sure they have something to whine about.

There are many words people might ask you not to use. If I endeavored to keep track of such requests I would have to keep quite a master list. I don’t typically use the term ‘white trash’, because I prefer to maintain a more or less peaceable existence on this board. I will stand up to defend those who do.

I might also suggest people cut out the offense taking by proxy. If you personally have been hurt and opressed by the use of the phrase ‘white trash’ please stand up and be counted. I would honest like to hear your story. If you just vaguely feel that we just expunge all potentially offensive speech from our vocabulary I would suggest you get a life.

No there really isn’t any need. Just a bitch fest by white people who want to whine that they too are held down by The Man.

I think that anyone who allows himself to be offended by an utterance in the form of a racial/lifestyle/ethnic slur is at least in part responsible for its continued use. Why else would the offending party hurl the insult if he didn’t believe it would hurt?

One of the concepts I was introduced to in college was that of “taking back the word.” Mostly this was done (quite consciously and openly) by the queers/faggots/dykes. By becoming overly familiar with these and other slurs the words ceased to sting. So they reasoned. I can see the same idea at work when people of different races do the same thing. Most of my black friends in The Army, for instance, would tolerate nigger…but only from someone they knew. To check the progress of this strategy, flip around some slurs and see to what extent the word has indeed been taken back!

Like George Carlin said: “No bad words…(there are) bad thoughts, bad intentions…and words (to give them form).”

The hurtfulness does not come from the word, but from the intent behind it. I don’t consider myself White Trash because I am not a slothful, wasteful leech, but I know people to whom I would afix that label. Same for any other “group.”

Like 1920’s Style Heathen halfbreeds

sigh Every time I see this it just gets stupider and stupider, bunches of people yelling and screaming for something to be offended at. It’s quite simple: “Nigger” is a word applied to people because of their skin color- a geneticly linked characteristic that is determined by a person’s genes and is completely beyond their control. “White trash” is a term applied to how a group of people act, talk, behave and chose to live-something that is completely within their control. Anyone who can’t see this HUGE difference is too stupid to pour piss out of a boot. Why not spend your outrage where there is cause for outrage, rather than on this made up, gotta-find-something-to-offend-me-or-I-won’t-be-able-to-bitch bullshit.

fruitbat–Before I get jumped on for this one, I was not aiming that last post. There is a difference between living “in a poor rural area and reciev(ing) public assistance” and being “a slothful, wasteful leech.”

Sooo, Fruitbat. It is OK to use a bigoted offensive racial term if that race hasn’t been “oppressed for centuries”? How many centuries? Is “wetback” Ok, if we have only been oppressing the migrant mexicans for less than a hundred years? How about “chink” or “slope”? After all, we no longer oppress them at all, although certainly the Chinese were oppressed for quite some time here in America. Is “Mick” Ok by you? After all, I don’t think the “No Irish need apply” oppression went on for CENTURIES. Can we use “towelhead” or “sandnigger” as we have really just started to oppress these people here in the USA?

How about this- “no casual use of any bigoted terms”? I don’t want to “expunge ALL offensive speech”- just the bigoted offensive speech. You can say “fuck” all you want, as far as I am concerned.

Daisy Cutter:

Be like a scientist and try out your hypothesis on a bunch of black folks. Then report your findings back to us. I’m dying to know what you find.

DrDerth:

Learn the history of the term “white trash” before you call it racist against whites. If anything, it’s a backhanded slap at non-whites. Don’t you notice that most people who brandish the slur are white? That should tell you a lot about the purpose of the term.

But I agree with you: it’s an ugly thing to call someone.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by DrDeth *
**Of course Diogenes :rolleyes:

“Spic” “Kike” “bogtrotter” “Mick” “no Irish need apply”.

No need to be concerned about anti-white racism. :rolleyes:

Bigotry is bigotry, racism is racism. **[/QUOTE}
The first two terms on your list are not used as anti-white slurs but are used primarily by whites to smear Latinos and Jews. I have no idea what a “bogtrotter” is but the "mick’ thing is from the 19th fucking century. There is no epidemic of anti-Irish discrimination in this country and white people are not fucking victims.

(BTW, I happen to be half Irish and I don’t give a flying fuck if someone calls me a “mick.” Just like I don’t get my panties in a bunch if someone calls me a “honky” or a “cracker” or fucking “white trash.” Those words do not even belong in the same conversation with words like “nigger,” “kike” or “spic.”

Well, I am sure that the poor people in Appalachia or elsewhere, who were born poor with very little in the way of prospects will appreciate the fact that Weirddave here now tells them “heck- being poor and being in a poor run-down neighborhood is completely within your control … just get a job”:rolleyes: Every use I have seen “white trash” used in has refered to poor white folk, usually in the South. I am sorry, but “poor” isn’t always really within someone’s “control”, nor is where you live.

The EXACT same wording came from bigots wearing white robes: “I just use the term Nigger to refer to them bad Negroes, who don’t know their place”. :rolleyes:

Ok, so if I use the term “nigger” only to refer to members of gangs like the Crips, is that OK? :rolleyes:

If black people are allowed to call each other “niggers,” and gay people are allowed to call each other “fags,” etc…

Then I see no reason why a white person like myself can’t use the term “white trash.” Seriously. Why the hell not? I’d never use it on this board, just because I seem to have lost track of my flame-retardant cape, but I’ll admit I have no problem with other people using the term, and I have used it myself IRL. I’ve also used the term “redneck.” Sue me. I know plenty; my family is from West Texas, for Pete’s sake…one could argue that I come from “white trash redneck” stock. That’s my “cultural heritage.”

So what? I think it’s funny. I have a great-uncle who talks exactly like the mouth-full-of-marbles neighbor on King Of The Hill. If I have to put up with my half-crazed racist family, at least I get to call 'em names.

:smiley:

There’s not a difference between Crips & honest folks who are treated as second class citizens?

Not that there’s anything WRONG with being a Crip. I mean one has to admire all that they contribute to society.

fruitbat, you nailed it. I’m from rural Ohio and, thanks to an asshole friend, longtime back had been called “white trash” by an African American fella. You know what? snif Up until this moment I didn’t fucking care. Cracker? Why that’s simply a different story. :dubious:

Daisy Cutter, I don’t know where you live, but I will be delighted to buy you a plane ticket to my neck o’ the woods. From LAX, I’ll personally drive you to Crenshaw and even supply you a sandwich board for your experiment.

I would propose a poll. Who personally has been held back in life because they were labelled as ‘white trash’? How many jobs have they lost that they were qualified for? How many times have they been pulled over because the police knew to be on the lookout for white trash? How many have been the victims of mob justice out to get the white trash?

I would define the term as rude. Not bigoted or terribly offensive, but not something I would say in polite company. Putting yourself on a cross as if the word is giving you stigmata is a bit much. By falling all over yourself to show solidarity with those who have been called nigger you show your ignorance of the difference between the two words.

OK, I’ve got two:

1. Hey, you rastapeñoreo he-then!

2. Hey, you good-looking hunk!

Depends on my mood.

Weirddave is right. There’s a world of difference between ‘nigger’ as condemning a whole race of people who have historically been oppressed and ‘trash’ which condemns a lifestyle.

Now, of course, putting ‘white’ before ‘trash’ makes it racist. And it is racism. But it’s hard to get worked up over condemning a race that for the most part, on average, over all (you gather that there are exceptions to the rule which do not invalidate the over all rule, right?) had all the power.
Peace.

We need Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

What this thread really needs is some Nazis. And Hitler.

It’s because of threads like this that Hitler killed the Nazis. Or something.

GMRyujin - Thank you I was getting worked up until I read that. Truly the funniest thing I’ve read in weeks.

Much better.

You forgot “pickle, onion”, you godless half-breed wannabe yuppie breeder ijit!

[sub]OK, not my best effort, but what do expect for free?[/sub] :smiley:

Before or after he bombed Pearl Harbor?

Having now gone and read the other thread (which I had happily ignored, as opposed to this one which made me wonder who was deserving of a little hate today), I have to say: The other thread is just fine and this one is rather offensive.

How many people who are offended here are offended because someone did something very ugly to them, their family or their ancestors and used the term “white trash” in the process?

Some here have a chip their shoulders because other races get an ugly word like “nigger”, and they don’t.

It’s not even close to the same, and you just look silly.