Need advice on propping up head of bed

My doctor recommended I prop up the head of my bed 4-6 inches to prevent acid reflux at night, using bricks, wooden blocks, or special made bed risers like these

http://www.target.com/p/honey-can-do-bed-risers-set-of-4/-/A-15743595?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15743595&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Storage%2BOrganization%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Storage%2BOrganization&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9005630&gclid=CPny7Ji1y8oCFQsjHwodTfQEqg&gclsrc=aw.ds
That might work fine on a normal bed frame with 4 legs, but I have a select comfort air mattress which has it own modular plastic frame which has 6 legs not 4, and the long piece of the side is 2 pieces joined together instead of one long piece. If I prop up the head, the 2 legs in the middle will be floating in midair and probably bend the frame.

Here is a diagram I made of what it looks like

Here is a picture of someone assembling a frame

Is there anyone here who can figure out a way to also support the legs in the middle so it wont bend the frame over time?

Why not use a shorter version of whatever you use for the head?

Have you looked at a pillow wedge rather than messing around with the bed frame?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/pillow-wedges

I used one for a while for the same reason and it seemed to work.

If you use a box spring, you may be able to elevate the head of it rather than the bedframe.

You could also build a sub-frame for the main frame (all six legs) to sit on, then elevate the head of the sub-frame.

Or put a half-height brace under the middle pair of legs–elevate the head, say, 6" and the middle 3".

Yeah, this. They also sell them at the Relax the Back store.

It’s often felt that bending at the waist can also promote reflux; so the official recommendation is tilting the entire bed.

It’s still worth trying if it is substantially easier.

I would make a 6" high wood block for each of the posts at the head end. I would then make 3" blocks for the center posts. I would also angle the tops of these blocks slightly so the posts will sit flat… Fine tuning will probably be required so there are no undue stresses on the frame. I would make the blocks considerably bigger than the footprint of the bed posts so that movements will not cause the bed to fall. Six inches seems a bit excessive to me. I would think 4 inches would be adequate. jmho

Please, people, let the expert speak–that would be my wife, who went online and found this:

The frame fits inside your existing bed frame and for the head of the bed you install the 2", 4" or 6" upright (for king size you get two frames–one for each box spring). Ain’t cheap, but my GERD has fled the scene.

The pillow doesn’t bend you at the waist. It’s a very gentle slope, maybe 30 degrees. You position the narrow end of the pillow against your hips, not your waist, so your whole upper body is raised.

Tilting the whole bed is preferable, but if it’s not possible…

You can get a wedge “pillow” that’s the size of your entire mattress. I have one for my own acid reflux troubles.

Put 1 brick under each center leg and 2 bricks under each head leg. It looks like your center legs are equally spaced about the mid-point of the rails which makes this work. (?)

Yes, this. Add shims if needed.

The nice thing about a pillow is it can be utilized for other activities :wink:

Well, so can bricks.

Oh, well, maybe not those other activities. (Maybe. :confused:)

Better yet, get a couple of 1" x 4" boards and put one on each side, under the support legs. Then put bricks or whatever spacers under th head end until it is raised the amount you want (3-4 inches, probably). Then put additional shorter spacers underneath the boards ar appropriate places to support the boards. The boards keep the whole frame straight, without any excess stress on it.

I’ve done this for my acid reflux (which thankfully hasn’t been a problem since I’ve lost a lot of weight) and here is something to consider:

I first tried the method of adding risers/blocks under the legs/supports of the bed. The problem was that then my tall headboard looked really strange angled away from the wall so much. I also worried about the lateral stress this configuration would put on the legs. So I decided against this method.

I have a box-spring underneath my mattress, so I cut some lengths of 1x4 lumber to the width of my bed frame. I screwed 5 of the 1x4 pieces together and put them under the box-spring at the head of the frame, and screwed another 3 together and put them under the box-spring about halfway between the head and the foot of the bed, for support in the middle. It worked well, it was cheap, and it didn’t make my bed look like it was trying to sit up.

You could maybe try jacking up the side of the house.

Or lowering the opposite end. Not many people have a huge jack, but almost everyone has a shovel.

I looked into those wedge pillows, but the vast majority were that half-length size that only reaches to your hips. Well, I sleep on my side. I don’t want to substitute a back problem from sleeping in a bent-sideways position for acid reflux. I went with the props under the legs at the head of the bed.

That entire slanted bedframe thing looks interesting, though. If the cheap plastic blocks I’m using now ever give out, I’ll look into that one.

Something like that might work with the Select Comfort if you put a board under the mattress (on top of the frame); the SCs have little internal structure so without the board, it would just sag through the open bits.

That said: try the triangular pillow first. The waist bend isn’t that significant, and it’s a cheap and easily-removed solution. I used one for a bit when they thought I had rapidly-worsening GERD. The downside is, I like to fall asleep on my side and that made it VERY tough to do.

The “whole-mattress” pillow thing that Miller suggested looks interesting. The possible downside of it with a Select Comfort might be that the SC is so light, friction wouldn’t keep it from sliding off the pillow. We have a SC and ours tends to shift side to side just from normal getting on and off the bed.