Near-death experiences

In a listing of possible explanations for NDE’s, the following was given:

“(3) Just a hallucination. Fine, but why does everybody have the same hallucination?”

Here is a thought I had a few years ago (when I was still deciding if I believed in God) that has stuck with me ever since.

All my life I have been told that when I die, I’m going to go through a dark tunnel towards a light. I’ll experience happiness, feel like I’m floating over my body, etc…

I think chances are good that I will know (at least on some level) when my body is dying. Similar to the way some animals realize they are dying and prepare for it. I think it’s possible that my mind, knowing it is dying, will create the “death experience” that I have been expecting my whole life.

Ever almost hurt yourself, any yelled “Ouch!” because you expected to be hurt? Same idea.

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for posting your comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the straight dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at this link:

Do near-death experiences prove there is life after death?

moderator, Comments on Cecil’s Columns

Looks like I was busted in under 2 hours. :slight_smile:

Thank you for finding the page I was refering to. I promise it won’t happen again. :slight_smile:

Two hours? Sheesh, Arnold, you’re slowing down…

Don’t worry, misterbunny… He does this to everyone. :slight_smile: